29er tires

May 21, 2013, 9:32 a.m.

For BC the ground control isn't very confidence inspiring. Down in Cali it rocks pretty good…

Fast Trak is similar to crossmark and quite good traction

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

May 21, 2013, 10:01 a.m.

What casing was your GC slynx?

Ground Control
Casing: 420/D1 (for 15% improved cut resistance)
29 inch/2.1

The tire is good. I just did not like the way it constantly slipped when grinding uphill. I like the look of the Fast Track, I will give that one a go next. With all the new tires out, I find it funny that I went back to a tire that I have ridden for years.

May 22, 2013, 2:05 p.m.

anyone logged time on a wtb dissent 2.5? big fat tire with huge knobs and supposedly sticky rubber

only review i could find was from our friend guitar ted, who raved about their performance on recently flooded walking trails, "hard surfaces" (road?) and curbs

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 22, 2013, 3:28 p.m.

Had a ground control tire for the last three weeks as a rear tire. Can't say I loved the tire. Raced it in the sunshine coaster and rode it around squamish and Pemby. I found its climbing traction pretty mediocre (and played with different air pressures). Descending it was good. Biggest downfall was the tire aged really quickly. Side walls, are worn paper thin, and I managed to put a slice in it this weekend in Pemby.

Went back to a maxis crossmark. Rode Pemby and squish with it and felt it performed way better (climbing, cornering, and trail ripping). Mind you the cross mark is still terror- flying on slabs.

I agree, LOVED the crossmark until i hit some rockwork. So generally is a great tire unless you're heading down an armoured route.

May 22, 2013, 3:51 p.m.

After a couple of rides I'm quite happy with the 2.3 Purg/GC combo for descending. Definitely more confidence inspiring than the 2.3/2.1 GCs.

However, the 2.3 GC out back seems to get less traction than the 2.1 did when climbing – possibly a function of the wider rather than longer contact patch?

flickr

May 23, 2013, 7:50 a.m.

I agree, LOVED the crossmark until i hit some rockwork. So generally is a great tire unless you're heading down an armoured route.

Or turning while riding fast…that's where I found it to be less than stellar. I like my bike to be fairly planted in all situations and the crossmark was just too loose in the turns.

May 23, 2013, 10:39 a.m.

Or turning while riding fast…that's where I found it to be less than stellar. I like my bike to be fairly planted in all situations and the crossmark was just too loose in the turns.

Was that on a 26" or 29"?

You'll find that the same tire in different sizes don't necessarily perform the same.

May 23, 2013, 10:42 a.m.

Was that on a 26" or 29"?

You'll find that the same tire in different sizes don't necessarily perform the same.

That was on my 26.

May 24, 2013, 7:14 a.m.

anyone logged time on a wtb dissent 2.5? big fat tire with huge knobs and supposedly sticky rubber

only review i could find was from our friend guitar ted, who raved about their performance on recently flooded walking trails, "hard surfaces" (road?) and curbs

Yeah, I have. They are BIG tires. They're noticably wider than the 2.5 Minion, which is what I have on my Prime now(and a 2.3 DHR2 in back). They're also heavier (than the EXO Minions), running around 1250 grams, but IMO if you're actually considering tires like these, you might actually want the weight, or at least the peace of mind it brings you. I'm planning to buy a pair of the 2-ply DHFs when they come out for desert trips and big alpine days, for example.

I live in Montana and have ridden mine around the intermountain west and desert SW, so as far as sticky rubber, I can't comment on how they might handle your conditions. The Dissents were great desert tires and hold (dry) rock really well. I prefer the knobs on the Minions, and by a large margin. They grip better in the loose limestone rubble we have here.

All this might be moot, though. The supply seems to have dried up.

May 30, 2013, 9:57 p.m.

OMG the ever important 29er tire thread fell off the first page, must do something…

i love big inspiring chunky tires for the chunder that is much of BC riding but sometimes i just want to shed the boat anchors to feel faster lighter for the never ending climbs. so i put my beavers back on and while they are racy and paper thin, they are pretty cool tires. lots of grip. i think it's more my psychology than anything that can hold me back with these when it comes to going down.

i bought a Spesh Butcher off a showroom stock bike (OBB, great guys) as i've been coveting this super soft compound tire. i seem to have either boat anchor tires, or race tires, however that happened, but these are around 820 grams and gummy as all get out. i'm optimistic that it's going to live up to it's promise of being amazingly grippy and paired with the HDamp, could be the ultimate wet weather combo for shore type riding.

May 31, 2013, 7:20 p.m.

Well I gotta say the Purgatory is coming off tomorrow. If you live somewhere that has no climbing, no descending, no rocks, no roots and no rain I bet it's a great tire. I've been running EXO and heavier style sticky tires for so long that I forgot about the limitations of a pure XC tire, which are alarming when you're trying to ride steep rocky things in the wet.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 31, 2013, 7:42 p.m.

That's kinda funny, I just switched to a Purgatory on the front of the Camber because I wanted to get more grip!

flickr

May 31, 2013, 8:20 p.m.

Well I gotta say the Purgatory … a pure XC tire.

bahahaha.. hardly.

I still quite like them, for all around. [HTML_REMOVED]control casing, 28PSI front, 30 rear, tubeless.[HTML_REMOVED]

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

May 31, 2013, 10:04 p.m.

Well I gotta say the Purgatory is coming off tomorrow. If you live somewhere that has no climbing, no descending, no rocks, no roots and no rain I bet it's a great tire. I've been running EXO and heavier style sticky tires for so long that I forgot about the limitations of a pure XC tire, which are alarming when you're trying to ride steep rocky things in the wet.

What pressure are you running the Purgatorys? I've noticed since I've switched to big wheels, is that I prefer a bit lower pressure than typical for me. 28/30 in the dry and a bit lower in the wet. I find they have great grip for how well they roll. I spent a super greasy day last weekend in Cumberland on the rocks and the roots and (I thought) they were great. They do 'move' a bit on wet rocks and roots off camber…but just until they hook up with the side lugs. Now for XC tires…Ground Control front, Fast Trak rear are smoking fast.

When there's dirt, I like the Purgatory a lot:

https://vimeo.com/66880963

May 31, 2013, 11:40 p.m.

Same experience for me with my new Stumpy Evo 29.
The Butcher in the front is ok, but the purgatory in the rear is just not grippy enough for me.