2011 Boxxer - is it an improvement over 2010?

Oct. 27, 2010, 12:50 p.m.

I'd love to run a Boxxer next year but my 2010 WC is a nightmare. Run wide open it works brilliantly for 1-2 days then slows down. And it almost never gets full travel (no, SW couldnt fix it)

So how much better is the 2011 Boxxer? According to Pinkbike:
"there has been some major tweaking done to the internals…. Things have been simplified on the spring side of things, with a new Solo Air assembly that not only controls both the positive and negative air chambers, but uses a more reliable air valve in place of the previous year's O-ring design. ….new and easier to manage knobs on the outside, ….changes to the rebound damping components that RockShox says will do a better job of keeping it and compression duties separate. …..wider and more effective tuning range"

So is it any better? Anyone had long term use of one? Is there still only a smear of oil in there? Does it last longer between services? I'm tempted to go 40 or 888 just because they aren't Boxxers….

Sustainable will be around forever.

Oct. 27, 2010, 1:05 p.m.

Dorado Pro ???

might be a option worth looking at, but i doubt the service interval will suit your needs..

Oct. 27, 2010, 1:34 p.m.

1-2days? Good god. I'd run from that.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Oct. 27, 2010, 1:49 p.m.

get a 2009.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Oct. 27, 2010, 3:28 p.m.

Oct. 27, 2010, 8:23 p.m.

Yup.

Oct. 27, 2010, 8:36 p.m.

Yup.

Double yup.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Oct. 27, 2010, 9:43 p.m.

Well - if your fork is that f'd, whoever worked on it should be put down. Unless of course your e-xaggerating.

If you're not getting full travel, then your o-rings are letting air sneak by. A common issue, but easily resolvable. These things aren't rocket surgery.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'run wide open…' compression? 'slows down?' What does that mean?

If RS has switched to a (hopefully) more reliable valve as opposed to the old o-ring setup, you could always try the new air cartridge (not up to snuff on the stanchion sizes, if they're the same then you're golden.) The o-rings are just that… o-rings. Not particularly reliable in this situation but the setup is light.

Also, a "smear of oil" is normal on the spring side… if by a smear you mean around 15cc (if I remember right). One thing to keep on top of. Imagine a piston ring, except rubber, with no lubrication because of lack of attention.

If you're really fed up, a few parts will put a coil in there without the new fork investment.

If you've absolutely had it… An oil bath fork will be better, and more reliable… but like anything, if you ride the shit out of it it needs maintenance…

Oct. 28, 2010, 8:10 a.m.

Well - if your fork is that f'd, whoever worked on it should be put down. Unless of course your e-xaggerating.

If you're not getting full travel, then your o-rings are letting air sneak by. A common issue, but easily resolvable. These things aren't rocket surgery.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'run wide open…' compression? 'slows down?' What does that mean?

If RS has switched to a (hopefully) more reliable valve as opposed to the old o-ring setup, you could always try the new air cartridge (not up to snuff on the stanchion sizes, if they're the same then you're golden.) The o-rings are just that… o-rings. Not particularly reliable in this situation but the setup is light.

Also, a "smear of oil" is normal on the spring side… if by a smear you mean around 15cc (if I remember right). One thing to keep on top of. Imagine a piston ring, except rubber, with no lubrication because of lack of attention.

If you're really fed up, a few parts will put a coil in there without the new fork investment.

If you've absolutely had it… An oil bath fork will be better, and more reliable… but like anything, if you ride the shit out of it it needs maintenance…

My point wasn't to moan endlessly about the 2010, but instead to discuss the improvements on the 2011 so I'll skip past defending my comments to your last point about an oil bath fork:

I presume you mean a 888? Better and more reliable? Have they improved since '08? I'd like to hear stories of amazing reliability from '10 or '11 888's. I know Tim loves his but I want to hear other people's experiences…?

Sustainable will be around forever.

Oct. 28, 2010, 8:26 a.m.

I presume you mean a 888? Better and more reliable? Have they improved since '08?

yes, they have. The '10+ models are amazing. They're back to the reliability that made them famous pre '08.

Oct. 28, 2010, 9:52 a.m.

888's had issues only for 2008-09 the only two years they had no open oil bath. 2010 with the return of open oil bath have made them once again reliable. Their heavier yeah but you get to ride without thinking about problems. RS Boxxers, get a Team instead and it will be butter smood all season with one oil change mid season.

Oct. 28, 2010, 10:12 a.m.

or get yourself an avalanche cartridge for your boxxer, would be the cheapest option…

Oct. 28, 2010, 10:20 a.m.

888's had issues only for 2008-09 the only two years they had no open oil bath. 2010 with the return of open oil bath have made them once again reliable. Their heavier yeah but you get to ride without thinking about problems. RS Boxxers, get a Team instead and it will be butter smood all season with one oil change mid season.

Rigaud where do you get your information from? The 888s from 2008 and 2009 were both open oil bath. There was substantially more oil in the 2008 and 2009 than there is in the 2010 888. And the 2010 888 is not much heavier than the competition. Similar in weight to a Boxxer Team and a Dorado Pro. Fox 40 is the heaviest of the bunch.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Oct. 28, 2010, 10:21 a.m.

AVA Cart + Boxxer would be pretty sick. If I ever get tired of my Boxxer Team, I think I'll go that way.

Oct. 28, 2010, 10:34 a.m.

:fruit::fruit::fruit::fruit::fruit: