29er tires

Oct. 17, 2011, 1:53 p.m.

Do they make 140mm 29ers with slacker angles and longer wheelbases? Forgive my ignorance.

lenz has a few, niner has the wfo; by the spring the banshee prime and transition bandit 29 should be available

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 17, 2011, 3:10 p.m.

plenty and growing. google 'norco shinobi' and get ready to read some gushing about a bike as you describe.

Oct. 17, 2011, 8:35 p.m.

but what i want to know is, are the Aspen's SUPER FAST?

;-)

i've got a Beaver, yet to mount it though, real helpful eh? i think the sidewall is finally cooked on my Captain, the Bev will go on this week.

if Bogey posts, i think he's got a Beaver on his Tallboy and is very impressed with it. narrow though, it looks like a dedicated race tire.

I'm riding one now on the rear of a loaner bike. It corners well, even in sloppy conditions, and it climbs decently over wet roots and rocks, but its nowhere near the rolling efficiency of a Crossmark and the straight line braking is kinda meh. If it were my bike, I'd switch it to the front and maybe put an Ikon in back.

I was thinking of the Beaver as a front tire with the Aspen in the back. The Beaver knobs are super sticky and straightline braking is my secondary concern (cornering support being number 1 and the scariest thing about the Aspen in the wet).

Interested in more review. For now I am going to run a Nic I had already.

2.4 Purg's for me front and rear on the Stumpy… I need max traction and bigger tires have less rolling resistance.

I was thinking just the other day: Nokian should re-launch the 3" Gazzi in a 29'er version…

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Oct. 17, 2011, 9:15 p.m.

…i've got a Beaver, yet to mount it though…

ha!

Oct. 17, 2011, 9:20 p.m.

Do they make 140mm 29ers with slacker angles and longer wheelbases?

intense 29
stumpjumper 29 (enduro 29 coming next)
yeti SB-95
tallboy LT (or whatever they decide to call it)
there are probably others
i bet noel is working on one
there will be more in the next couple years

Oct. 17, 2011, 9:23 p.m.

2.4 Purg's for me front and rear on the Stumpy… I need max traction and bigger tires have less rolling resistance.

you don't find them too tall?

Oct. 17, 2011, 9:40 p.m.

ya reckon SC will come out with a LT Tallboy variant? i figured they just don't believe in it. i'm sure the TB is quite the ride, and prolly ridiculously stiff, and therefore ripping fun. i'll admit, i'm totally jonesing for the Shinobi, though i too would prefer more rear travel. but from what i've read and guys i've talked to, including my own full trail demo, i don't know if it would be missed. i was blown away on my demo ride. it was everything my 2008 Stumpjumper (69.5 degree head tube, 105mm travel) should be, if you could morph your current ride, into the ride you want it to be. lower stiffer and slacker front end, overall incredible stiffness and responsiveness. in a perfect world (ie, unlimited cash) i would get a bling boutique bike, but hard to justify when i've actually ridden the S and it was so dam good.

Oct. 21, 2011, 10:14 a.m.

;-)

I was thinking of the Beaver as a front tire with the Aspen in the back. The Beaver knobs are super sticky and straightline braking is my secondary concern (cornering support being number 1 and the scariest thing about the Aspen in the wet).

Interested in more review. For now I am going to run a Nic I had already.

I was thinking just the other day: Nokian should re-launch the 3" Gazzi in a 29'er version…

Isn't the Beaver only available as a 2.0? Too pinner even for me. I think for grip on the shore where it's mostly hard surfaces, you want sticky volume. I went for a Captain rear 2.2 and Purgatory 2.2 front in the control versions and they are good so far. I think you had those last year dintcha? Kimbo is running the Eskar's on his Tallboy and liking them a lot. 2.3's I believe. Not sure if that would fit the back of my Highball.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 21, 2011, 11:34 a.m.

you don't find them too tall?

nope, just lots of volume to soak everything up.

:canada:

Oct. 21, 2011, 11:48 a.m.

i'm hoping to build a 29r FS bike next year… a cross between this 29lb nomad

and this 24lb Yeti HT 29r

thinking 27-28lb… carbon frame and wheels… meaty fast tires… 140mm must be pretty sweet on a 29r… can't wait to try one…

Nov. 9, 2011, 10:11 p.m.

I am looking to be on a 29er soon and am looking at tires…trying to figure out what to put on the new ride.

To give you a little context, I really love DHF's, been running a crossmark on the rear all summer and it's ok, but would like a little more downhill/cornering traction….any ideas on what 29er tire would work best for winter riding on the island?

Nov. 9, 2011, 10:26 p.m.

nope, just lots of volume to soak everything up.

i'm also a big fan of the 2.4 Purg.

i'm really lusting for a soft compound, non paper thin casing, luggy 29er tire that mounts well tubeless. i'm running one of these in 26", i like it, but its not that soft.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/hans_dampf

Nov. 9, 2011, 10:35 p.m.

i guess that'll be one of the burly options for the winter, if its available. nice that its available in 2 different compounds. their soft rubber tends to be super slow, but doesn't matter much for a winter tire.

sounds like minion isn't happening this year after all, too bad.
specialized butcher will be great, not sure when its coming out though.

Nov. 9, 2011, 10:38 p.m.

I am looking ot be on a 29er soon and am looking at tires…any ideas on what 29er tire would work best for winter riding on the island?

best you're gonna do for this winter is specialized eskar. its the most miniony option in its tread pattern and handling, and rubber is reasonably soft. really good.

Nov. 9, 2011, 10:48 p.m.

Maybe a Eskar 2.3 rear and purg 2.2 front? I can't wait till some better tires available for 29ers.