2021 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Feb. 3, 2021, 5:52 a.m.

Posted by: GreyHead

Posted by: kavurider

Is that a Cane Creek Inline Coil?  If so, how do you like it so far?

Hi kavurider, 

Thanks it's an amazing bike, hopefully a forever bike, it meets all my requirements for a dual suspension bike. climbs well, descends well. OKay its heavy.  No idea what it weighs - I don't want to know...  Yes, it has a cane creek inline coil.  A lot of discussion with Cotic before I decided (and they were cool about it, gave a great deal as a "lightly used" shock and from all appearances it was brand new) maybe because all my buddies seem to be going coil, but you know what, its surprised me.  I like it very much.  It just keeps that back wheel on the ground.  Example of where I find it quite amazing Climbing:  - Entrance to penny lane that rock armoured section that you ride up, m ex Process with a cane creek air shock used to bounce me around, this just stays glued to the ground - Entrance to Cardiac Bypass from the east, before it was cleaned up, the rooty climb, used to be a mission, with the coil, it was still a challenge but I'd get it a lot more than on the process.  Downhill, well, lets say I've not opened up and let this bike show me what it can do enough, but suddenly I'm looking a rock rolls and thinking, I can do that... Severed/Dales/Forever after/Neds are some of my favourite trails on Seymour, I've never ridden them quite as fast.  But slower, at least for me, technical trails on fromme, like Boundary and Lower Crippler are a lot of fun on this.   

My buddies say its going to need a lot less servicing than an air shock, we shall see.  So far I've no reasons to regret the decision.

I am definitely digging being back on a coil shock for sure.  Love that planted trophy truck feeling.  I also love climbing technical with it, so much traction.

Enjoy the Cotic!  And thanks for responding!

Feb. 7, 2021, 9:27 a.m.

Here's mine going into 2021. Ripmo AF, X01, lyrik ultimate 170mm, super deluxe ultimate. Now has turbine r wheels and Conti tires. It will plow anything but it's a bit of a drag on anything not wide open or straight down. Definitely want to add something in between this thing and the hardtail into the quiver for this year. 

Feb. 7, 2021, 7:40 p.m.

Ripley AF? Phantom? Jesus, Raaw said something about Feb for their rumored "late spring release" short travel bike, thinking Google translate error.

Feb. 8, 2021, 3:26 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Ripley AF? Phantom? Jesus, Raaw said something about Feb for their rumored "late spring release" short travel bike, thinking Google translate error.

no, the launch in februar is right, but i thought the jibb is more going into the 140mm range if i remember correctly

Last edited by: Sethimus on Feb. 8, 2021, 3:27 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 8, 2021, 5:42 a.m.

Curious about the raaw, for sure, but if it's 140mm probably too much overlap, unless it can take 27.5 rear. 

Short travel 27.5 with the possibility of putting a 29er on the front is most likely, SC 5010, banshee spitfire, etc. A pivot switchblade set up mullet maybe, but pretty similar bike to the AF and an expensive proposition. Also who know what bikes will actually be available for purchase this year....

Feb. 8, 2021, 6:51 a.m.

Raaw Jibb probably launches on February 18th.

I don’t know specific final travel numbers, but heard directly from the source that it is a bike that is pedally and nimble, much more playful than a Madonna, but still well at home in a bike park.

Maybe more a main bike for not extremely gnarly terrain than a little sister for your typical enduro beast? But that is just speculation at this point.

But we will see...

The Propain Hugene is also very interesting.

Last edited by: Znarf on Feb. 8, 2021, 6:51 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 8, 2021, 9:46 a.m.

Posted by: Znarf

I don’t know specific final travel numbers, but heard directly from the source that it is a bike that is pedally and nimble, much more playful than a Madonna, but still well at home in a bike park.

Maybe more a main bike for not extremely gnarly terrain than a little sister for your typical enduro beast? But that is just speculation at this point.

But we will see...

Whoa nice info, circled on the calendar. The speculation is half the fun. Hoping for 135mm travel, 470 reach, 430 seat tube, 440 stays. Of course even if you buy the frame scraping together enough parts would be a daunting task.

Hugene's 67° head angle might take getting used to after all the <65° sleds.

Feb. 8, 2021, 11:58 a.m.

Posted by: Znarf

But we will see...

Whoa nice info, circled on the calendar. The speculation is half the fun. Hoping for 135mm travel, 470 reach, 430 seat tube, 440 stays. Of course even if you buy the frame scraping together enough parts would be a daunting task.

Hugene's 67° head angle might take getting used to after all the <65° sleds.

Even the frame could be a issue. One of the guys at District in Kamloops . He ordered a Madonna frame-set, 1st one went MIA. Last time I was in(2wks ago) he was still waiting for the 2nd frame. It was at custom and they where dealing with taxes and such. Looking forward to seeing one in person.

Feb. 8, 2021, 10:30 p.m.

The new Hugene V2 is 65.5HA - it was just launched last week. Looks much more pleasing compared to the V1.

RAAW bikes have fantastic customer service in my experience. But shipping across the big pond (after Taiwan -> Germany) is another complicating factor for sure. With all this going on as well. 

Fingers crossed for your buddy. He will love the Madonna. Mine keeps me happy :)

Feb. 9, 2021, 2:32 a.m.

First ride in this. Finally got over the line after a good friend on the North Shore got one, then spent lots of time in New Zealand and found it equally good. I’m moving back home to NZ in May.

I’m blown away how good it was today. Really surprised how fast it accelerates and holds speed, although I do need some time to adapt my riding to its braking characteristics. Very different from my previous split pivot Devinci’s.

I’ve sold the DPX2 and have a coil going in, while this fork will go to my singlespeed when an ERA arrives.

Feb. 10, 2021, 11:45 a.m.

Seeing as I started these epic threads back in 2009, I figure I should throw my current ride into the tread.

The bike shown below a a big departure from any of my previous rides. Years ago I swore I never ride a 29er or a carbon framed bike. This summer I had to rescind both of those statements.

My new ride is a 2019 Specialized Enduro Carbon 29er - Small

I bought this bike brand new in 2020 because it was the only 29er I was able to find that fit me. I am short and finding a 29er that didn't feel like a boat had proven to be rather difficult. This bike however fits me spot on for stand over, reach and a low front end (it has a tiny head tube). I am 5'5" with a 29"ish inseam. The proportions are near spot on with this design and only on the steepest of steep sections does my butt get buzzed by the rear tire. Tire buzzing and standover are two of the biggest factors that make finding a 29er difficult for short statured people like me.

Since purchasing this bike this summer, I have changed almost every part on this bike. Having typed this list, I once again have realized I should just buy frames and build up my own custom bike. The only parts I have not changed are: stem, saddle, fork and wheels (though I am in the works of acquiring parts for custom wheels)

These are the changes I've made since buying the bike brand new in August 2020

• DHF / DHRII tires tubeless with 2 scoops of sealant
  • Ohlins rear shock
  • Code brakes
  • Nuke Proof carbon bar
  • LEV 5" dropper
  • WolfTooth dropper lever
  • Race Face BB
  • SixC carbon cranks
  • 28T Wolftooth ring
  • Blackspire Trail X chain guide
  • XX1 shifter
  • XX1 derailleur
  • X01 10-52 Cassette
  • KMC chain
  • One-Up aluminum pedals
  • 30.5lbs

Last edited by: Dean-W on Feb. 10, 2021, 11:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 10, 2021, 2:24 p.m.

Posted by: rwalters

In the era of small bikes are cool, I decided to go bigger. I wanted a DH bike that I could pedal around on, and I think this bike comes pretty darn close. It's not light, it's not the best climber, but I can beat the absolute piss out of it, and it doesn't fall apart. 

Notables:

-Zeb Ultimate

-Float X2 Factory

-Nobl TR37s

-OneUp everything

-Codes, 220mm rotors

-Assegai, DHR2, Tannus Tubeless Armour

-11 spd. drivetrain

That gray paint on the Enduro looks amazing with the Zeb up front! Nice spec as well!

Feb. 10, 2021, 4:41 p.m.

Rocking a 2020 Scout GX with a bunch of upgrades/carry over from my last bike. It now has 1188km and is one its 2nd chain and third set of tires. LoL 

Notable upgrades are Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil with high flow piston update. Turbine stem with Ti bolts. OneUp Carbon bar. Specialized Power saddle. Specialized swat cage. 165mm GX cranks. X01 cassette. 76 Projects bag. 350 hubs laced to XM481 in the front and EX511 in the rear. Don't believe the decals. I did full Slik silver Maple Camo decals, hubs, rims, fork, shock.

When it had a red coil. It would have looked cool if I had a red Lyrik. But I love dark purple.

Feb. 10, 2021, 6:40 p.m.

Nice pic, nice ride. Seems purple is in this year.

Feb. 10, 2021, 7:09 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

Rocking a 2020 Scout GX with a bunch of upgrades/carry over from my last bike. It now has 1188km and is one its 2nd chain and third set of tires. LoL 

Notable upgrades are Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil with high flow piston update. Turbine stem with Ti bolts. OneUp Carbon bar. Specialized Power saddle. Specialized swat cage. 165mm GX cranks. X01 cassette. 76 Projects bag. 350 hubs laced to XM481 in the front and EX511 in the rear. Don't believe the decals. I did full Slik silver Maple Camo decals, hubs, rims, fork, shock.

When it had a red coil. It would have looked cool if I had a red Lyrik. But I love dark purple.

Nice ride!

The only thing better than olive green and purple is brown and purple ;)

Looks really good. Is it as good riding as it looks?