2021 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Jan. 31, 2021, 3:24 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Such a tiny water bottle for such a large person. It's a crime that they don't put a bottle mount on a bike that big. I get it on a size med. but on XXL, they should have given you room for 3 bottles at least!

They didn't follow that part of Levy's design....

The water bottle looks tiny because the bike is GIANT! haha!

It's a 600ml bottle so not that small.

I'm really not that fussed about having a bottle on the bike. I saw that other G1 owners used the Fidlock solution so I figured I'd give it a try.

Funny that there's now 2 mentions of the Grim Donut! I do see it, though!

Jan. 31, 2021, 4:19 p.m.

Posted by: RideEverything

Posted by: Poz

Whoa that geometron is amazing. Are you 7 feet tall?

lol!

I'm 6" short of that.

So 7’6” then. 

That’s a large human.

Feb. 1, 2021, 5:11 a.m.

That must be the “new math” I used hear about.

Feb. 1, 2021, 8:13 a.m.

In the era of small bikes are cool, I decided to go bigger. I wanted a DH bike that I could pedal around on, and I think this bike comes pretty darn close. It's not light, it's not the best climber, but I can beat the absolute piss out of it, and it doesn't fall apart. 

Notables:

-Zeb Ultimate

-Float X2 Factory

-Nobl TR37s

-OneUp everything

-Codes, 220mm rotors

-Assegai, DHR2, Tannus Tubeless Armour

-11 spd. drivetrain

Senduro

Senduro

Senduro

Feb. 1, 2021, 8:14 a.m.

Posted by: RideEverything

Posted by: Poz

Whoa that geometron is amazing. Are you 7 feet tall?

lol!

I'm 6" short of that.

Wow that's a great bike. I'm about the same height as you and went for the XL G1 rather than the XXL. I definitely could have gone bigger. The XL is a bit compact for me but it's working out really well and I'm very happy with my choice. Even the XL dwarfs other bikes when you put them side by side.

Feb. 1, 2021, 8:57 a.m.

i just picked up a 2021 marin alpine trail 7, bone-stock. affordable but will replace parts as needed, most likely a set of wheels to start with.  the shop didn't have the alpine trail xr in stock and no ETA but i'm happy with this one

Last edited by: johnny_deformed on Feb. 1, 2021, 9:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 1, 2021, 10:29 a.m.

Posted by: johnny_deformed

i just picked up a 2021 marin alpine trail 7, bone-stock. affordable but will replace parts as needed, most likely a set of wheels to start with.  the shop didn't have the alpine trail xr in stock and no ETA but i'm happy with this one

Nice ride the shop I got my XR thru only had 4. And they where all sold right away. What shop was it ? I bought through District in Kamloops.

Feb. 1, 2021, 11:18 a.m.

i got it in Nakusp, they are good people there. there aren't a lot of Marin dealers around me (Nelson area). there was a (large) XR in Cochrane, AB, and the owner said the rest went really fast. seems to be a popular bike with the geometry changes this year. i have always tried to get a bike with some sort of canadian roots, but as a teenager in the early 90s i remember i used to lust over those marin hardtails back in the day. good enough for me.

Last edited by: johnny_deformed on Feb. 1, 2021, 11:19 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 1, 2021, 11:37 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Yeah I knew it didn’t really work but said f it and went with it anyway

Feb. 1, 2021, 11:45 a.m.

i got it in Nakusp, they are good people there. there aren't a lot of Marin dealers around me (Nelson area). there was a (large) XR in Cochrane, AB, and the owner said the rest went really fast. seems to be a popular bike with the geometry changes this year. i have always tried to get a bike with some sort of canadian roots, but as a teenager in the early 90s i remember i used to lust over those marin hardtails back in the day. good enough for me.

XR was $$$ well spent . I did add Code discs , but that was a personal preference . And I had a Marin in 1994 , the brand has always appealed to me.

Feb. 1, 2021, 4:19 p.m.

SHON'S!!!!

I stopped in at his bike shop when passing through Nakusp. That shop has come a long way. A great shop for such a small town. Good on you for supporting local.

Feb. 1, 2021, 5:34 p.m.

Marin bikes since 2018 are awesome, you'll love them! I had the Rift Zone 1 and was impressed by the manufacturing and build quality. Way better than my '20 Meta AM and the whole bike was the same price as my frame itself without shock. If I didn't have a dialed build to bolt onto the Meta I would have got a complete Alpine Trail all the way. With this year's geometry updates they are even better! Enjoy!

Feb. 2, 2021, 1:46 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

I believe according to a former US-President it is not called "new math" but "alternative math".

Feb. 2, 2021, 6:53 a.m.

GreyHead and RideEverything, beautiful bikes!

Greyhead, is that a Cane Creek Inline Coil?  If so, how do you like it so far?

Feb. 2, 2021, 10:54 a.m.

Posted by: kavurider

Is that a Cane Creek Inline Coil?  If so, how do you like it so far?

Hi kavurider, 

Thanks it's an amazing bike, hopefully a forever bike, it meets all my requirements for a dual suspension bike. climbs well, descends well. OKay its heavy.  No idea what it weighs - I don't want to know...  Yes, it has a cane creek inline coil.  A lot of discussion with Cotic before I decided (and they were cool about it, gave a great deal as a "lightly used" shock and from all appearances it was brand new) maybe because all my buddies seem to be going coil, but you know what, its surprised me.  I like it very much.  It just keeps that back wheel on the ground.  Example of where I find it quite amazing Climbing:  - Entrance to penny lane that rock armoured section that you ride up, m ex Process with a cane creek air shock used to bounce me around, this just stays glued to the ground - Entrance to Cardiac Bypass from the east, before it was cleaned up, the rooty climb, used to be a mission, with the coil, it was still a challenge but I'd get it a lot more than on the process.  Downhill, well, lets say I've not opened up and let this bike show me what it can do enough, but suddenly I'm looking a rock rolls and thinking, I can do that... Severed/Dales/Forever after/Neds are some of my favourite trails on Seymour, I've never ridden them quite as fast.  But slower, at least for me, technical trails on fromme, like Boundary and Lower Crippler are a lot of fun on this.   

My buddies say its going to need a lot less servicing than an air shock, we shall see.  So far I've no reasons to regret the decision.