2007 Chap

Oct. 23, 2006, 8:41 a.m.

Anyone know the minimum steerer tube length for a large Chap? My frame is waiting at home to be built and I have a line on a Maverick DUC 32… Only its cut to 6.5"

Thanx in advance for your wisdom.

Oct. 23, 2006, 9:40 a.m.

The head tube is about 5 1/8th inches. But don't forget you have to account for the thickness of your headset as well. which will probably add another inch, plus any crowns on the fork, and spacers. 6.5" is pretty short, I'd steer clear of it.

Regulatin' since 1983

"Mount up"

Oct. 23, 2006, 10:53 a.m.

Anyone know the minimum steerer tube length for a large Chap? My frame is waiting at home to be built and I have a line on a Maverick DUC 32… Only its cut to 6.5"

Thanx in advance for your wisdom.

You would most likely be best off with a travel adjustable single crown over the Maverick. So many good choices; Pike, Lyric, 36, Marz. AM, Nixon, etc.

22 Pride

Nov. 12, 2006, 3:49 p.m.

The head tube is about 5 1/8th inches. But don't forget you have to account for the thickness of your headset as well. which will probably add another inch, plus any crowns on the fork, and spacers. 6.5" is pretty short, I'd steer clear of it.

It fit, believe it or not, nothing ever fits when you buy it sight unseen, but this is totally perfect. Mavericks don't want spacers or stacks, if you can help it. So I butted it right up to the top of my Chris King, as instructed. They mount very strangely, but if you pick their brains for the physics of the whole set up, you'll see that there's a reason this Turner guy is a legend in mountain bike suspension….

I took it for its maiden ride yesterday with no front der. (another story)…. The Banshee Chap started off feeling heavy and hard to up the nose off drops and rollers. But that was all in my head. It responded every time I tried something a little trickier that depended on a manual or precision steer on a run out to avoid a stump etc. The Maverick is so freaking stiff. The feel is definitely air, but the travel doesn't stop short or bottom and the rebound is very predicable, if not a little slower than I like, maybe more air is the answer.