26" wheelset decisions

Nov. 18, 2014, 6:19 p.m.

Yeah Hope Pro 2/ Flow is the best affordable AM setup. Avoid DT as someone mentioned, your LB tech is gonna hate you for bringing that thing for bearings!! Wide (25mm+) is good for three reasons… wider footprint, fewer snakebites if you run tubes, and easier to mount tubeless. Not a fan a Mavic, dents and flats are HUGE problem. The latest LB Carbon stuff is pretty dialed in too, well worth the extra $ and theres a great guy in Abby who sells and builds them up I'm sure he can get you 26ers. http://noblwheels.com/

Nov. 18, 2014, 7:05 p.m.

Yeah Hope Pro 2/ Flow is the best affordable AM setup. Avoid DT as someone mentioned, your LB tech is gonna hate you for bringing that thing for bearings!! Wide (25mm+) is good for three reasons… wider footprint, fewer snakebites if you run tubes, and easier to mount tubeless. Not a fan a Mavic, dents and flats are HUGE problem. The latest LB Carbon stuff is pretty dialed in too, well worth the extra $ and theres a great guy in Abby who sells and builds them up I'm sure he can get you 26ers. http://noblwheels.com/

Trevor is a killer guy to deal with he,s who i buy my Hope hubs thru

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 18, 2014, 7:17 p.m.

Chris Kings with Mavic EN821 why mess around.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Nov. 19, 2014, 10:40 a.m.

This is (was) my LB hookless rim from going off a 4 foot drop. That makes 2 rear carbon rims now. Back to Aluminum.

:canada:

Nov. 19, 2014, 11:55 a.m.

This is (was) my LB hookless rim from going off a 4 foot drop. That makes 2 rear carbon rims now. Back to Aluminum.

Tell Specialized to hook(less) you up!

Nov. 19, 2014, 12:04 p.m.

Hence great for tubeless. All tires vary in bead seat diameter so some are easier than others. I'd rather a very tight fit to prevent burping.

really? I must've not gotten the memo as I set up two tires tubeless on flow ex's on Friday night with nary a whimper.

watched my shop blow the tubeless set up off them at least 1/2 a dozen times. The Stan's tape is so wide that it eats into the hooks of the rim, so the tire can't grip when pressurizing. When it did seat tubeless (finally) there were massive wobble as the tires (UST Minions) weren't seated evenly along the bead.

I only know one other person with the same rims and they experienced all the same problems.

I feel your pain. I have Arch EX's and while they work great and all, they can be a pain in the arse. Some tires will barely fit unless the bead is really stretched out (thanks Maxxis). Then the lips are too shallow to ghetto tubeless them. I actually had my first tire blow off the rim a while back. Got covered in sealant. Now I have the fear.

I, and my LBS, developed a healthy fear of trying to seat tubeless on those things.

Nov. 19, 2014, 12:18 p.m.

Nothing like enjoying the great outdoors and then having your tubeless setup blow up and spew sealant into the wild.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 19, 2014, 1 p.m.

watched my shop blow the tubeless set up off them at least 1/2 a dozen times. The Stan's tape is so wide that it eats into the hooks of the rim, so the tire can't grip when pressurizing. When it did seat tubeless (finally) there were massive wobble as the tires (UST Minions) weren't seated evenly along the bead.

I only know one other person with the same rims and they experienced all the same problems.

I, and my LBS, developed a healthy fear of trying to seat tubeless on those things.

I've heard that Maxis Exo tires don't play well with Flow EXs. I sat both Schwalbe and Specialized tires on mine with no problems.

Nov. 19, 2014, 1:07 p.m.

I've heard that Maxis Exo tires don't play well with Flow EXs. I sat both Schwalbe and Specialized tires on mine with no problems.

Could be a Maxxis thing. Mine were UST Minions, not the Exo.

Nov. 19, 2014, 1:49 p.m.

Chris Kings with Mavic EN821 why mess around.

hahahaha… wait you're serious?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 19, 2014, 11:26 p.m.

Very strange. I deal with Stan's rims and their tape often. I find it hard to believe, with the tape laid straight that it covers the bead hook of the rim. The Flow EX for example is 25.5mm wide on the inside and the tape is 27mm wide, meaning .75mm runs up the sidewall. Certainly not enough to cause a tire to blow off.

Additionally, if you speak of an "ungodly tight fit" and "impossible to fit on" scenarios, I find even harder to believe that the tire blows off the rim.

I give you this: any tire can be a tight fit on Stan's rims. Their ETRTO dimension is made such that a tight fit occurs for a better tubeless seal.

Nov. 20, 2014, 7:58 a.m.

Once seated the tire was fine, but they had a heck of a time seating. Hence the "blowing off". They also didn't like to hold air.

To resolve the problem I put a really narrow run of tape along the rim. With that I could get a rim to seal.

The problem with getting a tire on the Flow EX is the centre line on the rim isn't very recessed. This means flat there isn't anywhere for the side of the tire that's already mounted to sit into while you mount the other side of the tire.

Nov. 20, 2014, 8:19 a.m.

Fuck me those Bonti rims and the rim strip Trek ships with bikes aren't pleasant to deal with. Took an unusual amount of pressure to get the bead to seat correctly on the rim.

I'll continue to use my trimmed gorilla tape for TL or electrical tape for regular tubes method instead.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 20, 2014, 10:31 a.m.

The problem with getting a tire on the Flow EX is the centre line on the rim isn't very recessed. This means flat there isn't anywhere for the side of the tire that's already mounted to sit into while you mount the other side of the tire.

interesting

the wtb i25 seems very similar to the flow ex in terms of weight, width, etc. but it has a very pronounced recess in the center of the rim:

in theory that would be the perfect place to sit the bead of the tire to help with mounting. and perhaps that's the intention, because getting a wtb tubeless tire on a wtb tubeless rim is pretty tough (in my experience)

the problem is that it's very difficult to get tubeless tape down into the recess and apply it evenly. on the set i reviewed earlier this year i had to more or less stretch the tape across the recessed area to get it installed cleanly. but if you can manage to shape the tape into the recess, that would seem ideal

Apologies for miss-reading a forum post. Have mercy on my soulless body 'Oh Great One.'

no problem. just try not to let it happen again ;)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 20, 2014, 10:56 a.m.

^I wonder how those Specialized spoke hole plugs would work with WTB rim? That WTB rim is also the reason I like the gorilla tape, where you could trim it to be slightly wider than the channel, and really work it into the groove.

FYI the LB 33mm 26" rim has an almost non-existent channel in the middle of the rim.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.