2012 Norco Range 1, thoughts?

June 17, 2012, 7:05 p.m.

Hi,

I've been searching for opinions on this bike and I can't seem to find much.

I'm replacing my 09 Enduro, I've taken the 2012 Sayer out for a ride and loved it going down but wasn't a fan of the geometry for climbing. I thought I would go and look at the Norco today and I was impressed, it felt nice on the little trails around the bike shop, unfortunately I couldn't take one up Seymor or Fromme.

Anyway, is there anyone out there with experience on this bike? I'm after a do it all bike, shore riding, Squamish and full day cross country epics in the Chilcotins. There is always a compromise but this bike does seem to fit the bill.

The new Enduro doesn't come with a spec I like, the comp is below what I want and the carbon expert is out of my price range.

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

June 17, 2012, 8:10 p.m.

funny i was riding this bike today and thinking long and hard about it.

I spent a while on the choice, and I think the Range is a great selection in the Slayer/Enduro/Dixon rhelm. I thought it was a bit sturdier feeling. They also had it on for a bit of a special this week at John Henry ($4,750 from $5,600). Buut, in the end i had it down to the Range 1 vs a G-Spot at Cove. I chose the G-spot as I felt it was a bit sturdier on the downhill but didn't seem to give up much on the climbing. I also chose it because Cove bikes has been amazing for service/pricing and I wanted to buy another bike from them.

So, yeah I loved it, the specs on the bike were very solid.

June 17, 2012, 8:32 p.m.

I'm in the same process right now. Good to hear some feedback on the Slayer as it is in the running. I want a ride that will do the ups well as that's what my current bike is lacking. I have a friend that just got into a Kona Cadabra. The build for $ seems good and so far the he has nothing but good things to say.

June 17, 2012, 8:54 p.m.

I'm in the same process right now. Good to hear some feedback on the Slayer as it is in the running. I want a ride that will do the ups well as that's what my current bike is lacking. I have a friend that just got into a Kona Cadabra. The build for $ seems good and so far the he has nothing but good things to say.

The cadabra has a very XC feel to it. steep HTA . will climb well , but not a super stable fun bike on Tech , steep down hill terrain

June 17, 2012, 9:54 p.m.

I ride a Banshee Scream, but took a Norco Range 1 out for a test ride. It climbed very well (I set a new climbing record of 38min to 7th secret as compared to 44min on the Scream). But it left something to be desired on the descents. Despite only weighing 29lbs, it felt no lighter than my Scream (47lbs) when pointed downhill. The Range stuck to the ground like glue and didn't like to be tossed around or float over technical sections. It preformed well on moderate drops and it never felt like it would bottom out. Tight and steep sections were a bit scary as traction was limited with the Maxxis Ardent tires and the lack of a dual crown fork provided no insurance if the front wheel were to suddenly wash out and turn whichever way it pleased. So overall I thought the bike was decent for what it was (a 6" travel all-mountain bike), but it definitely favours ascending over descending.

June 17, 2012, 10:01 p.m.

The cadabra has a very XC feel to it. steep HTA . will climb well , but not a super stable fun bike on Tech , steep down hill terrain

Agree with this 100%… it wasn't much different than my current Kona hardtail in terms of feel/stability. nice and light and quick, but left something to be desired in the down hill dept.

June 17, 2012, 10:12 p.m.

Thanks for all the feedback. It appears a few people are considering similar bikes at the moment.

I was at John Henry today, that price is pretty good for the specs you get on the Range 1. I'm very tempted and will most likely pull trigger this week. Obsession is getting back to me on pricing for an Enduro Comp with upgraded shock (RP23), fork (talas 36) and a reverb which will be interesting…The other bike which I love the look of is the Ibis Mojo HD but the price is just a bit out of reach unfortunately.

I really wanted to like the slayer but the StraightUp geometry just felt uncomfortable for me on the climbs, lots of people seem to love it though. I hadn't considered a Cove bike, I may have to head there and have a look tomorrow.

Cheers

Paul

June 17, 2012, 10:14 p.m.

Anybody know where you can demo a Range in the GVRD?

I want to try both a Slayer and a Range. The Slayer you can rent from DB in North Van.

June 17, 2012, 10:46 p.m.

Thanks for all the feedback. It appears a few people are considering similar bikes at the moment.

I was at John Henry today, that price is pretty good for the specs you get on the Range 1. I'm very tempted and will most likely pull trigger this week. Obsession is getting back to me on pricing for an Enduro Comp with upgraded shock (RP23), fork (talas 36) and a reverb which will be interesting…The other bike which I love the look of is the Ibis Mojo HD but the price is just a bit out of reach unfortunately.

I really wanted to like the slayer but the StraightUp geometry just felt uncomfortable for me on the climbs, lots of people seem to love it though. I hadn't considered a Cove bike, I may have to head there and have a look tomorrow.

Cheers

Paul

Just so you are aware the geo has changed dramatically from the 09 enduro to the 12. the 12 is much beefier, heavier and slacker. I guess if you are throwing a talas 36 on it you aint to worried about that though. Up here i think the new enduro's are almost too much bike for most of the valley trails, so it could be perfect for the shore. have you looked at nomads?

June 17, 2012, 10:51 p.m.

If you can stretch the budget think about the Ibis Mojo HD, you can do custom builds, and apart from Giants nothing quite rides like a DW-Link. Not to mention that they are pretty much the nicest looking frames out there.

June 17, 2012, 11:20 p.m.

It depends what you're after. It's also largely a matter of opinion. Most people will tell you their bike is the most awesomest bike ever because they just spent a lot of money on it.

For what it's worth here's my opinion: The Reign X gives up some climbing ability for descending ability. The Slayer is the opposite. The Range and Enduro both achieve a decent compromise (both 4 bar linkage). I personally don't like Santa Cruz bikes (don't flame me - it's just my personal preference). I don't know much about the Dixon. The Knolly Chilcotin is also worth a look but possibly a bit more money.

I would also consider something a bit lighter - bikes are so capable these days that even the 5+5 bikes can handle most stuff you're likely to throw at them. Stumpjumper Evo and Norco Sight would be on my shortlist if I were buying a bike tomorrow.

I recently bought a Range. It's the most awesomest bike ever.

June 17, 2012, 11:22 p.m.

If you can stretch the budget think about the Ibis Mojo HD, you can do custom builds, and apart from Giants nothing quite rides like a DW-Link. Not to mention that they are pretty much the nicest looking frames out there.

The Ibis is indeed the best looking bike I've seen, I'm very tempted and have only ever heard great things. Its hard to justify the price though, the XT build is going for around $6200 at Obsession. In saying that they are checking availability for me…..

June 17, 2012, 11:26 p.m.

I like my Range but I might want something bigger or with an engine on it now

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 18, 2012, 12:03 p.m.

Po_Co Rider

We have S,M, L Range Demos available.

Send me a message and I can set you up

Fanatykco Ski & Cycle
Whistler BC
http://www.Fanatykco.com
604-938-9455 Shop /Repair /Rentals

June 18, 2012, 1:34 p.m.

Different carries Norco, so they may have a demo in the Seymour store or Burnaby store, worth a call.

John Henry might be another to try, they had one during the Bike Fest.

I seem to recall the Range as being one of the new 650b model options for 2013 too.