2009 Rockshox WC repair or replace???

July 11, 2016, 1:06 p.m.

I have a 2009 Rockshox WC front fork with some internal issues. It started leaking a lot of oil out the top right side at the end of last year. Took it to the shop and they replaced all the seals and did a full service. Now it doesn't leak oil, but if I ride on it while keeping weight on the front it will slowly collapse until about 1 inch of travel left.

If I pull up it will extend all the way out and process repeats. I was in Whistler over the weekend and they said they could fix it but I don't live there so I didn't want to leave my bike. Called Dunbar today and they said parts aren't available for this fork now so they won't take it??

So not sure what to believe, and what to do? Anyone have any idea what could be the problem? I know there are aftermarket cartridges if that is the issue? Is there a way to test that? I was also told it could be just a leaking bladder?? I am comfortable taking it apart myself, just not sure how to test it to know what is the problem.

Or is it time to just get something newer?

Thanks

July 11, 2016, 2:14 p.m.

Fluid Function in Squamish. A+ review for their service.

July 11, 2016, 4:17 p.m.

Fluid Function in Squamish. A+ review for their service.

Highly recommended for any Rockshox.

Or is it time to just get something newer?

Thanks

Yes, putting another $160+ (probably at least $200) into your fork probably isn't be worth it; it's a old chassis. But it also depends on your situtation. I'd take the money and put it into a newer used fork, then sell your fork for parts.

July 11, 2016, 8:27 p.m.

If anyone can fix it Fluid Function can as they aren't reliant on service kits via the likes of LTP. Is the fork just losing air? Seems like that's what you are describing but I'm not sure. Could just be a loose or knackered valve core which are cheap to replace. Maybe the non-drive side top cap is a bit loose? If air is leaking through to the lowers, it probably just needs some new O rings which again Fluid Function will probably have. If the chassis is still solid and you like the fork, it's probably worth getting it fixed. If there is bushing play then IIRC they are bonded into the lowers on this fork so you'd need new lowers which in financial terms means game over….

Fluid Function replaced some bushings in a 1990's SID recently so I'd take the 'parts not available' line with a pinch of salt.

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 12, 2016, 7:59 a.m.

Thanks for the comments. I gave them a call yesterday and the guy I spoke with was very knowledgeable. I'll be taking it to them to get repaired this time and if anything serious happens down the line I guess it will be time to upgrade.