2013 gear rumours

Dec. 20, 2011, 11:53 a.m.

They have issues beyond the pawl thing that's being warrantied?

And bearings. I have been through bearings twice in about a year on the rear hub. Got back from Moab in the spring and it felt like the hub was full of sand. New bearings in the hub did a partial fix. The freehub felt fine but we (shop and I) were not able to get it to run smoothly. Sent it back and it was repaired under warranty. From the looks of it, all but the hub shell is new.

I have turned the axles of their cross wheels too after some use. Gritchy.

The build quality of the wheel itself is stellar. Tight and true with zero truing required. Front hub is perfect. We will see how the rebuilt hub works. It may be that the new parts are different and better sealed.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 20, 2011, 11:59 a.m.

I'm told the 1¼ -inch to 1½-inch headtube and fork-steerer taper that Giant introduced this year as Overdrive 2 has not yet been widely adopted.

"standards"

Dec. 20, 2011, 1:17 p.m.

Too bad…

You know what annoys me about this? It isn't the incessant splitting of the difference that goes on in marketing, it's the fact that Fox came up with a stupid idea (15mm axles) and now insist on using it on products where, increasingly, the justification for using it over the previously in place standard just doesn't hold up. Hopefully there will be a 20mm option, although I'm not holding my breath…

Sweet! Big Ted, where did you find that image? I searched around on Google and Ridemonkey, but I can't find it. That looks like a 26" fork. Going back and forth between the TALAS 29 image on the Fox site, it's definitely different.

It's too bad about the 15mm axle, but I wouldn't hold my breath either. I can't see Fox offering two axle options on one fork platform. That would be super awesome though.

Anyone know if there will be a VAN option? Or Float and TALAS only?

As for the "standards" thing, I have to say the mechanics at the shop I manage are not stoked. If it's a superior product, and everyone can get on board then that's awesome. But if it's just splitting the difference to solve a problem that the marketing department invents (ie: 15mm axle), then it's lame.

Not to be a jerk, but what's up with coming onto the gear forum, clicking on a thread about new stuff, and then crapping all over the stuff, saying how jaded you are and how little it excites you? If you know you're that jaded, why waste your time even replying? Just sayin'… No offense intended.

Ride, don't slide.

Dec. 20, 2011, 1:31 p.m.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with a 36 Float in a 160mm travel? You get a proper thru-axle, 4.5Lb weight and nice thick stanchions? This product has been available for years!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 20, 2011, 5:28 p.m.

I wished my 34 came with a 20mm thru axle

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 20, 2011, 6:27 p.m.

For those who want to see into the future and what 2013 fox stuff looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chirosangaku/

Dec. 20, 2011, 10:19 p.m.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with a 36 Float in a 160mm travel? You get a proper thru-axle, 4.5Lb weight and nice thick stanchions? This product has been available for years!

That's the problem…. It's not new!
If its completly new, they have a better chance of selling more of them.
To be really honest, from working in a shop the only new product from the last few years that actually lived up to the hype and was a bit of a gamechanger was the Reverb (and other adjustable posts)

Dec. 20, 2011, 11:13 p.m.

you guys all need a big hug and a tissue to wipe the tears

Dec. 20, 2011, 11:15 p.m.

For those who want to see into the future and what 2013 fox stuff looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chirosangaku/

Thanks, that's pretty sweet! A couple interesting things to note: 40 is not shown. 36 160 VAN is not shown. No VAN option in 32 or 34 shown. 36 160 Float/TALAS are back to RC2 instead of RLC.

Not sure if I'm digging on the "CTD" (Climb, Trail, Descend) knob on the 32 and 34 platforms…

Interesting stuff though.

Ride, don't slide.

Dec. 20, 2011, 11:17 p.m.

That's the problem…. It's not new!
If its completly new, they have a better chance of selling more of them.
To be really honest, from working in a shop the only new product from the last few years that actually lived up to the hype and was a bit of a gamechanger was the Reverb (and other adjustable posts)

Really? All the Reverbs that came through our shop needed bleeding out of the box, and we've had at least three come back with warranty issues. The cable actuated posts have been awesome. A game changer for sure.

Ride, don't slide.

Dec. 21, 2011, 9:18 a.m.

"standards"

We've started referring to them as "systems."

Between BBs and Headsets it has gotten ridiculous.

-dbNV

www.differentbikes.ca
North Vancouver | West Vancouver | Vancouver Broadway |

Dec. 21, 2011, 9:18 a.m.

Really? All the Reverbs that came through our shop needed bleeding out of the box, and we've had at least three come back with warranty issues. The cable actuated posts have been awesome. A game changer for sure.

gamechanger from the perspective that the rise of reverb and it's counterparts have basically brought all mountain/enduro/super d riding to the forefront of MTB right now…. look at all the races and series there are going to be this year, that genre of riding is going off…. a huge part of that, IMO, are dropper posts and 29ers, because they've made that style of riding more enjoyable for the average joe.

The introduction of a 34mm stanction fork isn't going to shift a particular style of riding's popularity.

Dec. 21, 2011, 11:13 a.m.

gamechanger from the perspective that the rise of reverb and it's counterparts have basically brought all mountain/enduro/super d riding to the forefront of MTB right now…. look at all the races and series there are going to be this year, that genre of riding is going off…. a huge part of that, IMO, are dropper posts and 29ers, because they've made that style of riding more enjoyable for the average joe.

The introduction of a 34mm stanction fork isn't going to shift a particular style of riding's popularity.

Fair enough, point taken. I'm just excited for a stouter fork for the XTC riding around here. I'm over 200lbs in riding gear and I've always felt the 32 platform was flexy at 140mm or 150mm of travel, even with the 15mm axle. I'm stoked to have an option that should be a lot stiffer on a _little _bike.

Ride, don't slide.

Dec. 21, 2011, 11:23 a.m.

Agreed. The problem is fitting a 160mm travel fork to some frames renders the warranty null and void. It's 10mm difference over a 32 fork. You know the length doesn't make a difference. I know the length doesn't make a difference, but that's how it is.

At the moment, the best option is to lower a Lyrik/36 series fork to 150mm, at least in the event of any warranty claims! ;)

Dec. 21, 2011, 12:46 p.m.

^Id be going that way if I needed a 130-150mm 26er.

I did see a 34 160mm 26er though!

Going to need to see when these RC2 kits are available for 160 36s

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.