2021 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

March 25, 2021, 11:28 a.m.

Posted by: Znarf

The bike works on flowy and flat trails, but it is made for gnarly stuff.

-It needs proper terrain and trails (while it is fun enough on the occasional mellow trail, if you only ride blue stuff, get something else)

Awesome review on the sled, boss! One of my riding buddies is on nearly the exact same bike. May I humbly suggest a post-pandemic, Lower Mainland extravaganza? I have some very specific trails in mind :-) I even have a second bikepacking set up for a return trip to Lorna! Think about it ;-)

March 25, 2021, 12:44 p.m.

Great write up! Thanks so much for that!

I love so many things about the RAAW. Aluminum. Geo is right. Its not a bike you will see others on. It checks a lot of boxes for me.

Where are you located Znarf? Are you on the Shore? Actually getting one of these frames is one of the hurdles - if you're here and got one, Id be interested in hearing how you did that.

I think that you addressed one of my riding concerns that the bike might be less than ideal on janky (slower) gnarly stuff versus fast flow. Ive seen multiple references to the Madonna being great at cornering - which implies fast flow to me. I have wondered how it does navigating through slower janky stuff on gnarly terrain. My guess is not great? It does seem that it would be a good choice for steep moves.

And pedal strikes. My current previous gen Slayer has a tough time with this on the second steepest setting (which is also the second highest bottom bracket setting).

Logistically the RAAW might be tough to get versus something local like a Chilcotin but it does look like a sweet bike. Ive seen comparisons to Banshee Titan that suggest that the bikes are similar, and thats a local bike but I dont think that I could ride a non-DH Banshee, or I have some mental blocks about doing that anyways. I hate Specialized for sooo many reasons but that Enduro is probably the bike that checks off the riding characteristics Im after; unfortunately it doesnt check off any other box! Thats a rat race bike!

Last edited by: Ddean on March 25, 2021, 1:02 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 25, 2021, 12:50 p.m.

You don‘t know how tempting that sounds, Henry! (I currently live in Heidelberg, Germany)

I had the privilege to spend three summers in BC and even got to go to the Chilcotins and the backcountry, I will never forget that! Thanks James!

The people were incredibly nice and welcoming. And the biking was spectacular.

With the pandemic it seems as far away as another galaxy and another life.

And we will have our first baby in September, too.

But someday...

Last edited by: Znarf on March 25, 2021, 12:51 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 25, 2021, 1:02 p.m.

You don‘t know how tempting that sounds, Henry! (I currently live in Heidelberg, Germany)

I had the privilege to spend three summers in BC and even got to go to the Chilcotins and the backcountry, I will never forget that! Thanks James!

But someday...

Met you and James at Tyax campground in 2016?? Thought you'd make the connection on Lorna:-) Hopefully, Sterling Lorence is still featured on a wall in your house.

Congrats on your first. The young ones travel well!

-A

March 25, 2021, 1:29 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Great write up! Thanks so much for that!

I love so many things about the RAAW. Aluminum. Geo is right. Its not a bike you will see others on. It checks a lot of boxes for me.

Where are you located Znarf? Are you on the Shore? Actually getting one of these frames is one of the hurdles - if you're here and got one, Id be interested in hearing how you did that.

I think that you addressed one of my riding concerns that the bike might be less than ideal on janky (slower) gnarly stuff versus fast flow. Ive seen multiple references to the Madonna being great at cornering - which implies fast flow to me. I have wondered how it does navigating through slower janky stuff on gnarly terrain. My guess is not great? It does seem that it would be a good choice for steep moves.

And pedal strikes. My current previous gen Slayer has a tough time with this on the second steepest setting (which is also the second highest bottom bracket setting).

Logistically the RAAW might be tough to get versus something local like a Chilcotin but it does look like a sweet bike. Ive seen comparisons to Banshee Titan that suggest that the bikes are similar, and thats a local bike but I dont think that I could ride a non-DH Banshee, or I have some metal blocks about doing that anyways. I hate Specialized for sooo many reasons but that Enduro is probably the bike that checks off the riding characteristics Im after; unfortunately it doesnt check off any other box! Thats a rat race bike!

I think the Titan is a really interesting bike and riding something from a local smaller brand can have benefits. So RAAW is relatively local (3hours by car) for me, but a long way from Canada. Ruben (founder) is very good to work with, but a Banshee might be a safer bet with taxes, duties etc.

I do think that Raaw is now shipping to Canada, though. 

Slow speed handling: 

I feel that it handles well both in high speed and in slower janky stuff, because the suspension is active and it is not all that cumbersome. It is definitely NOT only at home on high speed, flowy stuff. We have a lot of gnarly, awkward rocky and rooty stuff in Heidelberg and the great, centered balance helps. Weighing the front or rear is easy. You need 170mm cranks, slim pedals and time your pedaling right. But that seems true for all modern bikes. I specced alloy cranks and they have some scratches, crank boots for carbon would be advised...

Everything on Mt Fromme would feel great, maybe Bookwus might be a bit funky, when encountering some of these tall steps which have to be almost wheelie-dropped. But in general, it will work. And if your 6ft or taller, it will probably work better than a shorter bike.

But on the North Shore, in Squamish or Whistler you will love it. And probably a Titan as well. 

The situations where a traditional RM7 or old school Bullit can be found, but they are really niche :)

March 25, 2021, 1:35 p.m.

Posted by: Henry-Chinaski

But someday...

Met you and James at Tyax campground in 2016?? Thought you'd make the connection on Lorna:-) Hopefully, Sterling Lorence is still featured on a wall in your house.

Congrats on your first. The young ones travel well!

-A

OH!!! Now I get it - the new nickname fooled me :) 

and Sterling´s wonderful black and white greasy roots moved into our new living room for sure! It´s the big envy of my photographing bike nerd friend, every time he visits. (not right now, unfortunately)

That will be a very special memory for sure!

April 1, 2021, 5:30 a.m.

My new full suspension bike for this year...

Banshee Prime V3...

Appears to be brilliant!

Specs for those we care about such things.

Frame: Banshee Prime V3 Size: L, Shorter (CS are still long) Dropouts, set in Low/Slack.

Shock: Fox DPX2 Performance Elite

Fork: Marzocchi Bomber Z1 160mm

Headset: Banshee Munro

Seatclamp: Chromag NQR

Stem: Chromag Ranger

Bar: Chromag OSX

Grips: SDG Thrice

Dropper: Brand-X Ascend 150

Saddle: Chromag Trailmaster

Wheels: DT Swiss E1900 (boosted with Mt Zoom Centrelock boost kit)

Tyres: Maxxis Minion DHF EXO (MaxxTerra 2.5 on the Front, Dual Compound 2.3 on the back)

Brakes: Shimano XT 4 Pot, 203mm rotor up front, 180mm out back.

Drivetrain: Shimano 10 speed mixture of SLX, XT, Zee, Deore with a Superstar Components chain ring

Pedals: Saint clips

Bottle cage: Zefal from a French Supermarket in the 2000s that i have loving hand bent for extra grip.

Mudguard: RRP Bolt On Mini

April 1, 2021, 11:21 a.m.

Posted by: DanLees1978

My new full suspension bike for this year...

Banshee Prime V3...

Appears to be brilliant!

Specs for those we care about such things.

Frame: Banshee Prime V3 Size: L, Shorter (CS are still long) Dropouts, set in Low/Slack.

Shock: Fox DPX2 Performance Elite

Fork: Marzocchi Bomber Z1 160mm

Headset: Banshee Munro

Seatclamp: Chromag NQR

Stem: Chromag Ranger

Bar: Chromag OSX

Grips: SDG Thrice

Dropper: Brand-X Ascend 150

Saddle: Chromag Trailmaster

Wheels: DT Swiss E1900 (boosted with Mt Zoom Centrelock boost kit)

Tyres: Maxxis Minion DHF EXO (MaxxTerra 2.5 on the Front, Dual Compound 2.3 on the back)

Brakes: Shimano XT 4 Pot, 203mm rotor up front, 180mm out back.

Drivetrain: Shimano 10 speed mixture of SLX, XT, Zee, Deore with a Superstar Components chain ring

Pedals: Saint clips

Bottle cage: Zefal from a French Supermarket in the 2000s that i have loving hand bent for extra grip.

Mudguard: RRP Bolt On Mini

Very nice

April 1, 2021, 7:22 p.m.

Nice Titan and I like the smart build.

April 2, 2021, 6:38 a.m.

Posted by: Poz

Nice Titan and I like the smart build.

It’s a Prime, Titan’s little brother

April 2, 2021, 7:45 a.m.

Whoops. That whooshed right over my head! 

Nice Prime!

April 3, 2021, 8:35 a.m.

Sweet Banshee. I almost ended up with one of those, but got a deal on this v4 aluminum tallboy which I just finished building last night. It’s a heavy pig but Im still excited. I’ve been riding a Honzo with 150mm fork for the past three years so this feels... different. But good.

Tallboy V4

The pink blingy King/Hope/Burgtec stuff isn’t really my style usually but they came with the frame, and I kind of don’t hate it for now? But might swap for silver parts.

Build:

Fox DPS performance elite

Helm V1 air at 130mm. Might bump to 140?

350s to Raceface rims (25mm internal which according to media reports means I will NOT be able to corner and will likely die)

Trail boss/vigilante 2.4/2.5. Love this combo

Nx 11 speed shifter, cranks, derailleur, sunrace 11 speed XD cassette, 30t Garbaruk ring

XT 8000 four pots. Waiting on the front adapter to go 203/180, currently 180 front and rear.

Cheap Kona bars and DMR stem

Trans x 150mm dropper. I think I can clear 170 so that will get replaced at some point.

Trusty Silverado saddle

King headset, burgtec axle, hope seat clamp

Last edited by: Abies on April 3, 2021, 9:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 4, 2021, 2:32 a.m.

I think the silver and pink parts look cool on that build, even though I usually like monocolored bikes.

Seems like a really fun bike!

April 4, 2021, 6:48 a.m.

Thanks, it’s kinda fun to have bright parts on a cold cloudy day. First quick ride indicates there just might be something to this short travel with good geo thing. I hope that’s true because this thing weighs more than a lot of longer travel sleds lol.

Last edited by: Abies on April 4, 2021, 6:49 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 4, 2021, 9:55 a.m.

Posted by: Abies

Sweet Banshee. I almost ended up with one of those, but got a deal on this v4 aluminum tallboy which I just finished building last night. It’s a heavy pig but Im still excited. I’ve been riding a Honzo with 150mm fork for the past three years so this feels... different. But good.

Tallboy V4

The pink blingy King/Hope/Burgtec stuff isn’t really my style usually but they came with the frame, and I kind of don’t hate it for now? But might swap for silver parts.

Build:

Fox DPS performance elite

Helm V1 air at 130mm. Might bump to 140?

350s to Raceface rims (25mm internal which according to media reports means I will NOT be able to corner and will likely die)

Trail boss/vigilante 2.4/2.5. Love this combo

Nx 11 speed shifter, cranks, derailleur, sunrace 11 speed XD cassette, 30t Garbaruk ring

XT 8000 four pots. Waiting on the front adapter to go 203/180, currently 180 front and rear.

Cheap Kona bars and DMR stem

Trans x 150mm dropper. I think I can clear 170 so that will get replaced at some point.

Trusty Silverado saddle

King headset, burgtec axle, hope seat clamp

Sweet!  I have a new one on order, should be here around the beginning of June.  Looks good!  And I am partial to the pink components.