2021 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

April 12, 2021, 2:04 a.m.

Posted by: HeyZeus

First 29'er. just need the snow to go away now. 

Nice and stealthy!

I have the same forks and they are great for the relatively low price point.

April 12, 2021, 7:37 a.m.

I have been super impressed (with that Z1, rode it last year as well), I'm not a small guy wither and they have held up well, creaking/flexing wise.

April 16, 2021, 2:12 p.m.

I’m still on a 2015 Pike without creaking. It outlived the frame, which has a hairline crack on the non-drive-side shock mount on the top-tube. I’m just keeping an eye on the crack for now. 

Pike has a coil and avalanche damper in it. 

I picked up a coil shock for the rear, but I cannot source a heavy 2.25”/55mm Rockshox spring for it. If anyone has a 500+ Rockshox spring in that length I’d very very happily buy it off you. 

April 16, 2021, 3:01 p.m.

MRP or Cane Creek progressive coil?

I'm enjoying the MRP on my old 200x57 shock - upped the preload to access the progression (up to 65mm stroke) and never quite find bottom.

April 17, 2021, 6:22 a.m.

"which has a hairline crack on the non-drive-side shock mount on the top-tube. I’m just keeping an eye on the crack for now"

That sounds pretty adventurous =) The forward shock mount looks fairly flimsy even without cracks (in proportion to the beefy rest of the frame). Doesn't have Kona a good warranty policy? 

Apart from that all - I really dig these Kona models (like yours) more than their newer designs (just for looks). Those were (are) some cool bikes somehow.

April 17, 2021, 10:57 a.m.

I bought it second hand and it’s 6 years old, so I wouldn’t expect any help from Kona  

I can’t distinguish the new ones from any other manufacturer’s bike now. 

I will say that once I put good brakes on it (codes), I really notice the brake jack. It feels like a hardtail when the brakes are on. 

The dropper post options are somewhat limited too with the pivot in the seat tube.

I love the bike though, hopefully I can add a brace on the top tube for the shock and keep it running until bikes become available again

April 17, 2021, 12:48 p.m.

You should reach out to Kona anyways IMO. 

Tell them the truth about it being second hand, tell them that you love it and want to stay on a Kona, ask about crash replacement / loyalty programs.  They very well might help you out on a new frame price.

April 17, 2021, 8:43 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Reposting this one after I've been riding this incarnation for a while. This is my answer to the short-med travel 29er. The head tube angle works out to somewhere around 64.5-65 degrees. The STA is on the slack side but I don't mind that as the wheelbase is shorter than on modern 29ers so it handles a bit like a dual slalom bike, or something like that. It manuals and bunny hops like a dream. At 150/150 travel it has a bit more travel than the short travel rigs but with the smaller back wheel, it feels similar to a 29 with 130-140. It's not so much travel that it takes away from the pedalability or responsiveness. 

If you are looking for something a little more fun and not so cumbersome as a long travel 29er but don't want to drop serious coin on a second modern short travel 29er rig,  consider getting a 140-150 travel 27.5 bike from 3-4 years ago and plop a travel matched 29er fork on it. As long as you don't mind slack STA's, it may be the bike you are looking for.

April 18, 2021, 8:53 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

You should reach out to Kona anyways IMO. 

Tell them the truth about it being second hand, tell them that you love it and want to stay on a Kona, ask about crash replacement / loyalty programs.  They very well might help you out on a new frame price.

I agree. I’ve found Kona customer service to be very good, hence why I’ve long stuck with the brand.

May 6, 2021, 9:38 a.m.

I finally managed to get my On-One codeine frame built up and out for a ride. It’s a big bike, and the rear suspension feels really good. It definitely needs a shock with a lockout for ascending, but I’m very tempted to do a parts swap with the process and see if it could be my new Enduro rig.

June 2, 2021, 3:42 a.m.

Posted by: RideEverything

Here's my #supergiantdownduromonsterbike!

Geometron G1 XXLongest

It's a work in progress at the moment. Waiting on Code RSCs, a 220mm rotor and a OneUp 210mm dropper to come back into stock to finish the build. (the dropper seen here is a 175mm placeholder)

I'm bringing the Boxxer in to get serviced next week and have it lowered to 180mm. once that's done I'll get the steerer cut to where I need it.

I have Tannus Tubeless in the wheels. It'll be my first time running these inserts. I've run CushCore on other bikes for the past couple of seasons. The Tannus are noticeably lighter. Although, I found them WAY harder to install than the CushCore! Frustratingly so!

As it's sitting now I was surprised to find that I didn't feel stretched out as thought I would be. This is the longest bike I've ever sat on!

I'm also little worried about pedalling a DC fork. But, the internet tells me I shouldn't worry. I guess I'll find out in about a month and a half when, hopefully, I'll have all my parts.

Someone is Pinkbike famous...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-11-bike-checks-from-whistler-bike-park-opening-day-2021.html

Last edited by: DanLees1978 on June 2, 2021, 3:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 3, 2021, 1:04 p.m.

So, finally it's NBD! A Crossworx Dash 29 xl showed up.

June 3, 2021, 1:30 p.m.

Looks like a Banshee and an Evil had a baby! I mean that in a very good way!

June 3, 2021, 2:06 p.m.

my 7 year bike hiatus ended today:

after the first climb on its maiden ride

June 3, 2021, 2:21 p.m.

Nice! Is that a Giant Trance?