29er tires

June 10, 2012, 8:33 p.m.

Based on the recommendations in the thread I picked up a couple of Specialized Purgatory tires from Corsa on the way down. I'll post my comments after a few rides.

Thanks to everyone who recommended the Purgatory, they worked great for the loamy [HTML_REMOVED] sometimes muddy conditions on Burke today. They only thing that packed them up and became slippery is clay but I'm not sure anything would work for that.

I'm running the 2.2 and didn't find myself wanting the bigger 2.4

July 10, 2012, 11 p.m.

Thanks to everyone who recommended the Purgatory, they worked great for the loamy [HTML_REMOVED] sometimes muddy conditions on Burke today. They only thing that packed them up and became slippery is clay but I'm not sure anything would work for that.

I'm running the 2.2 and didn't find myself wanting the bigger 2.4

Hey Craig I just put Bontrager 29.4 EXP on mine….great traction, same tread pattern as the previous poster posted on the bontrager XR? I think it was. I got 2.3's and i cant upgrade my front derailleur because it rubs on the derailleur…tried 4 different derailleurs, none worked…may single speed the bike, considering it.

July 11, 2012, 2:03 p.m.

Butcher 29x2.3 finally confirmed, will be a game-changer for anyone riding hard on big wheels

July 11, 2012, 3:25 p.m.

Butcher 29x2.3 finally confirmed, will be a game-changer for anyone riding hard on big wheels

Great news!

July 11, 2012, 3:58 p.m.

literal bike boner…if it's the control casing.

July 11, 2012, 9:28 p.m.

literal bike boner…if it's the control casing.

yeah no kidding, I can't believe how my Purgatorys have been holding up.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

July 12, 2012, 10:08 a.m.

Coming in control version. Some trails in whistler/Pemby will shred the sidewalls if you're not careful, just have to tip-toe a bit, but they're good everywhere else I can think of.

July 12, 2012, 10:38 a.m.

^ how do i get these, where?
WANT.

July 12, 2012, 10:43 a.m.

Butcher would be VERY appealing. Running a fresh Racing Ralph 2.25 (seems more like a 2.3 in volume) with the triple compound and snakeskin. So far only 3 rides and things are dryer now, but very happy with traction, especially in the corners in those 3 rides.

July 12, 2012, 11:56 a.m.

Intrigued by this Butcher situation. I've never tried the 26" version. But I am continuously blown away by my Hans Dampf, it is head and shoulders above any tire I've ever tried before. In 6 months of riding it's never let me down once and always feels totally predictable.

July 16, 2012, 10:52 p.m.

For anyone reading this tire thread, keep in mind that tire performance is very location [HTML_REMOVED] condition specific.

I had the Ardents on for 2 local rides (Pemberton [HTML_REMOVED] Whistler) and didn't like them at all. Changed them out for the Purgatory.

Just got back from an Eastern Washington road trip, 7 rides on the Ardents and they worked fine. Now that I'm back they are coming off, I'll keep them for rides on the dry(er) side of the mountains.

Aug. 16, 2012, 9:08 a.m.

I had the Ardents on for 2 local rides (Pemberton [HTML_REMOVED] Whistler) and didn't like them at all. Changed them out for the Purgatory.

Just got back from an Eastern Washington road trip, 7 rides on the Ardents and they worked fine. Now that I'm back they are coming off, I'll keep them for rides on the dry(er) side of the mountains.

Recently killed both of them on one Chilcotin ride, cut sidewalls both front [HTML_REMOVED] rear. Last time I'll be using them.

Maxxis, it you are reading this the Ardent needs a better sidewall.

Aug. 16, 2012, 9:14 a.m.

These Bontys look like they could be pretty good. Has anyone tried them yet?

Thinking of buying a set of these as back up for the Purgatory I have on the bike now. Anyone running them for Metro Van, Whistler, Squamish, Pemberton [HTML_REMOVED] Chilcotin conditions?

Any Trek dealers in Metro Van stock them?

Aug. 16, 2012, 12:23 p.m.

^i'm really happy with these at the moment. great in bone dry mixed conditions in cumberland last night.
http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2667669[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=1517

Aug. 16, 2012, 4:12 p.m.

^i'm really happy with these at the moment. great in bone dry mixed conditions in cumberland last night.
http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2667669[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=1517

this is not a fast rolling tire. it's got a noticeable drag compared to other luggy competitors like the purgatory and the hans dampf. i guess this isn't unexpected given the very open center tread profile. i'd guess that if they decreased the spacing between adjacent rows of center knobs by 20-30% there would be a nice improvement.

on the other hand, this is by far the best cornering 29er tire i've swung a leg over. even though the tread profile is rounder than i would like, the side knobs engage predictably and hold a line really well. i'm going to attribute this to the "just right" side knob spacing, good compound (58 center, 56 side knobs are soft but not squirmy), and the "gussets" between the intermediate and side knobs. i really like tread that sees many edges when viewed from the side.

the open center tread, lots of edges, good compound, and slight overall chevron theme also make it a great braking tire too.

other notes:
- mounted tightly on a tubeless rim (notubes flow)
- front sidewall was really porous, sealant was literally squirting out pinholes, and took several air fill cycles to seal up.
- sidewalls strength-wise seem comparable to a specialized control casing. definitely on the light side of the spectrum for trail blasting the rocky terrain around here, but probably appropriate for most of the market.
- because it corners so well, i seem to be squeaking air out the rear bead when really railing on it, even though I'm starting at 36-38psi. I'm going to deflate, add more sealant, and get lots of sealant at the bead interface to really glue it down.

Thanks for the detailed review. Copied it over here to it is in the 29er tire thread too.

Any comments on it's performace in the wet? Wet roots? Wet rock?