24/26

Oct. 11, 2004, 4:52 p.m.

Originally posted by IFO

theres a reason Ferrari's dont run monster truck tires…;) **

there is also a reason why they dont run 14" wheels

_SALE: 01 Drop frame, shore linkage, new RC + extras! _

Oct. 11, 2004, 5:02 p.m.

thanks a ton guys!!!!!!!!!

alright so the deal is that will be starting with just a parts swap onto the new frame from my old one…that will have dual 26" I will need to buy a new wheelset so I can be disk compatible…. and then i'm gunna put on a friends 24" for a day or two, see what I like more and then decide on what to buy for the new disk compatible wheelset………. anyway

just to get the facts straight…

24 in rear will be easier to climb or not…?

Thanks again.

They told me the drop was too big…….then i broke my leg and my bike………

Oct. 11, 2004, 6:01 p.m.

one more question for now, what do you think would be the best drivetrain from the info that I have given you…?

the frame is an azonic steelhead…

single speed? if so, what gearing?

9speed cassette rear…..?

9speed in back 2 chainwheel up front…? if so what gearing..?

thanks alot.

Oct. 11, 2004, 8:48 p.m.

Originally posted by Cereal

Thanks again. **

yes its easier to spin but that doesnt necc. mena its easier to climb…

cuz a 24" rear wheel can mess up your bikes Geo. if its not degisned for a 24" rear.. with messed up Geo. the 24" rear could make your bike handle worse going up….

hope that doesnt add to the confusion….:(

Oct. 11, 2004, 9:09 p.m.

I have had both a 26 and 24 on my last bike. I can see that there will be a theoretical difference in regards to climbing. Real world experience for me shows no noticable difference. I can't climb any further or any faster (or slower) than I did with the 26. I do notice a difference on the downhill though… first of all I have a chance of actually being able to get on the bike and touch the ground somewhat (yup, I'm super short). Definitely notice the difference on the steeps. I feel way more comfortable with the 24. I think it all comes down to how you feel the most "at one" with your bike - sizing, geometry and "feel". Worth a try…

Oct. 11, 2004, 11:25 p.m.

Originally posted by Cereal

just to get the facts straight…

Thanks again. **

A 24" rear will accelerate quicker, but is slower at speed, whether it be up or downhill.

I'd love to try a 25" rear wheel :)

Des

During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner'.
- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Oct. 11, 2004, 11:30 p.m.

Originally posted by Desloc **
I'd love to try a 25" rear wheel :)

Des **

Why hasn't the biking industry been paying attention to this board? A 25" standard would quiet everyone.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 12, 2004, 12:59 a.m.

i've been running dual 24", dual 26", 26"/24" on various bikes for past few years

i first used 26"/24" like many riders on my Big Hit, its hard to tell what difference dual 26" would make as the frame was designed around the smaller 24" back wheel. I tried a Big Hit with the BETD 26" conversion and didn't like it, the back wheel just felt too big!

I also found this at Whistler with the Stab Garbanzo hire bikes, several times i buzzed my backside on the 26" back wheel, i normally run 26"/24" on my Scream back at home. The Stab's felt more clumsy on Clown Shoes and Joyride than my Scream does on similar trails at home.

I tried dual 24" on the Big Hit and it was mint for DJ'ing but too twitchy for DH with the front wheel trying to "bury" itself on tight corners.

Overall i really like 26"/24" on my Suss bike, and dual 24" on my jump / street bike (Azonic Steelhead)

the advantages and disadvantages of 26" or 24" have been talked about already, many times.

From my own viewpoint the 24" rear makes my heavy suspension bike feel nimble, turns real sharp on tight trails or skinny stunts, MUCH stronger for stunts and drops, and can get a good choice on 24" tires so that's never been an issue. But for urban? might as well ride dual 26" or dual 24"?

Oct. 12, 2004, 1:03 p.m.

alright, thanks alot for the input.. Short Circuit Flashback… I will go on how it handles best for my riding…..my friend has a rear 24"er I can test out once I get the bike going…….

Thanks again.

Oct. 12, 2004, 1:16 p.m.

Originally posted by IFO
**i think your confusing what i said…

im not talking about resistance to rolling over varied terian but was in fact talking about the speed at which a 24" tire will accelrate…

theres a reason Ferrari's dont run monster truck tires…;) **

yeah, I think I did mistake you…that's why iwas confused by your post…:)

:scotland:

:trinity: RIP Charles Edward DelaForest…

Born: September 1978 - Murdered May 2005

Gone but not forgotten, I miss you brother. :trinity:

Oct. 12, 2004, 2:07 p.m.

get dual 24 or dual 26

Oct. 12, 2004, 3:40 p.m.

is the difference in feel due to lower CG ?? really you are only lowering the rear axle 1" and the crank center in relation to the hub center zero

OR cuz dropping the rear 1" is same as raising the front end 1 " which gives you about 1 degree more rake slowing down the steering and making things feel more stable ?

Sure a smaller rear wheel lowers the gearing but there are cheaper ways to lower gearing and other ways to get more rake

Oct. 12, 2004, 6:22 p.m.

The 24/26 debate has gone on so many times.

To summarize, depending on what kind of rims/tires you run, the difference in radius between a 24" and 26" setup could be 1/2". That's about 4% or 5%.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells