1Up Racks

Jan. 27, 2021, 7:14 a.m.

I've used hitch racks for 15yrs that obscure the vehicles plates and never had a cop ever hassle me. That's driving all over Canada/USA and into Mexico a bunch.

Jan. 27, 2021, 8:25 a.m.

My experience as well. 

One time a cop pulled me over for it. “Oh no, it is!  I have Zap-Straps, I can move it right now.”

“Nah don’t worry about it, have a good one.”

“Thank you sir!”

Jan. 27, 2021, 8:25 a.m.

Vik I would say you’ve been lucky. You never know when you are going to run into a cop who is having a slow day or just needs an excuse to pull you over because he doesn’t like the way you look. I have two friends who have experienced this while coming home from Whistler. Cop was probably more interested in seeing if they were impaired.

Last edited by: FLATCH on Jan. 27, 2021, 8:27 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 27, 2021, 9:45 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Vik I would say you’ve been lucky. You never know when you are going to run into a cop who is having a slow day or just needs an excuse to pull you over because he doesn’t like the way you look. I have two friends who have experienced this while coming home from Whistler. Cop was probably more interested in seeing if they were impaired.

I've been pulled over twice in the last 10 years...both times for actually doing something wrong. I have my cop routine pretty dialed and didn't get a ticket either time. So worrying about a bike rack and a license plate isn't high on my priority list. I live on the island so maybe things are just super chill over here. Although prior to that I lived in Calgary and didn't have an issue with my hitch rack and plate either.

I was pulled over once in WA state because I had covered the expensive bits of my bikes with garbage bags for a long wet drive home. The State Trooper felt that I was obscuring my brake lights too much and asked me to take the bags off. He didn't care about not being able to read the plate through the rack/bikes. No ticket or anything.

Most people I know have a hitch rack on their vehicles and most obscure the plates. I haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket or even being hassled by the cops. It just doesn't seem like something that's a problem.

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 27, 2021, 9:45 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 27, 2021, 10:23 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I've used hitch racks for 15yrs that obscure the vehicles plates and never had a cop ever hassle me. That's driving all over Canada/USA and into Mexico a bunch.

Needless to say when bikes are on the back of the car the plates aren't really visible with any rack. I have never been pulled over either but know a couple people who have.

Jan. 27, 2021, 10:57 a.m.

I have the 1up with a 4 bike tray, and it completely obscures the license plate on the two vehicles I use it on, much more then a NS Rack. I cant believe it wouldn't obscure the license plate on any other vehicle either.

Have also received a ticket for it in Vancouver. Was able to challenge the ticket after I started using the 1up license plate holder. 

Having owned and use both a 1up w/ 4 trays and an 4 bike NsRack - I much prefer the north shore rack.

The NSRack is:

* much more convenient if your frequently using it, it's just there. I don't have to fold it up and down, move the license plate.

* secures the bikes better

* has held up better over time. (The one up started to develop significant play causing bikes to wobble a lot)

* it's lighter

* believe it puts less strain on the receiver when fully loaded.

That being said - my NS Rack has developed that shitty rusty look, and not being able to properly carry road bikes is a pain in the ass.

I think a lot of my issues with the 1up is going to the 4 bike trays, I think it would have held up better if it were kept to two. The aluminum bolts that hold the extra trays, have also totally seized, and I've been unable to reduce it's size.

Jan. 27, 2021, 1:02 p.m.

Posted by: stringaling

I have the 1up with a 4 bike tray, and it completely obscures the license plate on the two vehicles I use it on, much more then a NS Rack. I cant believe it wouldn't obscure the license plate on any other vehicle either.

Have also received a ticket for it in Vancouver. Was able to challenge the ticket after I started using the 1up license plate holder. 

Having owned and use both a 1up w/ 4 trays and an 4 bike NsRack - I much prefer the north shore rack.

The NSRack is:

* much more convenient if your frequently using it, it's just there. I don't have to fold it up and down, move the license plate.

* secures the bikes better

* has held up better over time. (The one up started to develop significant play causing bikes to wobble a lot)

* it's lighter

* believe it puts less strain on the receiver when fully loaded.

That being said - my NS Rack has developed that shitty rusty look, and not being able to properly carry road bikes is a pain in the ass.

I think a lot of my issues with the 1up is going to the 4 bike trays, I think it would have held up better if it were kept to two. The aluminum bolts that hold the extra trays, have also totally seized, and I've been unable to reduce it's size.

That makes sense, the 4 bike setup looks a bit unwieldy to me.  I have the HD version and I have only added one more tray. 

I could see the NS or the Recon rack being a better option if you are regularly carrying more than 2 bikes at a time.  I have never needed more than that and I often only carry one, so the 1Up is perfect for me.

Feb. 26, 2021, 9:11 a.m.

I have owned a 2-bike 1-Up since 2012 and bought a 5-bike Velociraxx last year when we finally got a truck. The VR goes in the garage in the fall because a) the baskets don't fit fat tires and b) it's steel. The 1-Up is much easier to install (for fatbiking) and remove (for skiing) and it's aluminum so if I leave it on for a week or two it's not an issue. I haven't had any durability issues with my 1-Up, and it lived on my previous vehicle year-round.

I wholeheartedly agree that any tray rack larger than 2 bikes is bigger than optimal.

Last edited by: evasive on Feb. 26, 2021, 12:52 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Wrote Recon when I meant Velociraxx
April 10, 2021, 8:11 a.m.

Update:  

So the rack arrived yesterday.  This thing is even better in person.  Quality seems high. Love how small it folds up. I dont plan on leaving it on full-time so being able to put it in the box and tuck it into the closet is great.

June 29, 2021, 6:44 a.m.

I made these up because the rack covered the brake lights.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1574006316&siteLocale=en_CA

June 29, 2021, 5:31 p.m.

Those look nice!

June 30, 2021, 1:33 a.m.

I only know about the 1UP crew.

Last edited by: Mic on June 30, 2021, 1:34 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 1, 2021, 10:46 a.m.

So on the subject but off the subject.

I am a fan of the NS racks. I'm not a fan of the rust issue. I have a friend who will build me one out of aluminum. I know NS has a patent for the hanging hooks. I don't wanna infringe on their design but where would the line in the sand be for copyright infringement? I see Yakima ripped them off pretty bad, maybe too big a company to sue? If NS made an aluminum version I would for sure buy one.

Last edited by: bux-bux on July 1, 2021, 10:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 1, 2021, 12:21 p.m.

I’m no lawyer but I don’t think there’s any patent issue unless you’re trying to monetize their design.

July 2, 2021, 2:05 p.m.

You can copy ANY patent you want for personal use. As long as you don't sell anything you are fine.