2015 raceface cranks - sixc vs turbine

Oct. 9, 2014, 8:58 p.m.

Think the turbines can handle a large rider on a banshee rune?

Or should I spend what I got on the sixc? Worth twice the price?

I like the cinch interface for sure. I'm torn and want to do my cranks right.

Oct. 10, 2014, 6:12 a.m.

Great timing on this question… I'm just picking up a set of the new Turbine Cinch cranks today for my AM bike. I am well north of 200 and I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

FWIW, I've had the previous generation of Turbines and the SIXC and I had to send the SIXC back to RF for warranty. The older Turbines were rock solid so I can't imagine the new version with the larger 30mm axle would be any different.

Oct. 10, 2014, 9:28 a.m.

been looking at those as well one of my next upgrades , very nice looking set-up with the one piece sprocket

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 10, 2014, 9:57 a.m.

Either crank would be fine. The SIXC Cinch is a stronger crank rated for DH abuse and is lighter than the Turbine. However, the new Turbine Cinch is stiffer and stronger than the previous generation crank so can handle a lot of abuse. Thanks for your interest in RF!

Oct. 10, 2014, 10:02 a.m.

I've been debating this too. I already have total faith that the Turbines could totally handle me.
I think the only real debate between the Turbines and SixC is about price. The SixC are lighter but significantly more $.

My bigger question is about the Next SLs. I'm 225lbs geared up on an Enduro29. The Next SLs are incredibly light but are they the right tool for the job? I'm not riding the bike park with this bike but it does see a lot of abuse.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 10, 2014, 11:20 a.m.

I've been debating this too. I already have total faith that the Turbines could totally handle me.
I think the only real debate between the Turbines and SixC is about price. The SixC are lighter but significantly more $.

My bigger question is about the Next SLs. I'm 225lbs geared up on an Enduro29. The Next SLs are incredibly light but are they the right tool for the job? I'm not riding the bike park with this bike but it does see a lot of abuse.

If you're not riding bike park Next SL's should be fine. We don't have a weight limit on the crank and they are plenty strong. We have Enduro teams using them without issue. If you are super aggressive and ride your Enduro29 like a mini DH bike SIXC might not be a bad idea. They are still lighter than any aluminum XC/Trail cranks out there and will be able to take all the punishment you can dish out.

Oct. 10, 2014, 11:49 a.m.

If you are super aggressive and ride your Enduro29 like a mini DH bike SIXC might not be a bad idea.

How would you define this? A 225lb aggressive rider in Vancouver/Squamish/Whistler/Pemb riding our average advanced trails that would be considered DH anywhere else :)

i.e. http://www.pinkbike.com/news/just-another-trail-ride-in-squamish-video-2014.html

It's tricky to gauge this kind of stuff now. In the past it was way more black and white. The pedally gear was fragile and the only other option was Diabolus-type stuff which was way overbuilt and heavy but it survived. Now so much of the AM stuff is so incredibly tough at such light weights that it can be hard to tell.

Oct. 10, 2014, noon

How would you define this? A 225lb aggressive rider in Vancouver/Squamish/Whistler/Pemb riding our average advanced trails that would be considered DH anywhere else :)

i.e. http://www.pinkbike.com/news/just-another-trail-ride-in-squamish-video-2014.html

It's tricky to gauge this kind of stuff now. In the past it was way more black and white. The pedally gear was fragile and the only other option was Diabolus-type stuff which was way overbuilt and heavy but it survived. Now so much of the AM stuff is so incredibly tough at such light weights that it can be hard to tell.

TBH you'll be fine with whatever RF crank you choose.

Oct. 10, 2014, 12:32 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

RaceFace, if I chose Next SL, I can rest assured any warranty issues would be covered for life? (assuming no obvious misuses)

I think shoe rub is the biggest risk factor, which I would plan to address at day one.

Now I just have to figure out what length! (170mm most likely)

I just got a SixC 35mm carbon bar an Atlas 35 stem and they are the greatest!!!!!

Oct. 10, 2014, 1:26 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

RaceFace, if I chose Next SL, I can rest assured any warranty issues would be covered for life? (assuming no obvious misuses)

I think shoe rub is the biggest risk factor, which I would plan to address at day one.

Now I just have to figure out what length! (170mm most likely)

I just got a SixC 35mm carbon bar an Atlas 35 stem and they are the greatest!!!!!

All our carbon cranks have a 3 year warranty. Our high end aluminum cranks (Turbine and Atlas) have a lifetime warranty. Thanks for the kind words!

Oct. 10, 2014, 1:35 p.m.

If you're ripping like our man in the video, I'd use SIXC at 225 lbs. He is on Next but is a lighter guy and pretty smooth. If you don't take a lot of air and keep the rubber to the ground Next will be more than fine.

Oct. 14, 2014, 8:27 p.m.

My Next SLs may be the one purchase I regret this season as much as I want to like them. While the Cinch interface and BB have been absolutely bomber, the cranks arms worry me. I've had multiple rock strikes take out small chunks of the carbon, although to RF's benefit I believe its totally cosmetic, but carbon cranks will look like ass with the type of riding I'm assuming you're doing and the aluminium should take much more abuse.

To top it off, one pedal insert is now loose so these have been sent back to RF for warranty. Not to mention I've had water come out of what looks to be a plug on the backside of the crank arm.

Oct. 14, 2014, 8:46 p.m.

Are the SixC's built to handle a 225 pounder knocking out 50-60 days in the bike park a season?

Oct. 14, 2014, 9:33 p.m.

My Next SLs may be the one purchase I regret this season as much as I want to like them. While the Cinch interface and BB have been absolutely bomber, the cranks arms worry me. I've had multiple rock strikes take out small chunks of the carbon, although to RF's benefit I believe its totally cosmetic, but carbon cranks will look like ass with the type of riding I'm assuming you're doing and the aluminium should take much more abuse.

To top it off, one pedal insert is now loose so these have been sent back to RF for warranty. Not to mention I've had water come out of what looks to be a plug on the backside of the crank arm.

I had the loose pedal insert issue on a set of first gen sixc cranks. As for rock strikes crank boots normally solve that problem. I am back with alloy Turbines now and happy with the choice.

Oct. 15, 2014, 10:49 a.m.

I'd love to hear RaceFace address this. My current alloy cranks look like they've been to war and back. Below the pedal inserts are worn shiny with multiple big gouges. There's even some gouges around the BB axle (no idea how that happened). And that's not to mention that the arms are buffed to a chrome finish from ankle rub. We tend to not worry about chunks of aluminum shorn off cranks but how about carbon?