29er tires

Oct. 17, 2013, 4:20 a.m.

You're showing a standard High Roller on the left. The High Roller 2 looks more like a mini block DHR2. Similar characteristics overall but the HR2 is better in loam while the DHR2 is better when the going gets rough and nasty due to beefier knobs that don't let go.

Oct. 17, 2013, 9:13 a.m.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 17, 2013, 9:21 a.m.

You're showing a standard High Roller on the left.

oops, good catch!

wow, new tread looks even more like that of the dhr2. except the siping on the centre knobs runs in the opposite direction, hmmm…

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 17, 2013, 10:01 a.m.

I've ridden both tires a fair bit over the last few months. The DHR2 is a very stable cornering tire. The side knobs are huge and well supported. Braking performance is unparalleled. The only down side is slower rolling than the HR2 and the large sturdier knobs don't flex as much in the sense that they don't find grip at slower speeds in roots and loose conditions.

The HR2 wears faster and the cornering knobs are flexier so it can't be pushed as hard as the DHR2. However, the smaller knobs find traction everywhere and bite through mud, roots, and loam much better.

Given the knob size on the HR2, the ride feel on the MaxxTerra version is slightly "stickier" than the DHR2 due to the flex, but this is only good at low to medium speeds. When you want to push hard, the DHR2 is a better tire.

For that sub 800 gram tire choice, I can highly recommend the Continental Trail King RaceSport 29x2.2. The sidewalls are not as thin as you think (durable enough for winter when casings slide rather than tear), the Trail King tread pattern is very good, Black Chil is the magic blend of good durometer and wear, and the 2.2 size is similar to a Maxxis 2.35 size, so a comfortable looking tire, especially if mounted on a wide rim like the Flow EX.

Oct. 17, 2013, 7:11 p.m.

I tried out the DHR2 on the front today. Ken is right in his comparison to the HR2. I do find it 'feels' fast and not draggy, but it's on the front. A bit narrower than the HR2 perhaps. Really well supported lugs. Just over 800 gr, for the weight conscious sticky tire crowd :)

Blows the HD out of the water, much more supple.

Nov. 22, 2013, 8:46 a.m.

Time to change the rear tire of my SJ FSR (MY 2011). I'd like to go with a 2.3" HR2 or a 2.3" DHR2, but I have some doubts abouts tire size: will they fit on my bike? Someone can compare the actual width of those tires to Ardent 2.25/Nobby Nic 2.25/Specialized Purgatory 2.3 so I can have an idea of the size? Thank you.

Nov. 22, 2013, 8:58 a.m.

Time to change the rear tire of my SJ FSR (MY 2011). I'd like to go with a 2.3" HR2 or a 2.3" DHR2, but I have some doubts abouts tire size: will they fit on my bike? Someone can compare the actual width of those tires to Ardent 2.25/Nobby Nic 2.25/Specialized Purgatory 2.3 so I can have an idea of the size? Thank you.

HR2 would be great, but also consider the Butcher 2.3 for the rear.

Nov. 22, 2013, 9 a.m.

The HR2 and DHR2 aren't that much bigger than the ones you listed. I think the DHR2 is slightly better.
I had a Butcher and Purgatory on my Enduro 29 and hated them both. But lots of people really like them so don't take my word for it!

Next time I'm going to try running two DHR2s.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 22, 2013, 10:06 a.m.

Thank you for the answers.

but also consider the Butcher 2.3 for the rear.

I had a Butcher and Purgatory on my Enduro 29 and hated them both. But lots of people really like them so don't take my word for it!

I'm not in love with Specialized tires: actually Purgatory Control was not that bad, but I ripped the sidewalls in no time… well, to be honest the "Control" version lasted a month more than the "S-Works" I had on the front :D

The HR2 and DHR2 aren't that much bigger than the ones you listed.

Glad to hear this, they should fit in my SJ.

I think the DHR2 is slightly better.

Never tried one, neither in 26" format… but I read of many guys using HR2 on the fornt and DHR2 on the rear, so I was thinking to try that setup. I see the DHR2 is lighter than HR2… what about rolling resistance? I've heard different opinions about that.

Nov. 22, 2013, 12:46 p.m.

going sub 800g on a 29er tire that's good in wet BC terrain is essentially impossible. either the tires mentioned, or dropping down seriously in weight and durability is the Maxxis Beaver. great tire, limited application.

Conti has the mountain king. The 2.2 is 730 gm and the 2.4 only a bit more. Good tire in protection format, tubeless ready and black chili rubber.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 22, 2015, 10:06 p.m.

Say Padres whTs the latest in grippy yet fast rolling rear 29er tires. The mountain king black chilli sounds cool or the spec slaughter. I run a butcher up front and purg in the back but wouldn't mind something a bit faster rolling than purgatory Don't want something that will get scary on wet roots.

Wrong. Always.

June 22, 2015, 10:25 p.m.

Don't want something that will get scary on wet roots.

Da Fuct???:???:

Im on a TrailStar Rock Razor on the back. So far so good. I came from a Purg Control before. DHRII up front

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 22, 2015, 10:34 p.m.

The slaughter and butcher grid combo is working well for me. Just did comfortably numb during the Saturday thunder storm and was surprised by the traction on the roots.

June 23, 2015, 5:56 a.m.

I haven't tried a trail star compound schwalbe yet. The rock razor looks like a good option. How's it compare with the control purg? I would assume faster rolling, less breaking bite but pretty good traction in the wet with the trail star? Lots of bite whilst cornering? Sounds like what I'm looking for if so.

Wrong. Always.

June 23, 2015, 5:59 a.m.

The slaughter and butcher grid combo is working well for me. Just did comfortably numb during the Saturday thunder storm and was surprised by the traction on the roots.

Good to know. Slaughter looks like a great option. If I go with that I'll do the grid casing as I find my controls too squirmy when running low psi.

Wrong. Always.