1998 Super T

Sept. 2, 2010, 8:01 a.m.

Yes I have ridden one, thanks. Old Marzocchis were over damped and under sprung. Compare it to moto forks, but Marz moto forks are pretty much the worst in that world too. I'm sure the newer Marz mtb forks are good and 1000% times better than that old crap. Every wonder why back then virtually nobody from the WC circuit rode one? What does that tell you?

Thanks for the input - it's nice to know that I'm not missing out on anything.

It's weird to think that mountainbiking has now been around long enough that we can be nostalgic. Kind of like folks who sink tonnes of money into old Mustangs and Corevettes, I'd love to find an old Super T and fix it up. Maybe throw it on an old ATX and go hucking. :)

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

Sept. 2, 2010, 8:07 a.m.

A good friend had one in about 02 or 03. I rebuilt it for him and installed the the cartridges and guts from a 01 super T. We also went to heavy weight springs and played with the oil weights and height. It ended up being a really cool and well riding fork. I wish I could remember what happened to that fork.

Let me know if that fork ever shows up…

~Epictetus

Sept. 2, 2010, 8:18 a.m.

funny, i also used to lust after that fork - more due to rarity than anything else, as i'd never tried it, or talked to anyone who had. funny that a 6" dc fork was dh state of the art not too many years ago…

i thought they had one on the wall at the ns marz shop? that was a couple years ag though.

curious if vintage dh gear will start to become collectable [HTML_REMOVED] appreciate in price. late 80's - early 90's high end mtb stuff is pulling surprisingly decent coin these days.

just browsing images - remember the '98 mr t? sweet 4" dc… check the length of that steerer [HTML_REMOVED] stantions; if you mounted that on a modern bike you'd have 4" of stantions poking at you. damn:

Sept. 2, 2010, 4:46 p.m.

I have a old Stratos in the shed that I tried to mount up to my old hard tale a few years back (mostly for shits and giggles). I ended up having to cut a few inches of stanchion off in order to get it to fit with out having to run a huge amount of spacers under my stem as the tubes would not clear my stem.

Sept. 2, 2010, 6 p.m.

was it the old Super T that had the upper part of stanchion thread into the lower part? Or was that a Mr T?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 2, 2010, 8:07 p.m.

Mr.t. Was effectively convertible to a single crown by screwing off the upper stations.

Sept. 2, 2010, 8:42 p.m.

My 2001 whitbros dh2 is still a kick ass fork

Sept. 3, 2010, 6:58 a.m.

My 2001 whitbros dh2 is still a kick ass fork

I rode one of those a few times back in the day and I have to agree - those forks were amazing - when they were working. The seal system kinda sucked, but it was super smooth in good weather.

It's nice to see some other dudes who feel the same way about old bikes and parts they ahve ridden. For obvious reasons we often get caught up with the newest and the best. Riding with style is making your own art out of a trail by picking a line, etc. And you don't need the best to be the most creative. Lately I've been itching to build up a hardtail, strap on a Camelback, some Lake SPD's with white socks and go rip up some XC.

~Epictetus

Sept. 3, 2010, 7:37 a.m.

That's why I built up that Balfa. Its a 2003 but has slack angles, low center of gravity, great suspension design, durable, and good pedaling. Its heavy though. With a 7" fork the H/A is something like 64.5 degrees. All this hype (much deserved) about "mini-dh" bikes like the TR250 and bikes like that…. well I have basically the same thing and its 7 years old!

The White Bros DH2 was a good fork, I had one. It was buttery smooth, dead simple to rebuild, and was very tunable to varying course conditions. Spare parts cost literally cents to buy. The only issue I has was with the floating piston occasionally locking up, turning the fork into a 4" travel DC. I once had to rebuild mine at the Mt. Tremblant hostel lobby, talking on a pay phone with a friend of mine who knew the fork better than I did. I wonder how the new WB forks are today?

Sept. 3, 2010, 8:15 a.m.

Take a look at this site. You might find something there.

Lots of cool pics of old bikes and gear..

http://www.retrobike.net/forum/
http://www.retrobike.net/forum/gallery2.php

Sept. 3, 2010, 8:33 a.m.

The White Bros DH2 was a good fork, I had one. It was buttery smooth, dead simple to rebuild, and was very tunable to varying course conditions. Spare parts cost literally cents to buy. The only issue I has was with the floating piston occasionally locking up, turning the fork into a 4" travel DC. I once had to rebuild mine at the Mt. Tremblant hostel lobby, talking on a pay phone with a friend of mine who knew the fork better than I did. I wonder how the new WB forks are today?

we sold a bunch of wb's back in the day, and i had the privilege of dealing with those problematic units. the dh2.0 seemed to resolve these issues, and was a fantastic fork - lighter [HTML_REMOVED] stiffer than the shiver, with nicer build quality (ie, really sweet cnc'd crowns). had great dampers, and really amazing longterm durability - i pulled it apart once a year for cleaning [HTML_REMOVED] lubing, though it was still in great shape internally. never had to replace the seals for the 4 years i ran it. lasted 3 bikes, and is still in fine shape. ridiculous.

tried to fit it on a current bike for kicks, but the upper tubes are too long for modern short headtubes [HTML_REMOVED] stubby stems. would have to run a huge stack of spacers, so no go. too bad wb hasn't updated their current dh offering. probably still a great fork, but 8.5lbs doesnt cut it anymore.

Sept. 3, 2010, 10:33 a.m.

Id put my 2001 Big Hit with DH2's Hope brakes and a pushed fox RC up against most bikes out there today.

it was about 45 pounds, big deal

Sept. 3, 2010, 10:35 a.m.

Damped like a Z1 FR of 2000ish.

:heart:

Nov. 25, 2015, 10:53 a.m.

Hey guys I know it's a few years late haha, but I've got a set of 1998 super t forks in basically mint condition if anyone wants to buy them.

Nov. 25, 2015, 11:05 a.m.

Hey guys I know it's a few years late haha, but I've got a set of 1998 super t forks in basically mint condition if anyone wants to buy them.

Oh snap. I wish I never sold my RMX frame now.