2021 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Jan. 20, 2021, 7:55 p.m.

Time to start a 2021 Full Suspension Bike thread.

Over the fall I was putting together the parts for a 2021 Santa Cruz Megatower. This is my first current year anything, bike or otherwise. I treated myself to a new bike as a reward for completing my Masters Degree this year. I've had the frame for a while now, it's been difficult looking at it unbuilt until now...

A few highlights:

• Megatower CC - XL
  • Suspension: Cane Creek DBair CS and Cane Creek Helm MK2
  • Wheels: WTB KOM Tough i29 laced to Hope Pro 4, black spokes with silver around the stems, Minion DHF
  • Drivetrain: mixed 12 speed drivetrain: XT cranks, 30t Hope chainring, 12 speed SLX derailleur, XT shifter, eThirteen cassette
  • Post/Saddle: PNW Loam dropper (200mm) and Loam lever and SQLabs 611
  • Fancy bits: Wolftooth Headset, spacers, chainring bolts, and seatpost clamp -- all purple
  • Cockpit: Chromag Ranger (50mm), Nukeproof Horizon 38mm Carbon, Chromag Squarwave grips
  • Magura MT Trail Sport stoppers. 8” front and rear. 

Trails still have some snow on them here but managed to get a short test ride today and so far its everything I was hoping for!

Mega

Mega2

Mega3

Last edited by: Poz on Jan. 20, 2021, 8:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 21, 2021, 6:02 a.m.

Posted by: Poz

Time to start a 2021 Full Suspension Bike thread.

Over the fall I was putting together the parts for a 2021 Santa Cruz Megatower. This is my first current year anything, bike or otherwise. I treated myself to a new bike as a reward for completing my Masters Degree this year. I've had the frame for a while now, it's been difficult looking at it unbuilt until now...

Congrats on completing your degree. A flash new bike seems like a worthy reward for such a big accomplishment.

Jan. 21, 2021, 6:27 a.m.

2021 is year #4 for my GG Smash. It's one of the full metal GGs before they went carbon front ends. It's such a great bike. Fits me well with a setback dropper to tame the steep STA. at 160mm/140mm travel it can crush any trail/feature I have the ability to ride while still making 6hrs+ alpine rides like the one in the photo above a ton of fun. Since I don't ride with a pack I love that it holds 2 water bottles and usually has 2 frame bags attached to it as well.  I sometimes muse about doing a bunch of upgrades to it and then conclude it's rad as it is and it's better to save those $$ for roadtrip spending so I can ride this bike more...COVID notwithstanding! It's not the perfect mountain bike, but it's perfect for me.

I have her apart right now and she'll get all new suspension bearings, new tires, new brake pads, new chain and I'll even clean her properly! When the slop stops I'll hang up the hardtail and get some monkey motion back in my life.

My GF has the new carbon GG Smash. It looks sweet, but I'm not tempted to "upgrade". A light, high performance, hand crafted metal frame made in the USA is a beautiful thing. I can see myself riding this bike into a double digit service life.

I do have some building bike lust for a short travel 29er. Sort of a love child of my Smash and my BFeMAX. That'll probably be a 2022 bike though. Partially because the lust is not yet strong enough to get me to part with the $$$. Partially because I probably couldn't actually get a bike due to COVID in 2021 even if I wanted one and partially because I haven't quite figured out what to target with my bikey affections. GG has a revamped Trail Pistol coming out in 2021. That could push me over the edge. I'd get to try a carbon GG and it would make a nice addition to our budding GG fleet. If I did get a short travel FS bike I'll keep the Smash. Aside from everything else she's paid for!

Jan. 21, 2021, 9:45 a.m.

Mega3

Bike looks good homie. Galaxy decals are a nice touch.

Jan. 21, 2021, 10:35 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Congrats on completing your degree. A flash new bike seems like a worthy reward for such a big accomplishment.

Thanks! It was not easy to do the final year of 3 with a full time job and all that 2020 brought. I told myself I couldn’t build the bike until I completed it so that kind of pushed me along.

Jan. 21, 2021, 11:16 a.m.

Posted by: heathen
Bike looks good homie. Galaxy decals are a nice touch.

I decided to go full geek on this one!

Jan. 21, 2021, 3:37 p.m.

For 2021, I'll continue to enjoy making bad decisions and plowing into stuff on my 2018 Kona Process 153 CR 27.5 in size XL. I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs.

Last edited by: gdharries on April 9, 2021, 12:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 25, 2021, 11:52 a.m.

Couple of updates on the Titan for 2021, mainly the We Are One wheels with hydra hubs and now sporting the short dropouts.

Last edited by: rnayel on Jan. 25, 2021, 11:53 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 25, 2021, 4:40 p.m.

Nice colour choices 😉

How do you like the Titan? It was high on my list.

Jan. 25, 2021, 5:46 p.m.

Oh hi, new bike day a week ago. This thing is a beast. Most recently I'm coming off a 2020 process 134DL 27.5 so the wagon wheels and back to a 6" bike make me feel like nothing can stop me.

2021 Chilcotin 151, threw on my oneup 210mm dropper, other than that she's stock. And raw. So beautifully raw. Did I mention it's raw?

Also... I'm not a new account. I have one going back to 2003 but lurked un logged in for years and can't seem to recover my account. Oh well.... I hadn't realized I made this one 4 years ago now!

Last edited by: nick-nimmo on Jan. 25, 2021, 5:54 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Jan. 25, 2021, 6:48 p.m.

Nice colour choices 😉

Thanks, fellow purple aficionado. 

I like the Titan and it likes me.  Your megatower looks nice as well.  By going with the cheaper alloy frame I was able to go full Gucci on the build.  With a carbon bike. I would have spent another two grand and still gone full Gucci.

Jan. 26, 2021, 9:33 a.m.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKGKTiNh3L_/

My new #shredsled 2021 Marin Alpine Trail XR. Size large. I had the shop change out the brakes for Codes. Other than that box stock. Will be changing to a SQLabs saddle and some ODI F1 series Vapour grips. Oh I added some plastic OneUp pedals and a bottle cage.

Last edited by: DemonMike on Jan. 26, 2021, 9:33 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 26, 2021, 9:46 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Nice colour choices 😉

Thanks, fellow purple aficionado.

I like the Titan and it likes me. Your megatower looks nice as well. By going with the cheaper alloy frame I was able to go full Gucci on the build. With a carbon bike. I would have spent another two grand and still gone full Gucci.

It’s a slippery slope this custom bike game is. I ran a spreadsheet that had budgeted costs, actuals,  and weights and I definitely fudged a few things.

Last edited by: Poz on Jan. 26, 2021, 9:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 27, 2021, 5:35 a.m.

I already posted mine previously, but what the heck. 

2020 Yeti SB165. Push ElevenSix. Trust Shout (not sure how long that will be on there).  It is laid up right now, swapping the brakes and dropper.  Do not like the Codes or the Fox Transfer post.  Going with Shimano and a PNW Rainier.  Just waiting for them to arrive. 

Been riding a Cannondale Claymore while I wait that I recently resurrected from the Buy/Sell, feels odd to ride 26" wheels again.  

Jan. 27, 2021, 4:43 p.m.

That Trust. It’s divisive looking but I like it. You thinking of switching it out?