2021 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

June 3, 2021, 3:50 p.m.

Posted by: olaa

So, finally it's NBD! A Crossworx Dash 29 xl showed up.

Awesome. Can you show some photos of how the linkage works?

June 3, 2021, 9:32 p.m.

Posted by: gdharries

Nice! Is that a Giant Trance?

alu trance x 1

June 4, 2021, 12:06 a.m.

Posted by: craw

So, finally it's NBD! A Crossworx Dash 29 xl showed up.

Awesome. Can you show some photos of how the linkage works?

It's not the easiest thing to show that, it is all very compact in there. But in the image you can see how the swingarm is attached to the forward connection of a linkage that rotates around the middle pivot. The shock is then attached at the rearmost connection of that linkage. Essentially the same type of set-up as Ancilotti and a bunch of motorcycles use. 

Short ride impression after a first spin: The bike feels poppy, responsive and very solid. It's a bike that you can go sideways into a corner with at speed and just feel comfortable with, you basicly know where the bike is. Compared to the G16 that i had previously the frame has a much more solid feel, the rear end of the g16 would load up quite a bit more. The suspension is very supple off the top, but has very pronounced support around the sag point. 

The ride feel of the bike is certainly influenced by the build, with nice light wheels and that big 38 up front. 

Geometry-wise, the seat angle is perfectly fine, even on flatter trails. I need to tune the handlebar height a bit, not being used to such a high stack. It is really about 2 cm taller in the front compared to the g16, which is noticeable but not bad. The head angle is a full 2 degrees steeper than the g16 so that is also pretty different, we'll see how that feels on the steep trails. But my feel is that due to the softer suspension off the top, the actual head angle when riding is a bit slacker than anticipated. 

So those were a few thoughts after an easy first ride, we'll see how it works after i heal up from the crash i had the other day and can get riding properly again :)

Also, the build quality is pretty amazing! And that is compared to a Nicolai, which are also pretty spotless.

June 4, 2021, 7:19 a.m.

Nice looking bike! have a G16 currently. Enjoy the comparison.

June 4, 2021, 7:32 a.m.

I could totally see that about the G16. My XL G16 was definitely capable of being loaded. The G1 is a lot sturdier and rides accordingly.

Here's a video of the Crossworx suspension for anyone who still doesn't get it: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1092755871082632

What was the frame weight like compared to the Geometron?

Last edited by: craw on June 4, 2021, 7:34 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 4, 2021, 7:41 a.m.

I could totally see that about the G16. My XL G16 was definitely capable of being loaded. The G1 is a lot sturdier and rides accordingly.

Here's a video of the Crossworx suspension for anyone who still doesn't get it: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1092755871082632

That video is so much better at explaining how it works :)

The G1 was definitely an option, but full builds were a lot more expensive, and i kinda wanted to try something else. 

It came mostly built up, so i don't have a frame weight. But it should be some 400g heavier than the Geometron, but with most of the weight down low.

June 4, 2021, 8:18 a.m.

That video is so much better at explaining how it works :)

The G1 was definitely an option, but full builds were a lot more expensive, and i kinda wanted to try something else. 

It came mostly built up, so i don't have a frame weight. But it should be some 400g heavier than the Geometron, but with most of the weight down low.

Interesting. I did a little digging and found that with an air shock the Dash 29 would weigh <9lbs, which would definitely put it lighter than my G1 with EXT coil.

June 4, 2021, 10:02 a.m.

That makes sense, i compared it to my L g16 which is quite a bit lighter than the g1.

And size-wise i would say that an L geometron is comparable to an xl Crossworx.

June 4, 2021, 8:06 p.m.

Warning, Bike nerd rant.

This is the bike of mine which has benefited the most from the NSMB hive, and the Followers of DrewM. (new band name, calling it). 

Banshee Spitfire v2. Frame owned since 2015, parts from far and wide. 

Stock it's 140r 150f, with the dropout chip giving 67°/66.5°/66°, and 430mm stays for a 26" wheel. In an effort to buy the bike I already own, I swapped for the 27.5 dropouts - 440mm, and fitted a Works Components - 2° headset. With the 160mm fork this means the flip chips roughly give 64.5°/64°/63.5° HA. 

The front got lower when I fitted the headset, hence the 40mm riser bar, which I'm trialling trimming to 765mm by moving the controls inboard (feels good so far). 

I refer to the colour scheme as "arsehole detector" since folks with a negative opinion seem unable to keep it to themselves... Purple front hub, orange rear (Pro 4), laced to red rims (Spank Spike race 33, fading to pink). Green Boomslang pedals and One Up guide (dremeled to clear the bashring). Two tone Straitline SSC Stem, in fetching orange and blue. Blue and white custom mudguard (just to keep crap out of the links, not off me). White bashring, blue saddle graphics... 

Shock is a classic DHX 5.0, with the shock pump adjustable boost valve and volume for bottom out. After testing 450,480 & 500lb springs I was unhappy with having to wind in a brick wall of volume reduction to keep the end stroke clank away. A 500+lb MRP progressive spring means I could open up the bottom out volume and still never hit that. 

The OG Lyrik (with 20mm axle!) has a Firm (blue) 170mm spring, preloaded with a 10mm travel spacer for 160mm stroke. It was originally a U-turn R model, so I moved the blank damper cap across and added a MiCo damper from the Recyclery.

The 210mm One Up dropper has been shimmed down to 200mm, and is controlled by a Wolftooth remote. Also using their Goatlink to help the 10spd SLX derailleur to clear the 42t Sunrace cassette. Giving the instructions is an XTR shifter, mounted to the Saint lever with a slightly drilled I-spec unit. 

Other miscallany - 980 crankset is 104BCD with no weird standards, E13 bash, WTB Volt saddle is helping on the journey to the Iron T'aint, Race Face BB bearings replaced with Enduro. 

TL;DR old guy justifies obsolete bike.

June 5, 2021, 4:36 a.m.

I love this level of bike nerdery! How do you like the ride with all these mods?

June 5, 2021, 5:39 a.m.

Velocipedestrian, that is really cool! I love seeing this kind of customization!

June 5, 2021, 7:12 a.m.

Now that's a solid mishmash of everything. A bunch of different eras, so many colours, so many memories. Is it weird that I can smell the DrewM on that bike from here?

June 5, 2021, 11:42 a.m.

Very cool bike velocipedestrian!

I love a “asshole detector” colour scheme - I have no idea how assholes don’t realize that the guy with a non-existent colour scheme is the last person that’s gunna be interested in their opinion of the colour scheme.

June 5, 2021, 2:55 p.m.

Posted by: Znarf

I love this level of bike nerdery! How do you like the ride with all these mods?

I love it. Each change brought an improvement in the ride, mostly  with an increase in weight. 

Craw, most of the DrewM things about this had happened before Meat Engines launched, and the similar articles here. I was pleasantly surprised to find an encouraging voice from my end of the bike spectrum, which lead to the rabbit hole getting deeper.

June 8, 2021, 1:38 p.m.

Its time for me to get a new FS to (potentially) replace my '19 Slayer. I love the Slayer and would probably keep it, but wheel size has be thinking about moving on. I took a chance on going back to 27.5 wheels and I prefer 29r (I have a 29+ hardtail too). 

There are three bikes Ive narrowed it down to. I was down to two until a new bike was announced last week.

My Wish List:

• Ive been riding my hardtail so much that I want a bike that inspires more confidence than my prev gen Slayer, or even one that forces me to ride sketchier stuff. The Slayer is an excellent bike, but it feels more like a trail bike to me. I want a rowdy enduro that will drag me into trouble and get me riding things that I have not since I had a DH bike. I want a DH bike that I can pedal up. 
  • Dont care how playful it is
  • Needs to be an ok climber. Its a rare day when I shuttle.
  • It needs to be confidence inspiring on steeps but cannot be a steep only, or high speed only, bike. My rides are mixed and can be in slow janky stuff often.
  • I may keep the Slayer - it really depends upon how much overlap it has with next bike.
  • Travel is not necessarily the big factor here. I will not use the full 170mm as Im not a big hit kind of rider. Im too old for that!

The Three:

• Forbidden Dreadnought. Rad.  Plus: I bet this is pretty peddly and geo suggests it will be very confidence inspiring. Cons: Mostly aesthetic. I wish it had a higher suspension spec option, but it is about $1000 cheaper than others to reflect and so thats fine.
  • Chilcotin 167. Plus: Definitely will do what I want. Cons: Price for alu is same as carbon with identical spec from other brands. Probably less peddally than the Dreadnought.
  • Transition Spire in that purple carbon. Plus: BEAUTIFUL and will definitely do what I want. Cons: Fewer reviews of this bike around given how new it is. Timing of availability. Im not really a "transition kinda guy" - ie, theyve not been a bike company that has appealed to me in the past for whatever reason.

Seems to me that theres no bad choice. Id put an Wreckoning on the list too but Im told that there will be no XT Wreckonings this summer. I want to stick with XT and prefer Fox over RS.

timing on the Dreadnought and Chilcotin are similar and the Spire presents more of a risk I think.

This is me thinking out loud more than anything - feel free to ignore but if you want to talk about these bikes Id love to!