2008 Xtr

June 15, 2007, 9:56 a.m.

Look at this thing, who's betting on how much it costs? more than XO?

edit: also, because the new design puts it closer to the wheel, although that outside hit from a rock may not hit it dead on, it may be enough to push it into the now very close spokes.

http://www.sicklines.com/2007/06/15/2008-shimano-xtr-shadow-rear-derailleur/#more-1501

Also, on the front page of sicklines, they have a post on the Banshee Rampant 4X, looks really nice. the lettering reminds me of Nicolai.

June 15, 2007, 10:07 a.m.

yeah, but the cage is no closer to the spokes than on a regular derailleur, so i don't see any increased risk.

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

June 15, 2007, 10:14 a.m.

edit: also, because the new design puts it closer to the wheel, although that outside hit from a rock may not hit it dead on, it may be enough to push it into the now very close spokes.

The pulley wheels are in the same position vis-a-vis the cassette and spokes as any derailleur. The body of the derailleur is closer to the cogs but I don't think that will be an issue because the pulley wheel will keep the bady from getting any closer that it is, but time will tell if this works better. Seems like a good idea though. I know all my derailleurs are pretty scuffed up but I don't break them much.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 15, 2007, 10:20 a.m.

i should have thought about that. if it was closer to the spokes, they'd need a whole new cassette with funky spacing or a new rear wheel. nevermind. i'm a little concerned about the carbon cage though, sram was smart to go back to having the aluminum and carbon cage, the front being carbon to look cool and the back being aluminum so there are no more shattered cages. i've seen way to many of the XO cages explode.

June 15, 2007, 11:31 a.m.

looks like you could scrw urself over if you crash on your drive train side..
or possibly if you slightly bend ur der hanger..
looking at how close der body is to the cassette

June 15, 2007, 12:17 p.m.

not all carbon is the same carbon… a little known fact is that shimano has access to very high quality carbon that's not available to just anyone. historically their tests have shown that aluminum provides the best strength to weight ratio.

i guess they've come across some new technology that finally makes carbon suitable for XTR which is most suitable for XC.

Because that's just the way I roll…

June 15, 2007, 1:39 p.m.

I have heard that Shimano is the largest non-military user of carbon fibre in the world. That was a few years ago and it may be that some aeroplane manufacturers use more now. I know your thinking, "how many pairs of carbon shoes or v-brake braces did they make? " Think fishing rods.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 16, 2007, noon

I have heard that Shimano is the largest non-military user of carbon fibre in the world. That was a few years ago and it may be that some aeroplane manufacturers use more now. I know your thinking, "how many pairs of carbon shoes or v-brake braces did they make? " Think fishing rods.

Yes, I have a few friends in Japan and if you say "Shimano" to them, they didnt even know that Shimano was involved in bicycles….they were all thinking "fishing equipment".