2010 Boxxer team setup or modifications?

July 8, 2012, 1:05 p.m.

Well I purchased a brand new 2010 Boxxer team from steed about a month ago for super cheap.
I'm running a medium spring and I weigh about 185 - 190 pounds.
On the bigger hits I seem to get almost full travel but the small bump sesativity is pretty bad. I'm running all the setting dialed out and rebound about in the middle. I can't run any compression setting because it seems the fork is way to stiff and doesnt work well… It's very confusing.
I've asked a few people if I should run a light spring so I can actually run the settings the fork has but they all said I shouldn't.
I'm just confused with what to do right now. Anyone have some tips or some ideas that would help with this fork.
I want a plush active fork but as of right now it feels like garbage…
Thanks, hope my rant question makes sense. Thanks

superheros
I like bikes

July 8, 2012, 1:29 p.m.

Good luck…

My GF's driver 8 came with a 2010 boxxer and she had the same problem. It spent lots of time at the local SRAM service center and came back only marginally better. I weigh close to 100lb more than her and the fork felt harsh to me too with all settings backed off and sprung for her.

There was a recall/service bulletin on the 2010. I don't recall the details but this did make some improvement so might be worth a shot.

After putting up with it for the last two seasons, she gave up and just ordered a 40. I really hope it shows up before we head up to Whistler in a couple weeks so I don't have to hear about the boxxer anymore.

July 8, 2012, 2:45 p.m.

Avalanche cartridge, get one!!

Seriously I had the same troubles as you, gave up and got an avy cartridge it's all good now!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

July 8, 2012, 5:41 p.m.

There is a recall on this fork? Steed didn't mention that….
I'm most likely going to take it to cove and get them to look at it. I mentioned my concerns to steed about it and they were not very helpful. Cove was a lot more helpful over the phone so far and I didn't even purchase the fork from them. They just said to bring it in and they will help me. Ill ask them about that avy upgrade too.
Im really not happy with this fork right now lol..

thanks guys

superheros
I like bikes

July 8, 2012, 5:47 p.m.

Throw away the hole dropstop system on the left side of the fork,or atleast take out the way to long elastomer in the spring,check oil height's and that fork will be money.

July 8, 2012, 6:43 p.m.

There is a recall on this fork? Steed didn't mention that….
I'm most likely going to take it to cove and get them to look at it. I mentioned my concerns to steed about it and they were not very helpful. Cove was a lot more helpful over the phone so far and I didn't even purchase the fork from them. They just said to bring it in and they will help me. Ill ask them about that avy upgrade too.
Im really not happy with this fork right now lol..

thanks guys

I don't know if it was actually a recall but they definitely replaced some components in the damper with updated parts. Not sure what you'd call that in the bike world…a known issues bulletin or something?

July 8, 2012, 8:37 p.m.

If you look on YouTube there is a video by SRAM that shows you the parts that get replaced with new stuff. Mine had the new parts and still sucked!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

July 8, 2012, 8:45 p.m.

2010 was the worst year for the Boxxer… Many issues.

July 8, 2012, 9:35 p.m.

Don't let this thread continue or it'll add ammo to Tuumbaq's anti-SRAM campaign!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shed head!

July 8, 2012, 10:25 p.m.

I've got some 2010 teams which need some love too. I'm going to try some of the suggestions in this thread on ridemonkey.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19/2010-boxxer-team-bottom-out-229128/

July 9, 2012, 12:20 a.m.

Most of the forks came out with virutally no oil in them and a damper rod seal that is to tight, if I remember correctly. So strip them down, put new seals in, smearing some nice slippery grease around their insides, run 7.5wt Motorex and some FOX Float Fluid as splash lube in the lower legs, do not increase the lube volume more than RS recommend or it may blow the seals, throw the elastomer inside the spring away and put 5wt Mototrex in the cartridge. Should help a lot.

July 9, 2012, 9:52 a.m.

I think there is an issue with the lubing of that fork so for me it just never felt good. They definitely have very little oil in anyway and if they were a bit low on oil from the factory that would not help at all. So try that first (don't add a drop more than the prescribed 10ml otherwise it gets forced past a seal under heavy compression and then you have a 7" travel fork!). I found that storing the bike vertically helped and holding it vertically on the back wheel when waiting in the lift line actually helped quite a bit too! Just to be totally honest, I gave up on it after one season and got a Fox 40.

Good luck.

July 9, 2012, 11:22 a.m.

Well I purchased a brand new 2010 Boxxer team from steed about a month ago for super cheap.
I'm running a medium spring and I weigh about 185 - 190 pounds.
On the bigger hits I seem to get almost full travel but the small bump sesativity is pretty bad. I'm running all the setting dialed out and rebound about in the middle.

I want a plush active fork but as of right now it feels like garbage…
Thanks, hope my rant question makes sense. Thanks

If you can, run as little rebound as possible. Surprisingly the rebound setting actually affects the compression damping as well on that fork. On my 2010 WC, I run the rebound damping wide open (both low and high speed). There is still enough rebound damping in this setting for me (I'm around 165 lbs).

And as others have mentioned, make sure there is enough lubricating oil in the legs. It's pretty easy to do yourself if you have the tools and the time.

Hope this helps,

Dave

July 17, 2012, 6:32 p.m.

Thanks everyone! Ill be trying a few of this ideas now.
Any more ideas?
How about removing the bottem out bumper?

Keep the ideas coming aswell :nerd:

superheros
I like bikes

July 17, 2012, 8:43 p.m.

I'm running a 2010 boxxer team and have never been crazy about the performance. That being said, it's been in to James at suspensionwerx a few times and I know he swapped out and upgraded seals, etc. and, after that, it's performance definitely improved. That being said, I don't think James is doing sram anymore - however, Adam Trotter at different bikes in Kits is very good.