2.6 tires

April 30, 2018, 6:52 p.m.

I have only two rides on a 2.6 Butcher on what's probably a 25mm internal carbon rim and so far I'm stoked. Cruises over off camber roots and rocks with far less deflection than a smaller tire (2.3 DHF before this), tons of traction when cornering and doesn't feel sluggish slow the steering down noticably. I overturned for a bit on the first ride, it's like I need to run the bars less to corner in low-speed stuff? I can take low speed corners tighter somehow. It's more fussy about tire pressure than the DHF, I seem to have settled around 22-24psi, which is low for me. I did feel it fold when I turned the front wheel too far in a pretty fast corner but it didn't burp and I feel like i would have gone down with a smaller tire.  This would happen less with a wider rim most likely.  Cornering hard on fast trails is the question mark I bet, again this would probably be improved with a wider rim. It's early days but so far I like it. I'd love to try a 2.6 Slaughter on the back to go with it, I wouldn't be surprised if the extra volume would make it a decent spring/fall and loose conditions tire. Hopefully they make one.

I ride, ummmm, "trail"? in Victoria primarily - I pedal, like hard climbs, ride some rough, steep and gnarly terrain but don't do much in the way of jumps and drops anymore. I have a tendency to slash sidewalls, generally immediately after installing a new tire so we'll see how it goes. 2014 Stumpjumper 29 with a 150mm Pike these days.

Last edited by: tashi on April 30, 2018, 6:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 30, 2018, 8:22 p.m.

I have 2 Forkasters, a DHF and DHR all in 2.60 and a pair of wheels w/30mm id rims hanging around in the garage sounds as though I should be riding them?

**I'LL HAVE TO BUY A CASS W/50 TOOTH COG THOUGH TO TURN 'EM! **

Last edited by: tungsten on April 30, 2018, 8:31 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 1, 2018, 9:06 a.m.

I'm running 2.6 Butcher front and rear on a 31mm rim (Race Face Next R), on the caliper it measures up at 2.53.  I'm happy with everything but the clearance on the Ohlin's fork.  I knew that it was going to be tight based on the reviews and how the previous 2.3 butcher fit in, but I'm amazed at how tight it actually is.  So far no visible damage only the ping of rocks hitting the arch on the fire road. Once on trail there aren't many little rocks to ping up.

On the rear there is plenty of clearance (spec. enduro). 

My one observation is how easy it is to break traction with the 2.6 tire going around corners at 28psi (rear).  I rode lower oil can and then lower expresso last Thursday and was amazed at how easily the bike drifted around corners, it was fun, yet still had plenty of traction in a straight line.  This might just be a feature of the tire, or it might be the fact that I was running the pressure a bit on the high side.

May 1, 2018, 11:06 a.m.

I rode the bike to work in the morning and then to the trail, my intention was to lower the pressure after the Fromme climb but I got caught up and dropped right in. Made for a fun (yet stiff) ride.

May 1, 2018, 11:14 a.m.

I have 2.3 minions on my full suspension bike,  2.6 minions on my hardtail, and 2.8 minions on my wife's bike. 

I really like the 2.6s, pressure around 20-22 front and 22-24 rear. They are more precise than the 2.8s but so grippy, way more so than the 2.3s when it some to technical awkward off camber stuff. For berm smashing flow trails the 2.6 has no real net benefit versus the 2.3 in my opinion.

They suit an agressive hardtail well. I mostly ride the shore, so technical trails where traction on awkward stuff wins over outright speed (at least at my skill level, I'm no Loic Bruni), so in my case durability is not a concern. I also think the higher volume makes them more resilient.

May 1, 2018, 2:23 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

so i'm reading that one of those Minions is for sale then... best get rid of the DHR i reckon, but only if it's low miles and in good shape.

lol...., I thought the rim id at 30mm wasn't enough for the square-ish profile of the Minions but what with lower pressure and all I gonna' try them before writing them off.

So yeah right now brand new but if for sale under 20km most likely.

around 22-24

That's what I run my 2.35 MM's at.

Last edited by: tungsten on May 1, 2018, 2:25 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 1, 2018, 4:05 p.m.

How much do you dudes weigh that are doing 22-24ish on the 2.6's? I have 2.5 DHF WT's, been 26-27 front and 28-29 back but I'm a fatty (210lbs before gear). Thought about a 2.6 DHF up front next time, don't think bigger than 2.5 will fit in the back (2.4 there now).

May 1, 2018, 4:47 p.m.

I am 190. In 2.3s I run 25/27 f/r 

In the winter 20/22 has been good on the 2.6s but I suspect 22/24 might be better as this is dry out.

May 1, 2018, 9:32 p.m.

Ditto.

May 2, 2018, 5:31 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

How much do you dudes weigh that are doing 22-24ish on the 2.6's? I have 2.5 DHF WT's, been 26-27 front and 28-29 back but I'm a fatty (210lbs before gear). Thought about a 2.6 DHF up front next time, don't think bigger than 2.5 will fit in the back (2.4 there now).

I run similar pressure , and I weigh roughly 185/190lbs before suiting up.

May 3, 2018, 3:25 p.m.

I noticed a few sidewall dents on the rear rim of my trail bike last night while mounting a new tire (DHR II 2.4WT EXO MaxxTera). The dents were significant enough that air was leaking out from them until sealant had a chance to set in.  Never had dents in the past when I used to run 32-34psi in the back... guess I need to lose weight or go up a few PSI... or maybe try a 2.6 next time.

May 3, 2018, 9:35 p.m.

I noticed a few sidewall dents on the rear rim of my trail bike last night while mounting a new tire (DHR II 2.4WT EXO MaxxTera). The dents were significant enough that air was leaking out from them until sealant had a chance to set in.  Never had dents in the past when I used to run 32-34psi in the back... guess I need to lose weight or go up a few PSI... or maybe try a 2.6 next time.

I have the same rear tire , I mounted a Shorty up front . I like it better than the Aggressor I have on my other wheel set.

One day I will get a real pressure gauge , I set the pressure off what the pump reads. If I ding the rim or the tire makes sounds on certain terrain. I add a few more pumps of air.

I also just swapped to a Corset on my shock and that got rid of the flat spotting the rim sound. Looking like what I thought was me running too little pressure in the tire. Was more of me blowing through the shock and bottoming it out.

May 4, 2018, 1:50 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

I have the same rear tire , I mounted a Shorty up front . I like it better than the Aggressor I have on my other wheel set.

One day I will get a real pressure gauge , I set the pressure off what the pump reads. If I ding the rim or the tire makes sounds on certain terrain. I add a few more pumps of air.

I also just swapped to a Corset on my shock and that got rid of the flat spotting the rim sound. Looking like what I thought was me running too little pressure in the tire. Was more of me blowing through the shock and bottoming it out.

First ride last night on the DHR II was awesome, just grip everywhere... but to be fair the single compound HRII I had before was pretty beat.  

My bike is pretty progressive (YT Jeffsy) so I've been running the shock without any volume bands at 30% sag, might toss a band in and see how it feels.