1x11

May 25, 2012, 12:15 p.m.

Want internal gear hub. Screw the rest of this noise.

Here here.
Standing-O.

Wrong. Always.

May 25, 2012, 12:18 p.m.

I predict Shimano or SRAM, or both, will release the 1x12 standard in 2013. and the 1x13 in 2014. Then someone will get a brainwave for how to mitigate the problems with chain line, clearances, bearings and tension.

maybe there is a way to put a CVT box on a bike? Maybe the guys with scooters on this very forum have some ideas. :)

Paragraph one: See my previous Onion post that I linked.
Paragraph two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVPjhmTThPo

As I understand it the cassette IS wider, but it is shaped around the spokes, hence no change to flange and/or dropout spacing. As I see it, the biggest problem is the crazy range of chainlines you get between the two end ratios.

I think that tyre interference would become a problem too. Maybe we should increase the Q-factor and start riding horses for training!

May 25, 2012, 12:19 p.m.

http://m.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/sram-xx1-prototype-spotted-this-one-goes-to-11-34098/

Read it, see it, like it???

Internal gears will always suffer from internal gear friction. That's one reason why the racing folks won't use it. I like the concept but I do wonder about the chain line and what affect that might have on wear noise etc. I don't have front shifting problems now though and with the Shadow plus I never drop chains or get chain suck so what would be the point?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 25, 2012, 12:34 p.m.

I'm in. I've been waiting and wishing for this since seeing the 9T small cog prototype on Sam Hill and Brendan's DH bikes a while back.

I was 1x9 and it wasn't enough as I'd spin out way to quickly with a 32T and couldn't push it uphill with a 33 or 34T. Went 1x10 with a 33 front and it's better, but still not quite perfect. It's pretty good, but I would like a little more at both ends. I think I'd be happy with a 10-38T cassette rather than a 42T. I see this as a front derailleur killer for a lot of people.

May 25, 2012, 12:45 p.m.

I duno about 1X11 - at least it's only marketed to a specific group. What I am interested in is the chain retention design of the front ring. Widder teeth to fit the widder gaps. It'll be a pain to put the chain on but i'd love to see how well it functions on rough terrain. They could be onto something there

May 25, 2012, 2:32 p.m.

personally, i think this is sweet and makes a lot of sense.

IMO 10 spd shifts and rides just as good or better than 9 spd. based on that, i'm open minded on 11 speed.

420% gear range and 13% gear increments = bang on.

the only thing better than this is would be a light weight gearbox/CVT integrated thru a mega large BB shell/pivot, belt drive, no derailleurs, wide rear spoke flanges. but that's just me dreamin and now that i think about it, space might be a problem.

May 25, 2012, 5:23 p.m.

Can't wait to try! Looks like big improvements over my current 1x10 setup.

Can't tell if [/sarc] or not.

May 25, 2012, 5:47 p.m.

I think they should just spend the money and invent a super good quality internal geared hub…
If they actually focused on it they could do it…

superheros
I like bikes

May 25, 2012, 6:01 p.m.

Two points.

1 - I run an Alfine 11 on my commuter. At no point have I ever thought "man, this internal friction is really slowing me down". But I have thought "there's a bunch of weird shit that happens when you shift at certain points." Cruising in to a stoplight and shifting without pedaling is nice. But you can shift a derailleur far more aggressively.

2 - I've run a 1x9 for the past…well…whenever 9 speed comes out. I have a 10 speed drivetrain sitting in a box for the last year that I haven't gotten around to putting on. In all honesty, I can ride that up 98% of the hills that I ride. And generally if I'm riding something that would cause me to spin this out, it's downhill on a paved road and I can put up with coasting.

I actually checked to see if it was an April Fool's prank when I read that article. I thought that maybe my internal clock had gotten a bit screwed up.