2021 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Feb. 11, 2021, 7:23 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Nice pic, nice ride. Seems purple is in this year.

Purple is always cool. 💜 😎

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: heathen

Rocking a 2020 Scout GX with a bunch of upgrades/carry over from my last bike. It now has 1188km and is one its 2nd chain and third set of tires. LoL 

Notable upgrades are Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil with high flow piston update. Turbine stem with Ti bolts. OneUp Carbon bar. Specialized Power saddle. Specialized swat cage. 165mm GX cranks. X01 cassette. 76 Projects bag. 350 hubs laced to XM481 in the front and EX511 in the rear. Don't believe the decals. I did full Slik silver Maple Camo decals, hubs, rims, fork, shock.

When it had a red coil. It would have looked cool if I had a red Lyrik. But I love dark purple.

Nice ride!

The only thing better than olive green and purple is brown and purple ;)

Looks really good. Is it as good riding as it looks?

It rides amazing!!!! I am really impressed. With 25% progression it plays really well with coil. I bumped it up to 160mm x 150mm. If I never left the island I think I would have left it 150mm x 140mm. Bumping it up gives me a perfect mix of pedal able and gnarly for island and off island riding. I have yet to do any lift days but I did a few Squamish days in Alice lake and it was awesome. Can't wait to get to the Shore and test it out.

With about 63.8 to 63.5ha (with the travel bump) I was worried it would be floppy on the climbs, but the short 37mm offset fork seems to fix all that. My Range was 65ha and 46mm offset and it flopped like a fish out of water.

Feb. 11, 2021, 7:28 a.m.

Might get some new Slik decals to really set off the purple look. Probably going to take the purple lock on grips off and go back to black slip on grips.

Feb. 11, 2021, 8:04 a.m.

Might get some new Slik decals to really set off the purple look. Probably going to take the purple lock on grips off and go back to black slip on grips.

Pedals? purple One up composite

Feb. 11, 2021, 9 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Pedals? purple One up composite

Kona WahWah plastic in purple. I have had amazing luck with them.

Feb. 11, 2021, 11:28 a.m.

Taa Daa!

STOKED to have this monster of a bike ready to ride!

Now, if the Polar Vortex would shove off so I don't have to worry about frostbite while riding I can get to Squamish for a ride.

I went with the Code R's I already had as the RSC's are, at minimum, a month and half out from being in stock anywhere. Even the just the lever assemblies are that long from being in stock!

I had the fork serviced and the new 180mm air spring installed. Because the headtube is so long there is just enough space on the stanchions for the travel it's set at! Using the measurements provided in the Boxxer manual for setup I have millimetres of clearance for where the stanchions sit in the crowns and for the 180mm of travel!

#supergiantdownduromonsterbike

It turns out that with really long chainstays and a pie plate of a large cog the RD was literally at its extension limit! If I ran the chain at full length it'd -just- work. But, then when in the smallest cog the the upper pulley wheel and chain made solid contact with the lower line of the chain. Adjusting the B-Tension screw didn't help either.

When trying to sort this out I learned something new. It turns out there is a removable bolt that acts as an extension limiter to the cage. (the little bolt hole with the blue loctite shreds in the picture below) Taking that out and removing one link solved my problem. Hopefully it doesn't cause any unforeseen issues!

Feb. 11, 2021, 12:50 p.m.

purple decals would be cool.

ESI makes Barney grips

Feb. 11, 2021, 1:13 p.m.

purple decals would be cool.

ESI makes Barney grips

I hear they are slippery with sweaty bare hands and don't like crashes. I want to try the ODI Vapor grips. Similar idea but I hear they are tougher. #barneylife

Last edited by: heathen on Feb. 11, 2021, 1:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 11, 2021, 7:48 p.m.

Posted by: RideEverything

#supergiantdownduromonsterbike

This is a lot of bike, I love it.

Feb. 13, 2021, 9:41 p.m.

Little wheels? 26" - Check!

Plus tires? 2.75" - Check!

Travel expressed in inches? 6x6 - Check!

Coil sprung front and rear? Check and check!

Planetary overdrive crankset? Check!

It's the minimum efficiency snow bike! ...except it does have a climb switch...

Actually, I have done a little to reduce the weight since I last posted this thing: The 66 RC2X has been replaced with a cobbled-together 55 RC3 Ti to reduce travel and weight. The OE Fox DHX 4.0 coil has been replaced with a CCDB Inline.

Sorry, no 3DV...

Feb. 14, 2021, 5:32 a.m.

Posted by: WeTYC...

It's the minimum efficiency snow bike! ...except it does have a climb switch...

I like it! That's a real head turner on the trails!

Feb. 26, 2021, 4:57 a.m.

So, still my ride for the last two years and probably for 2 or 3 more:

After demoing a Pole Evolink 150 (built up as a 29er) I was pretty sold on this «modern geo» thing. Earlier in 2018, I’d decided I wanted a 29er after a particularly rocky Enduro experience. I demoed a few other bikes (Transition Sentinel, Cannondale Jekyll) and was interested in trying a Nicolai, but decided they were too expensive. Was interested in some other bikes (Orbea Rallon, Norco Range), but there were no demo bikes available and to me it’s no demo, no buy. After demoing an Unplugged Vol. 1 twice at Bold headquarters and a lot of DMs with Cr4w back an forth (re: Pole and large bikes in general, thanks a lot), I decided it was what I wanted.

Setup

Frame: Size L, longest, slackest setting.

Fork: RS Yari, equipped with a Charger damper custom tuned to my weight and riding style by Akira tuning. 51mm offset.

Damper: RS Super Deluxe, three tokens.

Cockpit: Deity Blacklabel bars (cut to 785mm), 25mm rise, Deity Copperhead 50mm stem. Started out with a 15mm rise bar and a 35mm stem, but the climbing position didn’t work for me, and it was too low on steep descents. Sometimes I miss the almost brutally direct steering it had with the 35mm stem, but in most situations, it handles just fine.

Drivetrain: Shimano SLX, 32t front.

Wheels: DT Swiss 1900 front, Spank 350 laced to a DT 350hub rear

Pedals: Went from Deity plastic flats to Fire Eye plastic flats (those will have to go, though), sometines riding Shimano XT trail SPDs.

Seatpost/seat : KS Lev Integra 175mm, WTB Rocket.

Climbs ok, on steep section i have to really lean forward to keep the wheels on the ground. Great descender. Too much bike for our local trails, but I'm always impressed when I take it somewhere where it can really shine. Feels like riding a mountain lion, it claws into the ground and feels so surefooted. The steeper the better. Can go around even the tightest of switchbacks, even though people don't believe it.
If I could change things, I'd want more stack and standover. Also, the L is similar in numbers to a Nicolai L, so I think I would want an XL (Bold doesn't make one, L is all you get). It still feels a little too small at times.
Customer service has been stellar so far.

Feb. 26, 2021, 6:54 a.m.

^^^^Nice Bike! ( Feels like riding a mountain lion ) Can't get much better than that!

Feb. 28, 2021, 10:07 p.m.

No new bike for me this year but a Helm Coil has revived my evil for me. It's a mullet with 150/150. Very plush and planted feeling with the coil up front but with the older geo and smaller wheelbase as well as small back wheel, it is still really nimble and playful. With the mullet the front end works out to somewhere in the 64.5-65 range. I was lusting after a knolly fugitive but this thing pedals well and is more capable and likely still lighter. I need to get the bearings replaced. It still feels plush but I was doing some maintenance and noticed the bearings were one step away from seized. Can't wait to get it buttery smooth again. 

Feb. 28, 2021, 10:15 p.m.

Man I love the look of those Evils, would love to ride one one day.

March 1, 2021, 7:30 a.m.

No new bike for me this year but a Helm Coil has revived my evil for me. It's a mullet with 150/150. Very plush and planted feeling with the coil up front but with the older geo and smaller wheelbase as well as small back wheel, it is still really nimble and playful. With the mullet the front end works out to somewhere in the 64.5-65 range. I was lusting after a knolly fugitive but this thing pedals well and is more capable and likely still lighter. I need to get the bearings replaced. It still feels plush but I was doing some maintenance and noticed the bearings were one step away from seized. Can't wait to get it buttery smooth again. 

Amazing how quickly this became "old geometry".