29er Fork - Fox 36 or Pike

June 23, 2015, 9:46 a.m.

I want to replace the creaky underperforming fox 34 that came stock on my TBLT, does anybody have any experience on both of these forks? Pike is well reviewed, Fox 36 is getting a bunch of play recently, what say you internets?

thanks,
Brennan

June 23, 2015, 10:41 a.m.

I went from 34 TALAS RLC to 36 FLOAT RC2 wagon wheeler. A good move on my part.
No experience with the PIKE but I have been burnt by the SRAM marketing machine in the past which has left a foul taste.
I was less than impressed with the QR system on the 34 which is solved on the 36. I used the lockout feature a half dozen times and the old TALAS system was blah.
36 has volume spacers under the top cap which is fairly easy to do with a 1/2 ratchet, 1/2 torque and a 32mm chamfer-less socket. Adjusting travel is a lil more involved but no buying of additional fork parts is required

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 23, 2015, 2:55 p.m.

i have lots of time on both, and they're both awesome.
the 36 is a hair stiffer (maybe partly from using its 20mm axle), and i like being able to separately tune high and low speed comp.
pike gets into its travel with very little resistance (a good thing), but has great support for the rest of the travel. the 36 is slightly more firm feeling, unless comp is backed way off, in which case it becomes slightly more divey.
you can't go wrong with either.

June 23, 2015, 4:01 p.m.

Thanks Punky and Clark, appreciate the feedback.

June 24, 2015, 7:49 a.m.

i have lots of time on both, and they're both awesome.
the 36 is a hair stiffer (maybe partly from using its 20mm axle), and i like being able to separately tune high and low speed comp.
pike gets into its travel with very little resistance (a good thing), but has great support for the rest of the travel. the 36 is slightly more firm feeling, unless comp is backed way off, in which case it becomes slightly more divey.
you can't go wrong with either.

Did you find that the 36 rides well right out of the box? I've been on a Pike for the last few years but prior to that was on 36s for a long time. They were great but at that time they needed a lot of tuning work to ride well.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 24, 2015, 8:26 a.m.

the 36 i rode was dandy out of the box. and pretty much what clark said. both very nice. pike seems to offer a bit more support / ride higher. i kinda prefer having a compression lockout (on the pike) for road approaches, but that's a minor quibble. and the qr is nice to have, but really not a deal breaker.

June 24, 2015, 9:44 a.m.

Haven't ridden a new fox (burnt in the past)

But one difference I noticed is that the volume spacer setup in the pike is a lot easier to work with.

I've had 2 pikes since they came out and they've been fantastic.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

June 24, 2015, 10:32 a.m.

Both are equally good and perform almost the same; the differences in damping and compression ratios are negligible.

Your decision should be mostly based on access to service (Suspensionwerx (FOX) vs. Fluid Function (RS)) and finally purchase price. Say if the Pike was $100 or less than the 36, that equates to roughly 1 service charge. A freshly serviced fork goes a long way to enjoying said fork.

July 2, 2015, 2:08 p.m.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

BC