29er frame < $1,000 for parts swap

Jan. 29, 2018, 12:55 p.m.

I'm considering swapping the parts off my hardtail to a DS frame, to set up a pedally 29er to compliment my Enduro 29. I have a decent build (GX Eagle/XTR crank/Pike/Fancy Wheels) and would love to just move everything over.

Any frames come to mind (looking for used)?

• 142 rear wheel spacing

• Threaded BB a preference (not a deal breaker)

• Can accommodate a 150mm fork although the pike and be lowered so that's not too much of an issue especially since I'm going for less overlap with the E29

So far, the short list is comprised of: Canefield Brothers Riot/Toir, Transition Smuggler (2017 and prior - non boost), Trek Fuel EX (2016 and prior), Rocky Instinct (2016 and prior). The Canfield might be too Enduro for what I'm looking for but it ticks all of the other boxes

Am I missing anything?

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Last edited by: rnayel on Jan. 29, 2018, 12:58 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
Jan. 29, 2018, 5:25 p.m.

I had the riot and it was awesome. The short 414mm chainstays were super fun. I just wanted something longer so I bought a Pole

Jan. 30, 2018, 8:01 a.m.

What are the hubs on your fancy wheels? If you're lucky, they could be converted to Boost using adaptors (see Wolftooth Boostinator for example)

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/boostinator

Jan. 30, 2018, 8:31 a.m.

^^ This.  I just purchased some MRP Better Boost Adaptors for my Chris King front hub (yes they make them now!). If you are lucky, someone might have a set that fits your rear hub, and opens up more possibilities in terms of frame choice.

Jan. 30, 2018, 9:17 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

^^ This.  I just purchased some MRP Better Boost Adaptors for my Chris King front hub (yes they make them now!). If you are lucky, someone might have a set that fits your rear hub, and opens up more possibilities in terms of frame choice.

Did you have a redish the wheel? Also, F-Me, I just sold a set of Chris King/Nobl wheels a month ago for a song because I thought that I couldn't convert the hubs.  I imagine that it's just a matter of time before MRP comes out with something for the rear hub too.

Jan. 30, 2018, 10:30 a.m.

Boost adapters really aren't anything that special. If your frame doesn't use post mount brake mount, its a $10 conversion for any hub.  3mm spacer on each side, no re-dish needed, slightly less ideal chainline.  Sure its not as clean and the loose spacers are a bit annoying but perfectly functional.

Jan. 30, 2018, 11:14 a.m.

Banshee Phantom

Jan. 30, 2018, 11:25 a.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Did you have a redish the wheel? Also, F-Me, I just sold a set of Chris King/Nobl wheels a month ago for a song because I thought that I couldn't convert the hubs.  I imagine that it's just a matter of time before MRP comes out with something for the rear hub too.

For the front wheel, it definitely wont need a re-dish.  Rear wheel might need a slight tweak, but likely nothing at all.  I too thought I might have to have to put my CK front hub out to pasture on my new build (if I couldnt find the right non-boost fork), but MRP just started producing them for CK, so I got lucky.  Ended up with a boost fork as a result.   I also decided on a frame that is still 142x12 so I can still use my rear CK hub as well.  Win/win!

Jan. 30, 2018, 1:32 p.m.

Will any of those bikes really ride that much differently than your Enduro 29?

Jan. 30, 2018, 1:39 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

I don't really know. Once you put a 140 or 150mm fork on it, it's going to ride pretty darn close to the 160mm of travel of the E29. I picked up the updated link for the Enduro so it's now sporting a slack 65.5° head angle, so if I pick up a bike with a 67° or 68° angle for less rowdy days, there might be a difference felt. Current HT is 67.5° and there is a different feel with the E29 - obviously, suspension is a significant factor here.

Last edited by: rnayel on Jan. 30, 2018, 1:42 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Jan. 30, 2018, 2:10 p.m.

Banshee Prime - 135mm travel, multiple replaceable rear dropouts w adj. geometry. I believe on the new ones you can get 148 or 142 dropouts. I've got a 2013 model w 130mm rear and I run a 150mm Pike on the front.  Awesome bike, haven't found anything I like better yet.

Jan. 30, 2018, 9:43 p.m.

Posted by: FlipSide

What are the hubs on your fancy wheels? If you're lucky, they could be converted to Boost using adaptors (see Wolftooth Boostinator for example)

I have this on my Django , I would have preferred a true 148x12 hub . I had to shim the rotor to center it better in the caliper .

Jan. 30, 2018, 9:45 p.m.

Yes you have to re-dish wheel doing the Boost adapter

Jan. 31, 2018, 6:12 a.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Posted by: FlipSide

I have this on my Django , I would have preferred a true 148x12 hub . I had to shim the rotor to center it better in the caliper .

Humm, that's good to know! I understand that your caliper is as much inward as possible and you still have to move the rotor out? Which hubs do you have?

I have a set of nice non-Boost DT240 hubs. I was thinking of only buying a frame and using these adaptors when I'll need a new bike.

Jan. 31, 2018, 10:55 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

I don't really know. Once you put a 140 or 150mm fork on it, it's going to ride pretty darn close to the 160mm of travel of the E29. I picked up the updated link for the Enduro so it's now sporting a slack 65.5° head angle, so if I pick up a bike with a 67° or 68° angle for less rowdy days, there might be a difference felt. Current HT is 67.5° and there is a different feel with the E29 - obviously, suspension is a significant factor here.

How are you liking the E29? Does it feel like too much bike sometimes? I have the original geo E29 (67.5 HTA that I modified to 67 with offset bushings) and I really like it but was curious how the newer slacker E29's compare. My E29 is a pretty good balance between slack enough for almost anything but also nimble enough for more mellow trails.