2005 Boxxer

March 16, 2004, 7:37 p.m.

I like how they call it "the emerging long-travel market"…..uhhhh long-travel has been here for a while, RS just missed the boat on it.

Looks nice though.

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

March 16, 2004, 7:38 p.m.

Originally posted by illomatic
**I like how they call it "the emerging long-travel market"…..uhhhh long-travel has been here for a while, RS just missed the boat on it.

Looks nice though. **

Well not really, the "standard" had been 7 inches, now the forks are moving to 8, which is what the new Boxxer is doing.

March 16, 2004, 7:41 p.m.

The fork they were reffering to had 7 inches.

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

March 16, 2004, 7:43 p.m.

Originally posted by illomatic
The fork they were reffering to had 7 inches.

Forget what I said.

March 16, 2004, 8:34 p.m.

Originally posted by damian
Damn, SRAM is doing a good job over at RS. And Polish people are useful.

hahahahahhaha!

If you ask me where the motor is, I'll
punch you in the face!!

March 16, 2004, 8:49 p.m.

maybe they will have also caught up to the competion with external compression and rebound dampening in the year 2005.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

March 16, 2004, 8:51 p.m.

Is there an increase in weight in these new versions of the Boxxer?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 16, 2004, 9:06 p.m.

boXXer pride!

March 16, 2004, 10:07 p.m.

I would feel better if they said they snuck into marzocchi and stole their seals and bushings for 2005.

Seriously though it is nice that they increased the turning radius for the forks which were ridiculous, and now lets hope that marz follows suit with their forks soon. I think you should be able to turn the bars 90 degrees from the frame with every fork.

March 16, 2004, 10:22 p.m.

Originally posted by switch
Is there an increase in weight in these new versions of the Boxxer?

I would imagine that there would be a slight increase in weight in the 8 inch Boxxer, but since there keeping it a race fork I would also think that they would try their best to keep the weight down.

March 16, 2004, 11:01 p.m.

Originally posted by banjopete
**I would feel better if they said they snuck into marzocchi and stole their seals and bushings for 2005.

yeah no shite… thats the one place I think Marzcchi is still ahead of the game on everybody

the new stuff looks cool… I especially like the remote lock out system that was featured with the SC forks… dollars to donuts you will see a similar system on black-box Boxxers… wherein the pros can start partially compressed, build up speed and then click the button to release.

Originally posted by ATN
**Competition really is a good thing… I'm loving SRAM X.7 drivetrain. There will be a time when buying SRAM isn't "sticking it to the shimano" but at least they'll still be the best out there.

as for sticking it to Shimano… meh… uber-engineered products from uber rich bike/fishing focussed component maker from Japan, or uber-engineered products from super-UBER-rich land speculators from Chicago… neither of these companies or their owners are hurting… ride what works for you and get over the I'm-riding-this-cause-its-not-that-bullshit

March 16, 2004, 11:41 p.m.

Originally posted by banjopete
Seriously though it is nice that they increased the turning radius for the forks which were ridiculous, and now lets hope that marz follows suit with their forks soon. I think you should be able to turn the bars 90 degrees from the frame with every fork.

Its funny you say that because the Sherman Slider has alot less turning radius than the boxxer, and even less on burlier frames.

Originally posted by polytics
ride what works for you and get over the I'm-riding-this-cause-its-not-that-bullshit

I like the way this man thinks, I run Shimano XT brakes, best brakes ever, lighter than hopes, yet still powerful. I'm really excited to see what the Boxxers have in store.

Myabe people won't hate them as much now because SRAM owns them:rolleyes:

Hoots Gear/Dizzy Cycles/Kenda USA/eNVy

Bonz Lever for __sale__ for Hayes & Hayes 8" adapter for Boxxer

March 16, 2004, 11:51 p.m.

Ive always loved my 02 boxxer…it's just looking pretty rough these days.lowers are getting to be a little gnarly.
i'll give this new 8 inch boxxer a year or two before i jump on the bandwagon…i'm quite happy with 7 inches of travel-its a far cry forwards from back in the xc days of 3 inch "dh" forks….man times have changed.back then the judy dh had only 3.1 inches of travel,and the marzocchi DH3 was damn good competetition on the judy dh,providing the same travel,with reliable rebound damping.

personally,i will not go back to a marzocchi fork for a looong time..i just love how my boxxer is versatile enough to do dh and big hucks on,with very little weight penalty.
it'll be a sad day for sure when(or if) my 02 boxxer finally dies.

March 17, 2004, 8:26 a.m.

Originally posted by polytics
as for sticking it to Shimano… meh… uber-engineered products from uber rich bike/fishing focussed component maker from Japan, or uber-engineered products from super-UBER-rich land speculators from Chicago… neither of these companies or their owners are hurting… ride what works for you and get over the I'm-riding-this-cause-its-not-that-bullshit

Ive gotten over that… I run Shimano XT brakes now and the only way to get me to give them up would be XTR or XT monobody Shimano brakes. I chose a XT cassette over a Sram cassette… could have had full SRAM/RaceFace drivetrain, cheaper too, but no, the XT cassette is a better cassette (better gear spacing IMO).

March 17, 2004, 10:21 a.m.

Gotta agree… I run single speeds exclusively, but when it comes to butchering up a cassette for cogs I choose Shimano as well, I also prefere their chains, although I ran Sachs chains for years. :) I'm also running their XT 8" brake up front ((for now)) and I love it, and just bought a pair of Saint cranks to replace my profiles… but my new-old frame takes a rear disk, so I'm going to pick up an Avid 8" cable actuated ((I've heard too many good things to care who owns the company now)) for at least the back. I'd seriously consider the Pike, but I just ordered a Z-1 SL.

Given the length of the boxxer, compared to a Psylo ((with U-Turn allowing 2" of travel adjustment)) I'd like to see a Boxxer with 4"-7" of U-Turn travel adjusment. Given the number of guys using HT's for Park/Urban/DJ/Shore versatility really is key. That kind of adjustment, and the aforementioned theft of Marzocchi's seals, would make it the most versatile DC fork out there… and, as mentioned above, with almost zero weight penalty ((and in fact zero when compared to SC forks like the Z150 or DJ series))