29er tires

June 23, 2015, 6:45 a.m.

Right now I am running butchers front and rear and am looking at either the rock razor or the grid slaughter.

June 23, 2015, 9:01 a.m.

Anyone else have experience with the hr2 wearing fast? I think mine lasted 3 months. Trying Hans dampf \rock razr combo next. Magic Mary was good in the front but little loose on the hard pack and pretty slow rolling for all around conditions.

June 23, 2015, 9:06 a.m.

Im stoked on my Butcher/Slaughter combo in the grid casing, will buy again.

June 23, 2015, 10:19 a.m.

I haven't tried a trail star compound schwalbe yet. The rock razor looks like a good option. How's it compare with the control purg? I would assume faster rolling, less breaking bite but pretty good traction in the wet with the trail star? Lots of bite whilst cornering? Sounds like what I'm looking for if so.

This is a good tire. If anything too wide for me as I like to cut through the loose to the hard stuff underneath.

The trailstar version is a SG casing so a heavier duty tire, which worked well for me as well.

I ran the this tire last year all year. Great in all conditions, good traction surprisingly in a straight line, probably because of said width, and corners fantastic when you lean the bike.

The side nobs wore to nothing and the center tread was still in good shape. WTF!

June 23, 2015, 10:21 a.m.

Anyone else have experience with the hr2 wearing fast? I think mine lasted 3 months. Trying Hans dampf \rock razr combo next. Magic Mary was good in the front but little loose on the hard pack and pretty slow rolling for all around conditions.

Those little nobs don't have any neighbours to support them, so yeah they don't last long.

June 23, 2015, 10:46 a.m.

I wasn't a fan of the HDs when I tried them. I vote for the DHRII/Rock Razor combo.

This is a good tire. If anything too wide for me as I like to cut through the loose to the hard stuff underneath.

The trailstar version is a SG casing so a heavier duty tire, which worked well for me as well.

I ran the this tire last year all year. Great in all conditions, good traction surprisingly in a straight line, probably because of said width, and corners fantastic when you lean the bike.

The side nobs wore to nothing and the center tread was still in good shape. WTF!

I can't believe the 2.35 Rock Razor is a 60 ETRTO. A smaller tire would be nice something in the 55-58 range for a rear

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 25, 2015, 1:21 p.m.

Anyone have experience with the Maxxis Ardent Race 29er 2.2 EXO/TR? Weight looks good. Tread looks fast in the middle. A lot lighter than the Slaughter or the Rock Razor but I guess that's due to it being dubbed xc/trail instead of ENDURO.:fruit:

But seriously…thoughts on it?

Wrong. Always.

June 25, 2015, 1:23 p.m.

^^ much less likely to kill you than the original Ardent

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 25, 2015, 1:35 p.m.

^^ much less likely to kill you than the original Ardent

i thought the race was a faster rolling/less grippy version of the ardent. do the smaller-but-more-plentiful knobs make it less scary?

i'm considering picking up a 2.4 ardent for looooong days, to match up with a 2.35 ikon, as per kp's suggestion in another thread

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 25, 2015, 2:42 p.m.

Hmm…Ikon 2.35 EXO. That's ticking some boxes as a rear tire for me.

Where's the best price locally for one of these? (I imagine it's over $100 like Maxxis tend to be.)

Wrong. Always.

June 25, 2015, 3:14 p.m.

Hmm…Ikon 2.35 EXO. That's ticking some boxes as a rear tire for me.

Where's the best price locally for one of these? (I imagine it's over $100 like Maxxis tend to be.)

It is a killer tire.

June 25, 2015, 10:13 p.m.

It is a killer tire.

i'll second that. huge volume fast roller cushy and sufficiently grippy. maybe not a winter tire but awesome right now. dig.

June 25, 2015, 10:28 p.m.

Anyone have experience with the Maxxis Ardent Race 29er 2.2 EXO/TR? Weight looks good. Tread looks fast in the middle. A lot lighter than the Slaughter or the Rock Razor but I guess that's due to it being dubbed xc/trail instead of ENDURO.:fruit:

I have a 650b Ardent Race 2.2 EXO/TR/3C at the front and Ikon 2.2 at the back for the last month or so. I quite like the Ardent Race but find I have to be really careful not to lock up and skid the Ikon on the back compared with a 2.3 High Roller II I had on before. I think I'd have preferred Ardent Race front and back. We just got the Ardent Race 2.2 EXO/TR/3C for my wife's Tallboy 29er so will know what she thinks after 95km this weekend.

June 25, 2015, 10:42 p.m.

It is a killer tire.

Yup, a late spring - summer - early fall favorite. Great volume but not too big for most 29ers, good tread life, good traction and very predictable.

Don't overlook the Ardent 2.4 either. It feels like a different tire than the 2.25. I'd also like to get my hands on an Ardent Race 29. I liked it in a 26" tire.

July 31, 2015, 8:13 p.m.

;-)
I was thinking just the other day: Nokian should re-launch the 3" Gazzi in a 29'er version…

just browsing an long thread from the beginning and saw this.
DrewM inspired the 29+ movement with this comment!

as for tires i picked up a Maxxis Ikon 2.35 exo thinking it looked like a nice replacement for my slaughter on the rear.