1990's Mountain Bike Thread (aka the gravel bike thread)

Sept. 14, 2022, 1:08 p.m.

Fully rigid turns your performance from 11 down to about 0 lol. 

Got to admit though some of the most fun I've had on a bicycle is on original shore trails on a fully rigid, just a whole hidden world of feedback and jankiness.

Sept. 14, 2022, 8:33 p.m.

My 2013 Surface has been sitting for quite awhile but after a recent move it’s come in very handy. I now have single track, gravel trails, paved paths and extremely steep hills out the front door. I’m appreciating the granny gear. I may add a small rear rack and some less aggressive tires to make this a more commuter style rig.

Oh and not quite 90’s geo but very different from my Honzo esd

Last edited by: fattirerider on Sept. 14, 2022, 8:35 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 14, 2022, 8:44 p.m.

Love that colour

Sept. 15, 2022, 10:49 a.m.

Posted by: fattirerider

My 2013 Surface has been sitting for quite awhile but after a recent move it’s come in very handy. I now have single track, gravel trails, paved paths and extremely steep hills out the front door. I’m appreciating the granny gear. I may add a small rear rack and some less aggressive tires to make this a more commuter style rig.

Oh and not quite 90’s geo but very different from my Honzo esd

Oh great.  My "modern bike" is a Rootdown of that era.  I'm feeling very luddite at the mo.  Really got to get a Wolftooth -2 degree angleset to at least somewhat conform to modern society.

;)

That IS a beautiful color indeed.

Oct. 17, 2022, 11:57 p.m.

I'm still waiting on my Stooge Scrambler frame for my monstercrossgravel build (hopefully shipping this week or next!), but I have the rest of the parts ready to go:

I also found a Czech fellow who built his up very similar to my plans, so it gives me more confidence it'll turn out well. He fit a 29x2.8 Teravail Coronado in the back and said he still had 4mm clearance.

Oct. 18, 2022, 9:14 a.m.

Thanks for sharing the stoke! /\ That is right up there with kid on Christmas morning excitement 🎁

Oct. 22, 2022, 9:20 p.m.

Posted by: TristanC

I'm still waiting on my Stooge Scrambler frame for my monstercrossgravel build (hopefully shipping this week or next!), but I have the rest of the parts ready to go:

I also found a Czech fellow who built his up very similar to my plans, so it gives me more confidence it'll turn out well. He fit a 29x2.8 Teravail Coronado in the back and said he still had 4mm clearance.

I love those stooge bikes. That is so exciting for you. What kind of brakes are those? Phil's? And is that a riser headset? You will definitely need to post some pics

Oct. 23, 2022, 4:09 p.m.

Been riding this setup for a year now. Have to say nothing is more fun than a gravel ride broken up by a round of frolf. What's better is when you can talk your wife into both!

Oct. 24, 2022, 2:15 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I love those stooge bikes. That is so exciting for you. What kind of brakes are those? Phil's? And is that a riser headset? You will definitely need to post some pics

Those are Juin Tech GT-P 4-piston cable actuated hydro brakes. The shift/brake setup is already a weird mishmash - 11sp Deore cassette + derailleur mated with Microshift brifters - so I didn't want to add full hydraulic brakes in the mix to make it even harder.

It's a a tall stack headset cover, and a 30mm riser stem. I'm aiming for something like the Tanglefoot Moonshiner riding position, very high drop bars, riding mainly in the drops. I'm either going to love it or hate it.

Frame's coming in today, so maybe I can get it built up and out for a spin next weekend.

Oct. 24, 2022, 9:11 a.m.

^I'm excited for this.

Oct. 24, 2022, 9:13 a.m.

Been riding this setup for a year now. Have to say nothing is more fun than a gravel ride broken up by a round of frolf. What's better is when you can talk your wife into both!

Where is that? Looks fun.

Last edited by: BC_Nuggets on Oct. 24, 2022, 9:13 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 24, 2022, 10:21 a.m.

cable actuated hydro brakes

Oct. 24, 2022, 8:26 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Where is that? Looks fun.

Picture was along the Fraser. We did a loop and ended at the frolf course at queen Elizabeth Park. I'm shocked by how few disc golfers ride a bike to the course. Seems like a natural pairing to me.

Oct. 24, 2022, 11:34 p.m.

Frame came in yesterday! I'm waiting on rust preventative before I build it up, but I couldn't resists throwing enough parts on that I can actually sit on it. I think the saddle will be a little lower when it's complete. Just sitting on it, it feels like it's going to be fast as hell. I was a little worried the sizing was going to be weird with drop bars, or just because the Stooge geo is a little different, but it feels like it's the right size. Even with a mile of headset spacers. The standover clearance isn't as big as I expected, but it's still 4" in bare feet.

I more of a classical gravel bike, here's a glamour shot of my groad bike last night (Otso Warakin Stainless):

Oct. 25, 2022, 10:52 a.m.

I more of a classical gravel bike, here's a glamour shot of my groad bike last night (Otso Warakin Stainless):

Is that a second stem?