2012 Norco Range 1, thoughts?

June 18, 2012, 2:50 p.m.

Thanks everyone,

I rode the Norco around the trails by John Henry, it felt good.

I just got a call from Obsession, they quoted me an Ibis with SLX and the kashima coated RP23 and talas 36. Its similar to the Norco…..tough decision indeed.

Since they don't have a large Ibis in stock I'm a little hesitant to buy one, I have heard they are small sizing so I don't won't to buy anything without giving it a go. I'm 6,2, anyone out there with experience on the Ibis?

Paul

June 18, 2012, 3:03 p.m.

I think Woodro is on a large Ibis. They do fit small. I was on a small enduro and when I upgraded to MojoHD I went to a medium frame.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

June 18, 2012, 3:52 p.m.

PCS38

I went through a very similar process last fall. And i analyed the crap out of the bikes on my short list. I knew every angle, legnth, spec. I had a chart comparing all of them. I was neurotic about the decision. I Demo'd a range 2 on Seymour. Climbed really well, very light, but felt the bumps going down. It was a medium and I am just under 6'. I bought a Slayer the next week. I got the large due to the straight up geo. I only got a few rides in before it got stolen. The slayer was a good bike, climbed well, descended well, and was still pretty light. I didn't get a chance to really push it though. Ironically, I was to take the slayer into DB in N Van to get the fork spring swapped out for something stiffer. I was bottoming on my local trail, randy's. When the dust settled from insurance claims, etc. I ended up with a Reign X2. Like others have said, you give up a bit in the climb to get a bit on the down with the Reign X. Which for me, suits my riding more. At the end of the day, its hard to beat the feel of a coil shock IMO. But if bike parks weren't an option for me, I would look at the range in a heartbeat. any one of those bikes are solid. And after all the time I spent researching and going to stores to look at them, I don't think it would have mattered that much what I ended up with. They are all great bikes. And after you get used to the bike you do choose, you make it work and it's awesome.

Good luck.

June 18, 2012, 4:46 p.m.

Thanks everyone,

I rode the Norco around the trails by John Henry, it felt good.

I just got a call from Obsession, they quoted me an Ibis with SLX and the kashima coated RP23 and talas 36. Its similar to the Norco…..tough decision indeed.

Since they don't have a large Ibis in stock I'm a little hesitant to buy one, I have heard they are small sizing so I don't won't to buy anything without giving it a go. I'm 6,2, anyone out there with experience on the Ibis?

Paul

If the price is similiar, seems like a no-brainer to me - the Ibis seems like a great bike by all accounts and the boutique appeal would seal the deal for me.

June 18, 2012, 4:50 p.m.

Check in with Timmigrant, he's been on a Range for quite awhile now. I've been riding my Range 1 since December 2010 and it has performed flawlessly. From Wade's Excellent Adventure…..

to the Seven Summits in Rossland………..

the bike has been a capable climber and descender. I mostly ride the Valley and the Shore but I've taken this bike to the Coast, Whistler Valley, Pemberton and Squamish and it excels in all these locations. I would say it's just as capable on the down as some of the other bikes that people have mentioned and it climbs nicely. Wouldn't beat any world records climbing up Fromme but it does the job well. You won't be disappointed if you go this route.

Shed head!

June 18, 2012, 5:38 p.m.

For the love of god change the fork before it leaves the showroom floor!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 18, 2012, 10:28 p.m.

Po_Co Rider

We have S,M, L Range Demos available.

Send me a message and I can set you up

Thread jack time. You guys leasing Knollys this year? Would like to try a Chili

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 18, 2012, 11:18 p.m.

I'm still rocking my Range 1. I love it. At one point I had a Giant Reign, Santa Cruz Nomad and the Norco Range in the house. I rode all three a number of times back to back. I chose to keep the Range. I found the new Nomad to be a bit harsh. I found the Reign to be a little less efficient climbing than the Range and Nomad. The Range descends as well as any other 6" bike I've ridden, yet pedals well for my needs. I run my Range slightly slacker than stock with a 55 RC3 Coil up front and a chain guide. I've ridden it in the Whistler Bike Park and on long XC rides with nothing more than a tire change and thoroughly enjoyed it on both ends of the riding spectrum.

I've yet to ride the Slayer or the Dixon, and would love to have a go on those bikes.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

June 19, 2012, 9:36 a.m.

We don't currently have any Knollys in the fleet. We are expecting to have two Podiums a bit later in the summer when the first production arrives. No current plans for the Chilcotins at this time.

Fanatykco Ski & Cycle
Whistler BC
http://www.Fanatykco.com
604-938-9455 Shop /Repair /Rentals

July 5, 2012, 12:30 p.m.

Just to follow up:

DB doesn't rent the Range anymore; only the Burnaby store carries Norco now. I can't find anyone in the LM who does rent the Range.

I did rent a Slayer from DB in NV. Great bike - climbs like a bike 2lb lighter than it is and goes down equally well. Only one problem for me - the fit. The 18" is too big and the 16.5" is too small.

July 6, 2012, 6:39 p.m.

Hi,

I've been searching for opinions on this bike and I can't seem to find much.

I'm replacing my 09 Enduro, I've taken the 2012 Sayer out for a ride and loved it going down but wasn't a fan of the geometry for climbing. I thought I would go and look at the Norco today and I was impressed, it felt nice on the little trails around the bike shop, unfortunately I couldn't take one up Seymor or Fromme.

Anyway, is there anyone out there with experience on this bike? I'm after a do it all bike, shore riding, Squamish and full day cross country epics in the Chilcotins. There is always a compromise but this bike does seem to fit the bill.

The new Enduro doesn't come with a spec I like, the comp is below what I want and the carbon expert is out of my price range.

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

My opinion is you should buy my Range frameset.:rocker:

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=33921[HTML_REMOVED]title=2012-norco-range-frame-medium241500[HTML_REMOVED]cat=5