26" new parts availability?

Feb. 21, 2015, 8:37 a.m.

I am returning to the mountain bike scene after quite a few years away from it. I must say……WOW!, has there ever been a lot of changes in equipment!

I am looking into purchasing an all mountain bike. I am not looking to debate the merits of tire sizes, as I am sure most are tired of that. However, it seem that 26" is on the way out, so I was looking at 650b, however, it seems that you can get a pretty good deal on a 26" bike, if you are still inclined to go that route. My question is, do you think there will still be reasonable availability of 26" parts such as tires and rims going forward for at least 5 or so years?

Feb. 21, 2015, 9:03 a.m.

Yes.

Keep in mind that your LBS still stocks or can source 8-speed drivetrain components.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Feb. 21, 2015, 9:16 a.m.

Yes.

Keep in mind that your LBS still stocks or can source 8-speed drivetrain components.

Not sure what correlation 8 speed has with 26" wheels? In any case yes, go for the 26" bike as there are awesome deals to be had and ride away laughing. Parts will not be obsolete in the near future.

Feb. 21, 2015, 9:25 a.m.

Not sure what correlation 8 speed has with 26" wheels? In any case yes, go for the 26" bike as there are awesome deals to be had and ride away laughing. Parts will not be obsolete in the near future.

I think he means 8 spd hasn't been spec'd or used on a bike in 10+ years as OE (correct me if I'm wrong). 26" is still pretty relevant and isn't going to die off anytime soon, I find 26" parts to still be priced very similarly to the "new standards".

Shed head!

Feb. 21, 2015, 10:10 a.m.

I doubt in 5 years there will be much higher end 26" based products to choose from. That's a lifetime in the mtb industry. Better stock up now!

Unless of course the sales departments and product managers decide that 26" is viable, then they will push to bring it back.

Feb. 21, 2015, 10:43 a.m.

I recently bought a used 2013 Stumpy evo (26") and I will ride it for the next couple years as I assume there will still be high end 26" stuff available for at least that long. If 26" gets put out to pasture then I'll suck it up and go 650/27.5 in the future but as others have said there are good deals to be had in the used 26" market right now and the advantages of 650/27.5 have yet to win me over.
It will be interesting to see how the "great wheel size debate" plays out. I will be LOL-ing if industry "experts" rediscover 26" in a few years….

Feb. 21, 2015, 11:05 a.m.

… I will be LOL-ing if industry "experts" rediscover 26" in a few years….

dot worry they will…get ready to lol.

Feb. 21, 2015, 11:23 a.m.

Yep… 29ers, 650Bers, dropper posts, elliptical chain rings, fat tires, flextems etc…..all have come back from the dead. Even 'modern' geometry is not a million miles from a 35 year old Breezer. I can't wait for someone to bring back the Softride beam!

Unless you need the latest Unicorn Drool impregnated stanchions you'll find suitable forks for a good while yet, just maybe not in your LBS. As for rims, there's gonna be millions of 26er rims out there.

Some bikes still come with 7 speed freewheels.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 21, 2015, 11:27 a.m.

wait a minute…dropper post? that worth its weight in GOLD!!

Feb. 21, 2015, 2:25 p.m.

wait a minute…dropper post? that worth its weight in GOLD!!

love mine it,s right up there with disc brakes and quality designed full suspension bikes

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 21, 2015, 3:48 p.m.

love mine it,s right up there with disc brakes and quality designed full suspension bikes

yea some of the advancements in the last 29 yrs haven't been all bad..;)

Feb. 21, 2015, 4:27 p.m.

Rep sent.

Feb. 21, 2015, 5:46 p.m.

i have to admit i am the jadedest of all…its all hype to sell us shit until we die.. stay working, stay in debt and then stay dead..

that being said i am currently eyeballing the 2015 range and attempting to negotiate the correct arrangement (aka financing/currently thinking of jewelry stores , although idid watch 1/2 of point break last wknd so maybe banks……)

eff you sexy sexy carbon and sexy sexy cane creek…cruel financiers of the world surely will rejoice in the creation of yet another debt addled wage slave…

Feb. 21, 2015, 6:35 p.m.

i have to admit i am the jadedest of all…its all hype to sell us shit until we die.. stay working, stay in debt and then stay dead..

that being said i am currently eyeballing the 2015 range and attempting to negotiate the correct arrangement (aka financing/currently thinking of jewelry stores , although idid watch 1/2 of point break last wknd so maybe banks……)

eff you sexy sexy carbon and sexy sexy cane creek…cruel financiers of the world surely will rejoice in the creation of yet another debt addled wage slave…

Not gonna lie but since I pulled a Bodhi and acquired a carbon Norco wunderbike with all the goods, life has gotten a lot easier;) Debt is only numbers on a page.

Shed head!

Feb. 21, 2015, 6:40 p.m.

little hand says it's time to rock and roll….