2021 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

July 13, 2021, 8:13 a.m.

Posted by: Bushpilot

Posted by: craw

I knew they made medium Geometrons but I think this is the first time I've actually seen one that isn't L/XL/XXL. Which makes sense since they're really the only good option for XL+. Can you say more about how a M person chose a G1 over a more conventional option?

I’m 5”10 with short legs and a long torso. For suspension bikes I went from a large Hightower LT (443 reach) to a large SB130LR (about 476 reach). And on my hardtails I went from a M/L older Rootdown (457 reach) to a M/L new Doctahawk with a +5 mm reach adjust headset (about 480 reach). The longer the bikes got the more comfortable I got. I felt like there was too much overlap between my SB130LR and my Doctahawk, which were both sort of set up as trail bikes with 160mm forks. I wanted something with a coil, more travel, made of metal and have sort of lusted over the G1 for a couple of years. Something about the old school raw welded look I guess. I also wanted to keep trying longer and was attracted to the adjustability of this bike. It was a process getting here and I considered this build a bit of an experiment.

As far as fit goes, the M G1 is almost identical to the seated position on the Yeti I just sold and my Chromag. So the main difference for me is wheelbase (and head angle) and reach. Knowing how nimble my Doctahawk rides (and the Yeti I got rid of) I figured the extra length of the G1 would still be manageable but would be more stable in steeps, chunder and fast stuff. That’s basically how I got here.

I have 10 rides on the G1 now, all at Fromme, Seymour and Eagle. Not once have I felt like the bike was a handful. I haven’t found it difficult to wheelie or muscle around. I guess long story short I didn’t (and still don’t) buy into the whole “Geometrons are only for humongous people” thing. Interestingly the sizing / geo of the M G1 isn’t that far off from the sizing of a large Commencal Meta AM 29 Team (495 reach), large Knolly Chilcotin 167 (490 reach) and S4 Spesh Enduro (487 reach).

Also interesting is that at 5’10” I could have gone M or L G1 according to Geometron’s size chart. So far I’m glad I didn’t go any bigger.

Those are all pretty good reasons! From my G16 to my G1 I gained 2' of ESTA which reduced the ETT by 2cm so in the end my G1 is actually a bit smaller than the G16 at the same reach. Looks like you had a similar effect. I much prefer this kind of weight distribution over a a longer wheelbase. I think objectively the trails around here get tight when the WB gets to 1330+ - that's when you have to be particularly precise on some berms and switchbacks. 

Glad it's working for you!

July 13, 2021, 11:25 a.m.

Posted by: Bushpilot

I knew they made medium Geometrons but I think this is the first time I've actually seen one that isn't L/XL/XXL. Which makes sense since they're really the only good option for XL+. Can you say more about how a M person chose a G1 over a more conventional option?

I’m 5”10 with short legs and a long torso. For suspension bikes I went from a large Hightower LT (443 reach) to a large SB130LR (about 476 reach). And on my hardtails I went from a M/L older Rootdown (457 reach) to a M/L new Doctahawk with a +5 mm reach adjust headset (about 480 reach). The longer the bikes got the more comfortable I got. I felt like there was too much overlap between my SB130LR and my Doctahawk, which were both sort of set up as trail bikes with 160mm forks. I wanted something with a coil, more travel, made of metal and have sort of lusted over the G1 for a couple of years. Something about the old school raw welded look I guess. I also wanted to keep trying longer and was attracted to the adjustability of this bike. It was a process getting here and I considered this build a bit of an experiment.

As far as fit goes, the M G1 is almost identical to the seated position on the Yeti I just sold and my Chromag. So the main difference for me is wheelbase (and head angle) and reach. Knowing how nimble my Doctahawk rides (and the Yeti I got rid of) I figured the extra length of the G1 would still be manageable but would be more stable in steeps, chunder and fast stuff. That’s basically how I got here.

I have 10 rides on the G1 now, all at Fromme, Seymour and Eagle. Not once have I felt like the bike was a handful. I haven’t found it difficult to wheelie or muscle around. I guess long story short I didn’t (and still don’t) buy into the whole “Geometrons are only for humongous people” thing. Interestingly the sizing / geo of the M G1 isn’t that far off from the sizing of a large Commencal Meta AM 29 Team (495 reach), large Knolly Chilcotin 167 (490 reach) and S4 Spesh Enduro (487 reach).

Also interesting is that at 5’10” I could have gone M or L G1 according to Geometron’s size chart. So far I’m glad I didn’t go any bigger.

Those are all pretty good reasons! From my G16 to my G1 I gained 2' of ESTA which reduced the ETT by 2cm so in the end my G1 is actually a bit smaller than the G16 at the same reach. Looks like you had a similar effect. I much prefer this kind of weight distribution over a a longer wheelbase. I think objectively the trails around here get tight when the WB gets to 1330+ - that's when you have to be particularly precise on some berms and switchbacks. 

Glad it's working for you!

Totally. Definitely a forward weight bias when seated and I probably wouldn’t be super comfortable for a long ride on flatter / rolling terrain on this bike (i.e. I won’t be taking this bike to the Chilcotins!). But I have no intention of riding this bike on flat / rolling terrain and around here everything I ride is pretty much straight up and then down! It’s perfect so far.

Aug. 4, 2021, 9:58 a.m.

She built, shout out and thank you to Zac Smith for popping over last night and helping me set up the Dominion brakes. Only thing left is to install the dropper.

Aug. 5, 2021, 12:56 p.m.

Lovely!

Careful with the dropper cable, there is a sharp bit somewhere on the inside of my frame (suspect in the seat tube)  and it did a number of the cable outer when I pulled the seat post to regrease it. 

Apparently this is not uncommon.

Posted by: rnayel

She built, shout out and thank you to Zac Smith for popping over last night and helping me set up the Dominion brakes. Only thing left is to install the dropper.

Aug. 8, 2021, 1:38 p.m.

Almost here. Any guesses?

Aug. 9, 2021, 3:32 p.m.

Cotic? Starling?

Aug. 9, 2021, 11:44 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Cotic? Starling?

FlareMAX 🤞

Aug. 10, 2021, 1:35 p.m.

I'll be in the running for heaviest trail bike of the year. Privateer 141 size P3.

One month delayed because I'm assuming they were waiting for Fox to finish a batch of new Float X shocks. I'm hoping that's a good thing. Building starts tonight.

Aug. 10, 2021, 2 p.m.

sweet frame! would have been near the top of my list had they been available when i was shopping last fall.

Aug. 10, 2021, 6:56 p.m.

Posted by: Vandy

I'll be in the running for heaviest trail bike of the year. Privateer 141 size P3.

One month delayed because I'm assuming they were waiting for Fox to finish a batch of new Float X shocks. I'm hoping that's a good thing. Building starts tonight.

Nice! Lol on heaviest trailbike competition.  My coil-equipped Raaw Jibb frame is inbound from zee Germans so you have some competition! Misery loves company I guess hahah. Enjoy and let us know your impressions.

Aug. 11, 2021, 3:12 a.m.

Done. Took a little longer than when I was wrenching full time...

Only weird thing I noticed post assembly was that it would tend to leave this little bend of derailleur housing slack up by the bottle cage after you cycle the suspension. I made a little zip-tie cross and put it on the cables just in front of the bottle cage which seems to have solved it. Also the chain slap protector keeps wanting to peel off over the tighter radii, particularly near where the housing exits the chain stay. I was thinking just heat it up a bit but I don't want to eff up the glue either, so I"m gonna email Privateer and see what they say.

Ride impressions so far: it pedals and does bunny hops at 2:30 am.

I won't go through the full spec list. I tore down my old bike for everything but the frame and fork. Highlights are:

• Lyrik Ultimate
  • Deore 4 pistons. I may end up springing for the larger front rotor, we'll see.
  • a drivetrain
  • wheels have survived a long time, and I put some fancy hybrid ceramic bearings in the rear hub in the spring so it spins so smooth; however they are only 23mm internal width on the rims, so I will probably crash and die immediately.
  • a 150mm oneup post that was the longest I could fit in my old frame, but now I kinda wish I waited to get the 180mm drop because I pulled the trigger on the Privateer about 6 weeks after I bought the 150mm post, but such is life and I still have an uppy-downy post.
  • Fancy little EDC tool.
  • Versus tires roll fast which is nice since I'm up in the interior
  • water bottle(!)

Last edited by: Vandy on Aug. 11, 2021, 10:37 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 11, 2021, 7:38 a.m.

Looks great!

Aug. 11, 2021, 6:46 p.m.

@Vandy, I appreciate and applaud your energy and dedication.

• Get bike at 1:35 pm

• Finish build and bunny hops at 2:30 a.m.

• Post at 3:12 a.m.
  • Post edits at 10:37 a.m. 

Presumably, a real bike ride and then early to bed tonight. Or at least, that’s what I’d do!

Aug. 11, 2021, 7:45 p.m.

That’s a good looking Privateer. 

So you got us wondering …… what’s the weight?!

Aug. 11, 2021, 9:07 p.m.

Posted by: gdharries

@Vandy, I appreciate and applaud your energy and dedication.

• Get bike at 1:35 pm

• Finish build and bunny hops at 2:30 a.m.

• Post at 3:12 a.m.

• Post edits at 10:37 a.m.

Presumably, a real bike ride and then early to bed tonight. Or at least, that’s what I’d do!

hahahaha. That is exactly what I would do. Who can resist the draw of a shiny new bike that needs parts bolted to it?

Great looking bike. Let us know how it rides.

Last edited by: RAHrider on Aug. 11, 2021, 9:07 p.m., edited 1 time in total.