29er tires

Aug. 23, 2012, 12:26 p.m.

Rear - Racing Ralph 2.25 with the Snakeskin casing
Front - Nobby Nic 2.35 wiht Snakeskin casing

That is a good combo for a weight-minded shore setup if you don't need copious traction. For really awesome traction but a bit more weight there is the Hans Dampf 2.35 Trailstar (850g) front and Nobby Nic 2.25 Pacestar (690g?) rear combination. It's what I run on my Bandit29 and I absolutely love it, the confidence the HD front gives me is worth every gram.

Aug. 23, 2012, 12:48 p.m.

That is a good combo for a weight-minded shore setup if you don't need copious traction. For really awesome traction but a bit more weight there is the Hans Dampf 2.35 Trailstar (850g) front and Nobby Nic 2.25 Pacestar (690g?) rear combination. It's what I run on my Bandit29 and I absolutely love it, the confidence the HD front gives me is worth every gram.

I ran the HD / NN combo in 26 on my trail bike this winter/early spring. Honestly I think the HD sucks as a front tire and the NN is a slow rear tire. I did not like that combo.

Aug. 23, 2012, 12:50 p.m.

Got to agree with both shirk and lbs, except the HD is heavy. I was using the 26" version and traction is very good but they feel dead. Perhaps the tire is a bit stiff and the climbing I like to do was a bit too challenging with that tire.

The last time I used Michelin XC tires was scary. Their DH tires were good but those grey coloured things on wet rock were like plastic soled dress shoes on snow. I was so upset that I took them off the bike when I got home and pitched them in the garbage right away.

Kenda's have always been a total pain to set up tubeless and those Nevegals that some people love were never great for me. Not terrible either. And all those goofy Hans Rey and Eric Carter tread patterns?

Always liked Maxxis Crossmark tires. Larsen was pretty good too but I don't think they are made in a 29. Ikon? Please try some and report because I like the weight of those.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 27, 2012, 5:49 a.m.

crossmark 29 rides just like the original - fast and loose as a dry conditions rear tire.
ikon is like every other round-profile micro-knobby (moderate predictable traction as long as you don't push it hard), so if you like SB8 and larsen you'll probably like it. casing is small, so 2.2 is more like 2.1 (even smaller than larsen 2.35). they are light indeed, but mine didn't last long - tore up the "exo" sidewalls quickly in terrain where the regular crossmark sidewall, and schwalbe/specialized tires have done well in.

Aug. 27, 2012, 8:46 a.m.

ikon is like every other round-profile micro-knobby (moderate predictable traction as long as you don't push it hard), so if you like SB8 and larsen you'll probably like it.

what's your take on the semi-micro's? i rode cyps with a guy on slant six's yesterday (supposed to be a cross between the sb8 and the nevegal) and he seemed to be having no problem with control in the steeps and chutes, though the knobs on those things still look pretty pinner. but maybe the greater spacing vs. a true micro helps them hook up a bit better in the corners and on the brakes? rode them around in the parking lot, felt like rolling high volume slicks (at least compared to my minions)!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 4, 2012, 12:59 p.m.

First impressions:

2.25 Nobby Nic Snakeskin front setup ghetto tubeless on a cheapass 29 rim and 2.25 Racing Ralph rear setup No-Tubes™

The Snakeskin Racing Ralph wasn't easy to find, so I went with the lighter version. My new rear wheel (all right then Ken, Chris King rear hub hand built by yours truely on Stan's ZTR Flows) ended up reducing bike weight by 500 grams over the Deore hubs and tubed 2.1 cheap tires. Brilliant!

Tire volume is excellent for Shore XC, keeping it light. Road and path riding is excellent, as is XC loamy climbing. DH ride still to be had…

Thanks all for the suggestions! I hope the lightweight Racing Ralph holds up to sidewall tears.

Sept. 4, 2012, 3:03 p.m.

Put in lots of time on the 2.25 Nics with Snakeskin/TL/Pacestar. Good tires, work great tubeless, traction is very good in dry/loose stuff. A bit scary leaning the tire over on hardpack as the side knobs will give way very suddenly and there's no getting it back. Wear in the rear has been not good, but front is good (Do front tires ever wear out?) Going to switch to a Rocket Ron in the rear soon for better rolling and hopefully better cornering (more support on the side knobs). Very happy with the casing as far as durability is concerned.

Running the tires on Haven Carbon 29 wheels with no burping and a tight fit. The tubeless experience is different with every combo, so important to state the rim I think.

Sept. 4, 2012, 5:27 p.m.

Put in lots of time on the 2.25 Nics with Snakeskin/TL/Pacestar. Good tires, work great tubeless, traction is very good in dry/loose stuff. A bit scary leaning the tire over on hardpack as the side knobs will give way very suddenly and there's no getting it back. Wear in the rear has been not good, but front is good (Do front tires ever wear out?) Going to switch to a Rocket Ron in the rear soon for better rolling and hopefully better cornering (more support on the side knobs). Very happy with the casing as far as durability is concerned.

Running the tires on Haven Carbon 29 wheels with no burping and a tight fit. The tubeless experience is different with every combo, so important to state the rim I think.

Well, you would say that running Haven Carbons….

Cheers Ben

Sept. 4, 2012, 8:14 p.m.

Well, you would say that running Haven Carbons….

Cheers Ben

Well that's one way to look at it ;)

Sept. 5, 2012, midnight

what's your take on the semi-micro's?

does a racing ralph count? to me they're fine for cruising around but you sure aren't going to be smashing around much with them, though a loose rear tire can be pretty fun.

next year i plan to completely avoid racing, looking forward to running proper tires again.

Sept. 5, 2012, 6:31 a.m.

next year i plan to completely avoid racing, looking forward to running proper tires again.

Even the Nimby?

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Sept. 5, 2012, 1:49 p.m.

Especially the nimby. My relief is unmeasurable.

Sept. 5, 2012, 2:03 p.m.

Especially the nimby. My relief is unmeasurable.

I sort of know how you feel. There were some weekends where I felt like I was a little hostage to having to get a training ride in. I'm thinking that next year, all I will be 'racing' is the FVMBA spring series.

Sept. 5, 2012, 9:16 p.m.

the only racing I do is Red Racer.

IPA that is.

Sept. 7, 2012, 11:41 p.m.

1. Racing Ralph without Snakeskin
2. 1 cup Stans sealant (Stan's little cup, not 250 ml)
3. 1 week later
4. ??????
5. No profit - still hissing from the sidewalls.

Get the Snakeskin if you can find it.