2013 Shimano Saint M820 - derailleur

Sept. 16, 2012, 9:55 a.m.

According to everything I've read this is designed as a 1x10 RD. Does anyone know if the cage is too short to be used with a double up front? Tooth restrictions?

I tried the Shimano tech website but all I found was a blow-apart diagram…

Thanks,

Sept. 16, 2012, 10:03 a.m.

If you are going to run dual ring, get mid cage Der

Sept. 16, 2012, 4:18 p.m.

According to everything I've read this is designed as a 1x10 RD. Does anyone know if the cage is too short to be used with a double up front? Tooth restrictions?

I tried the Shimano tech website but all I found was a blow-apart diagram…

Thanks,

As I understand it the new Saint RD comes with a mode converter that allows it to be used with DH cassettes and normal cassettes up to 34 or 36 tooth. I have a Zee RD and they come in two distinct flavours. One for DH cassettes and one for wider ratio cassettes, but the Saints are supposedly able to do both.

Sept. 16, 2012, 5:52 p.m.

That's not what he's asking.

The Saint derrailleur won't work all that well with a dual ring set up, just get an XT Shadow Plus and call it a day.

Sept. 16, 2012, 6:59 p.m.

Mine can barely take up enough chain to run a 1x10 with 11x36 although it does work fine. I can't see it working on a dual ring at all.

Sept. 16, 2012, 7:30 p.m.

That's not what he's asking.

The Saint derrailleur won't work all that well with a dual ring set up, just get an XT Shadow Plus and call it a day.

Sorry, mis-read the OP…

Sept. 16, 2012, 8:58 p.m.

It works, but obviously you can't run granny to smaller cogs on the cassette-who does anyways. Best to use an 11-34 cassette, 32-22 up front and you're good to go.

Short cage shadow plus is noticeably better, and the extra clearance makes a huge difference for strikes.

Sept. 16, 2012, 9:16 p.m.

Here's where I pull the "I've owned a 2013 Saint Shadow Plus Derraileur for 4 months now" card and say;
I've tried it, it kind of works, but its definitely not worth you spending your money on buying a product that "kind of works", or trying it to find it doesnt work for you, when there's one that will work infinitely better for the same ching.

As previously stated, the 11-36 is a stretch, and already beyond Shimano's reccomendations, but it works with some fine tuning. That being said, the second my chain was at ".75" on the park tool chain gauge, there wasn't any chain tension on the smallest cog, you're nickle and diming chain length enough with that spread.

Sept. 16, 2012, 9:49 p.m.

Just get XT+ and enjoy using your whole cassette in your big ring

Sept. 17, 2012, 9:05 p.m.

anyone used a 10 speed shadow+ rear deraileur with 8 speed shifter and cassette? I'm getting conflicting responses from mechanic friends….

Sept. 17, 2012, 9:38 p.m.

anyone used a 10 speed shadow+ rear deraileur with 8 speed shifter and cassette? I'm getting conflicting responses from mechanic friends….

I don't think so. Shimano 10 speed dyna-sys stuff is not compatible with older 9 speed. The cable pull is different. So while you can use older versions of Shadow 9-speed stuff with 8-speed shifters and cassettes, you cannot use the newer Dyna-Sys (which all Shadow+ rear derailleurs are). At least that is my understanding.

And yes this is annoying to me. I have some perfectly fine Saint shifters (9-speed), but I would like to use the Shadow+ derailleurs. But I will have to upgrade my shifters at the same time and I cannot justify the cost to do both. Especially since the shifters are working great. Sigh…

Sept. 18, 2012, 10:08 a.m.

Or you stick with your awesome short cage Shimano Shawdow and dump your chain guide. My LBS tells me that the dual chain guide (Sram G2 and similiar) work well but dont marry up well the Shawdow . So change to a Bionicon Chainguide and you'll be happy. You dont require the wheels in the dual chain guide being that the Shawdow keeps constant chain tension

This is a Sweet set up. I will be running it later this week.

Sept. 18, 2012, 10:12 a.m.

Or you stick with your awesome short cage Shimano Shawdow and dump your chain guide. My LBS tells me that the dual chain guide (Sram G2 and similiar) work well but dont marry up well the Shawdow . So change to a Bionicon Chainguide and you'll be happy. You dont require the wheels in the dual chain guide being that the Shawdow keeps constant chain tension

This is a Sweet set up. I will be running it later this week.

I would never run a Bionicon guide, purely because of the joke that is the price tag on it. (MEC is the cheapest i've seen though)

Sept. 18, 2012, 1:07 p.m.

I would never run a Bionicon guide, purely because of the joke that is the price tag on it. (MEC is the cheapest i've seen though)

you obviously never seen the price tag for a liteville chainguide ;)

112eur :rocker:

Sept. 18, 2012, 1:56 p.m.

Here's where I pull the "I've owned a 2013 Saint Shadow Plus Derraileur for 4 months now" card and say;
I've tried it, it kind of works, but its definitely not worth you spending your money on buying a product that "kind of works", or trying it to find it doesnt work for you, when there's one that will work infinitely better for the same ching.

Cool - thanks. I'm in the process of building an AM bike and it just sounded really awesome… Not that XT is "bad" by any stretch, but because the shifter is paired with the dérailleur it seemed a natural time to try it out. Or not, as the case may be. I still want to be able to climb anything pretty well so I need that 2nd chainring.