24" vs. 26" & SS vs. Geared

July 17, 2003, 7:23 a.m.

I'm building a hardtail freeride bike for urban/trail use. I have a 14.5" DaBomb Sputnik frame (cheezy name I know), and it allows either 24" or 26" wheels. Additionally, the frame has horizontal drop outs. I'm trying to do this bike on a budget 'cause I'm a student. I'm at the point of wheel building, and I can't decide between 24" or 26" and to whether or not to save some cash and go single speed.

As of now, here is the parts list:

-14.5" DaBomb Sputnik Frame (DS)
-Race Face Prodigy DH (w/ Bash Guard) Cranks
-Race Face Prodigy BB
-Easton Monkey Lite Riser
-Avid Arch Rivals F/R (Hydro disc in front and Magura HS's to come)
-'02 Judy SL ('Zocchi DJ II, Shiver SC, or Shermann Flick to come)
-LX/XT Drivetrain (uninstalled and waiting SS vs. geared decision; can be returned)

Finally, the questions:
1. Should I go 24" vs. 26" (all I've riden is 26")
2. Single Speed vs. Geared
3. If SS - SS specific hub, or spacers?
4. If geared - should I lose the granny gear, and run one ring up front?

Ya se fue

July 17, 2003, 8:25 a.m.

Ive always ridden dual 26" and just recently switched to dual 24". I do prefer dual 24" over 26" for street. For (long) trail rides I think I'd slap on the 26" shoes. So I suppose it becomes a matter of what you'll be doing most, and what kind of trails. For alot of street and technical riding I'd most definately go for the dual 24".

The single speed debate. Well on a budget singlespeed makes sense. You won't need a chainguide, a derailer and a shifter. And most people seem to be coping just find. I find that in all reality even with my 8spd setup I mostly just use a single ratio anyways..and only shift when I'm either terribly exhausted..or need to seriously pick up speed on a long run up. But like someone once told me when I was pondering the same thing..they have ss XC classes, so yeah SS works for anything.

If you're gonna go SS..just space a regular hub. It'll allow you to setup your chainline perfectly and all you need is a couple of old casettes. I think there's also SS specific conversion kits that work with 2 big spacers. But normal spacers should work just fine.

Most definately go single ring up front. Anything between and including 32T and 38T works good for me.

::Team Pancake Pride::
::Team Nice BMX::

July 17, 2003, 8:27 a.m.

Well by putting on a 24 in the back you will gain a decent amount of acceleration and it will be MUCH easier to manual and wheelie. You never really said what you are going to be doing with the bike so its hard to say if you should go single speed or geared.

July 17, 2003, 8:29 a.m.

S I N G L E S P E E D K I C K S A S S M T H R F C K R

(especially with dual 24")

July 17, 2003, 8:51 a.m.

I do mainly urban with a little trials thrown in (still haven't learned how to lurch). When I can I get out to the trails. Right now I'm leaning towards 24" SS. This is what I propose:

Front:
Avid Mech Disc (6")
XT Disc Hub
24" Rim Suggestions??

Rear:
Avid Arch Rival
LX Standard Hub
24" Rim Suggestions??

Agree/Disagree? Suggest? Demand?

If I were take off the granny gear off my RF Prodigy DH's, do I need a chainguide mechanism to prevent dropping the chain, or would the SS prevent that? I have the RF bash guard on the outside.

Ya se fue

July 17, 2003, 8:59 a.m.

I have a Giant ACid built up SS, I used an Axiom SS hub, 24" rear, 26" front, 39 tooth chainring and 18 tooth sprocket.

July 17, 2003, 9:52 a.m.

Get a 24 rear wheel and a 26 front. And have a rear derailleur with no front. If you have dual bash guards on the front you'd never drop your chain.

BANSHEE BIKES * AVALANCHE * BROOKLYN