2021 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

April 4, 2021, 4:02 p.m.

Posted by: kavurider

Sweet! I have a new one on order, should be here around the beginning of June. Looks good! And I am partial to the pink components.

Rad, which frame/build are you getting?

I had my first real ride on it this morning and it RIPS. Loved pushing it through berms and it’s both playful and composed at speed, at least as much as a 120mm bike can be. Climbed really well for a heavy trail bike too.

Only complaints so far are weight (the alloy frame is over 9 pounds), pedal strikes (I’m using 175mm cranks in the low position) and Santa Cruz’s nonsense suspension recommendations. I have 25 PSI more than they recommend and might add more.

Edit: pics. I do like the color

Last edited by: Abies on April 4, 2021, 4:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 4, 2021, 8:32 p.m.

Love the pink/purple/silver bits! It's subtle and classy. Nice build!

April 4, 2021, 9:50 p.m.

That Tallboy looks dope with the pink bits. I tried to get my wife to go for pink chris king hubs but she wanted black. Since this photo was taken, she has a CK wheelset with CXray spokes, an enve bar and renthal stem, a 175 fox dropper and wolf tooth lever and finally a ti railed SDG saddle. We also got the matching decal set for the fork. She got her megatower one season earlier and it sits for the most part. She only pulls it out when she rides the shore or whistler. With lightish rubber (800-900g tires) the tallboy weighs around 28lbs. I could never ride her bike but at 120lbs it is plenty stiff for her.

Last edited by: RAHrider on April 4, 2021, 9:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 5, 2021, 8:08 a.m.

I made a mistake in my post. The headset is VIOLET ano. Much classier lol.

Sweet bike, glad your wife likes it! I am fearful to weigh mine because then I’ll start needlessly replacing parts and still have a heavy bike, but maybe next year I’ll get the cc frame and swap over. And that build looks perfect for a light rider. I think generally Santa Cruz does a disservice to the bike by speccing some models with a 34 instead of a pike or something, but at her weight I bet it’s perfect.

I don’t ride park so I’m hoping this can be my one bike for everything from local rides to backcountry “epics.” I’m in Oregon not the shore though.

April 5, 2021, 3:43 p.m.

Posted by: Abies

Posted by: kavurider

Sweet! I have a new one on order, should be here around the beginning of June. Looks good! And I am partial to the pink components.

Rad, which frame/build are you getting?

I had my first real ride on it this morning and it RIPS. Loved pushing it through berms and it’s both playful and composed at speed, at least as much as a 120mm bike can be. Climbed really well for a heavy trail bike too.

Only complaints so far are weight (the alloy frame is over 9 pounds), pedal strikes (I’m using 175mm cranks in the low position) and Santa Cruz’s nonsense suspension recommendations. I have 25 PSI more than they recommend and might add more.

Edit: pics. I do like the color

2021 Tallboy V4 AL R build. Can't wait!

April 6, 2021, 10:37 p.m.

Stoked to have a small wheeled bike back in the stable!

April 8, 2021, 12:06 a.m.

Would be nice if companies either reduced the ST length in their Large frames or increased the FC of their medium frames.

April 8, 2021, 9:13 a.m.

The pistachio fox looks great on a black bike.

April 8, 2021, 1:01 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Would be nice if companies either reduced the ST length in their Large frames or increased the FC of their medium frames.

In my case with the HD5 (and my Ripmo AF), Ibis do a pretty good job. Both bikes are size L and have 800mm+ front centers and 420mm seat tubes with good post insertion. I run a oneup 210 on the ripmo and bikeyoke 185 on the HD5 with plenty of space to make them lower, and I only have a 32" inseam. 

Posted by: Abies

The pistachio fox looks great on a black bike.

Thanks! Was a little worried the 38 would feel wooden unless ridden like an absolute psychopath but it's so comfy yet so precise and supportive. Grip2 really is aweseome. My ripmo has a 2021 Lyrik Ultimate and there's no comparison. Fox 38 is awesome.

April 8, 2021, 5:21 p.m.

Dang, bike delivery pushed back to July. Such is life in Covid times!

April 8, 2021, 8:42 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Stoked to have a small wheeled bike back in the stable!

I usually don't like ibis paint, this bike is gorgeous. Long live the little wheels! Looks like so much fun. How does it compare to your ripmo?

April 9, 2021, 1:37 p.m.

Thanks - adding matte ride wrap and replacing the few stock stickers that were yellow with gray ones, helps the look I think.

It's still a polarizing design that many might say looks dated, but i think a lot of the latest bikes are starting to look generic. It has a slightly scary HR Giger type of look which I think is cool.

I expected them to feel similar but the bikes feel very different to me. The HD5 is much more nimble than the ripmo AF. Accelerates and corners much better and easier to place where I want in janky stuff.

At the same time its got a little more travel and is more plush, which is helpful with the smaller wheels.

The ripmo carries a little more speed on fast chunk, half due to inertia and half due to 29er rollover, and the less plush suspension makes it a little easier to manual and bunny hop, but that's more just fine tuning/riding adjustment as much as anything.

Between the fox 38, carbon frame and wheels, and smaller wheels it is a much stiffer/solid feeling machine as well. The AF has always felt a little squirrelly landing jumps (rear triangle flex). The HD5 is more solid in that regard which I love.

Overall I suspect the AF will become my backup/loaner and the HD5 will see the most use. The acceleration and pedalling are so good I think even my hardtail will see less use this year.

Last edited by: Kenny on April 9, 2021, 1:39 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 9, 2021, 6:01 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Would be nice if companies either increased the ST and HT length in their small frames or decreased the FC of their medium frames.

April 9, 2021, 6:06 p.m.

I really love the rollover on a 29er front wheel. Every time I ride one of my bikes with a 29er front and I don't get stuck behind a tall root or poorly placed rock, I think I will never go back to 27.5. My carbon warden is pretty similar in travel to yours and every time I get back on it after being on a 29er, I am amazed at how much more maneuverable it is and the different line choices I have. Also, the small wheels prevent a longer travel bike from feeling overly cumbersome. I know everyone always marvels at how capable the big wheels are, and it's true. But, there is nothing that feels like more travel. My warden is 170/155 yet feels far more nimble than my process 134 did at 150/134. Mullets are close, but still not the same. 

I really dig that bike. Nicely done.

April 11, 2021, 8:37 p.m.

First 29'er. just need the snow to go away now.