2008 Specialized SX Trail II

Sept. 22, 2007, 8:07 p.m.

I think it has to do with leverage and heat dissipation. Bigger rotor has more
leverage (bigger radius), and more surface area so less heat?

You may save a gram with a smaller rotor though (I think I'll loose 20 lbs before
I worry about a couple grams).

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Sept. 22, 2007, 8:17 p.m.

True. But I think we are talking oranges and apples here. I am simply comparing the two models and trying to think why Specialized downsized the rear rotor. Although you are right about heat, it takes a lot of "abuse" to get the rotor to the point where heat makes one better than the other on such good brakes to begin with. I think the smaller size is simply "good enough" hence it is there. If it were a full on DH bike, I am sure they'd put the larger one on there.

Edit:

My question is: what is better, the larger rotor w/ Juicy 5's or the smaller one with Code 7's?

all investing is is a type of arbitrage, and thats not gambling. theres an element of risk and potential of profit involved, but those are broad and dont qualify somthing as gambling.

most Christians I know, myself included, would say that science is the way through which we learn about everything that God has created, but we learn at the pace which he sets for us.

Sept. 22, 2007, 8:37 p.m.

^^^without directly testing it out I would say the power would be about the same (or as much power you would really need) but the larger rotor/juice 5 would dissipate heat better. It would also be more prone to getting bent and potentially screwing up your ride. It would also be heavier (and it would be rotational weight which is the kind you would actually notice).

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Sept. 22, 2007, 9:35 p.m.

It would also be heavier (and it would be rotational weight which is the kind you would actually notice).

While I pretty much agree with your other points…
I think it would be rather minimal still. I think I'd rather have a heavier/larger
rotor and get lighter tires if you're trying to save rotational weight, no?

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Sept. 22, 2007, 9:51 p.m.

Personally I rock light tires and a 7" rotor. But yeah I think the weight savings are fairly minimal on the rotor.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Sept. 23, 2007, 3:58 a.m.

I've switched from 8" to 7" rotor on the rear, and it doesn't make a huge difference

obviously the 8" will deal with heat slightly better, and there is more raw power, but with a modern brake (I run Juicy 7s) there's more than enough power, and the rear brake is not where the power is needed on a freeride bike

I find the lower leverage with the 7" rear rotor a "touch softer" (less grabby) which is nice for controlling manuals, and its less vulnerable to damage when riding north shore trails, and is lighter too, and slightly cheaper to replace if it get damaged

8" front / 7" rear seems to work fine for me

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Sept. 23, 2007, 11:31 a.m.

^^^without directly testing it out I would say the power would be about the same (or as much power you would really need) but the larger rotor/juice 5 would dissipate heat better. It would also be more prone to getting bent and potentially screwing up your ride. It would also be heavier (and it would be rotational weight which is the kind you would actually notice).

Code is slightly more powerful. Having them side by side in my garage does help. The best feathure of Code is the bearing in the lever, It offers a smoother and more controlled breaking. It FEELS like it has better modulation.
Also I find my Juicy 7s do fade.

Sept. 23, 2007, 1:13 p.m.

Thanks for the spec comparison sheet cyclist! I think the SX is a cool bike so I've been keeping my eye on it…the Code's are a nice 'spendy' addition. What do you guys think of them going with a 185mm rotor on the rear instead of a 203mm? I think it's equally or more important to have a 203mm rotor on the rear as well…thoughts anyone?

If you need an eight inch rears power your spending way to much time skidding your rear end!

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Sept. 23, 2007, 1:28 p.m.

If you need an eight inch rears power your spending way to much time skidding your rear end!

i thought 8" was for heat dissipitation.

Sept. 23, 2007, 1:50 p.m.

When your rear tire is skidding, your brake actually cools down. The rotor is not moving and rubbing on the brake pads, therefore no heat is building up.

When you are going down a really steep and long mountain, where you need to drag your brakes the whole time, a big rotor is really nice.

I am a light rider, don

Sept. 23, 2007, 2:15 p.m.

Are the rims much different?

2007: DT Swiss/Specialized E450, 28mm w/eyelets, 36h

2008: DT Swiss EX5.1D, 28mm w/ eyelets, 36h

all investing is is a type of arbitrage, and thats not gambling. theres an element of risk and potential of profit involved, but those are broad and dont qualify somthing as gambling.

most Christians I know, myself included, would say that science is the way through which we learn about everything that God has created, but we learn at the pace which he sets for us.

Sept. 24, 2007, 2:27 p.m.

I think you mean DT E540 rims?

They are actually cheaper versions of the 5.1d. I think they are not welded but just snapped together or something. Also they

Sept. 25, 2007, 1:11 p.m.

My SX came yesterday, had a blast around on it today and i'm impressed.

www.myspace.com/thebatley

Sept. 25, 2007, 1:30 p.m.

Nice! Congrats on a new purchase and ride hard!

Sept. 26, 2007, 2:05 a.m.

What can you say about the 55 fork?
It