150mm fork options

July 15, 2012, 7:39 a.m.

The lower level 2012 stumpy evo comes with a 20mm Revelation. It is a great improvement over the 2009 that i owned. It had way better small bump compliance without blowing through the compression settings. I have no idea how they are different internally. It definitely feels stiffer and less flexy than the 32 with a 15mm A.
If the fork Bryan mentioned came in a 20mm, it would be heavier but the best application i can think of on a stumpy. A lowered 55 would be over kill in a way, but these are two fantastic performing forks.
Lean to the light=20mm revelation, lean to the stiff=lowered 55 or lowered 36 air.

WTF, Over?

July 15, 2012, 5:20 p.m.

replaced the fox TALAS 150 on my mach 5.7 with a 20mm Revelation, 150? or 140… anyway.

I like the Revelation WAY Better. Stiffer, better small bump sensitivity and even if it is 10mm lower its better.

I got used to the TALAS at 150, I was considering converting it to a Float, but now I have the Revelation so I'll stick to this.

anyone want to buy a TALAS 150?

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 15, 2012, 9:49 p.m.

Anyone happen to know if there were any changes in the Revelation 2011 -[HTML_REMOVED] 2012 that I should know about? Seems to be stock kicking around online from 2011 for good prices. 2011 or 2012 it seems like 20mm versions are a rare breed indeed.. but I keep running into happy Revelation owners on the trails who seems quite content with the 15mm (like shirk).

Also putting a call into Suspension Worx tomorrow to get their thoughts on the 140 RL's upgrade potential.

Thx again for the feedback!

July 15, 2012, 10:46 p.m.

2011 or 2012 it seems like 20mm versions are a rare breed indeed.. but I keep running into happy Revelation owners on the trails who seems quite content with the 15mm (like shirk).

Also putting a call into Suspension Worx tomorrow to get their thoughts on the 140 RL's upgrade potential.

I rode a giant reign with a 2012 revelation 15mm on some techy whistler trails and it was plenty stiff and plush when needed.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 25, 2012, 2:52 p.m.

Found a 2012 20mm Revelation RLT at a shop in California from a custom build (customer wanted a Talas 32 with fancy gold stanchions.. go figure), so I picked it up. Looks to be 140mm, though. Am I correct in assuming that all Revelations can be set to 130, 140, or 150mm by spacers and therefore I should be able to open this one up and get those extra 10mm back?

Any general "BC pro-tips" on servicing while I've got it cracked open (particular oil, judy butter, etc)?

For anyone ending up on this thread in the future considering similar options, I note that in 140mm trim the Revelation's axle-to-crown height is 1mm (maybe 2) less than the Fox 140RL.

July 25, 2012, 4:12 p.m.

I was riding a Sight earlier this season which came with a Fox. One ride was all I needed to make the decision to replace it with a 44rc3ti, and that was a huge improvement.

I reviewed the Sight over on MTBR, and my biggest observation was it was an amazing bike let down by a crap fork. I have a 44RC3Ti on my hardtail and it's aabsolutely amazing; smooth, reacts well to little bumps, yet ramps up perfectly. I have the 2010 version which is 140mm, 2011 onward is 150mm.

I love my 44rc3ti. Not sure what it weighs in at but I like it more than my lyrik and fox(both air forks)

IIRC the 44RC3Ti is 4.28lb
Another thing to note about the RC3, it's an open bath fork, so servicing and maintenance is really easy, and doesn't take any special tools.

Found a 2012 20mm Revelation RLT at a shop in California from a custom build (customer wanted a Talas 32 with fancy gold stanchions.. go figure), so I picked it up. Looks to be 140mm, though. Am I correct in assuming that all Revelations can be set to 130, 140, or 150mm by spacers and therefore I should be able to open this one up and get those extra 10mm back?

Any general "BC pro-tips" on servicing while I've got it cracked open (particular oil, judy butter, etc)?

For anyone ending up on this thread in the future considering similar options, I note that in 140mm trim the Revelation's axle-to-crown height is 1mm (maybe 2) less than the Fox 140RL.

The Revelation is a nice fork, the one problem I have with RS is trying to figure out which fork does what; motion control, mission control, u-turn, 2-step, dual air etc.

July 25, 2012, 4:12 p.m.

James no longer does RS, although there might be exceptions, for my revelation work he referred me to Shawn Cruickshanks in Squamish, you can reach him through Tantalus bike shop (604) 898-2588.

He's the go to guy for RS performance upgrades right now, in case you want some tips or parts to make your fork awesome (er).

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

July 27, 2012, 2:19 p.m.

Use the correct weight and volume for the lower leg lubrication oil. I know, not a very good tip. But I figured 10w would do and I threw some extra in cuz more is more better and voila! I could no longer release or adjust the air pressure. Easy to fix though.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 27, 2012, 11:02 p.m.

there's like a spit (8mL) of oil in the bottom of each leg, so my 2011 Revelation owner pro-tip is to store your bike upside down or hanging from the front wheel to distribute the lubricating oil to the lofty upper reaches of the fork.

I've been using EPX Progold grease with good results for a couple seasons. Liberal use on the seals to keep things slippy.

https://progoldmfr.com/store/index.php?route=product/product[HTML_REMOVED]product_id=68

Check my stuff for sale!

July 28, 2012, 10:45 a.m.

Thx for the tips, everyone.

I dropped by Suspensionwerx to pick up Slickoleum and a fork pump (fabulous pump, btw), and check out the Fox 34s. Nice looking fork. Thx to James and Andrew for some good general advice on forks in this range of travel/burl for this part of the world and tips on the Revelation, even though they're a Fox shop.

Also worth mentioning that Shawn Cruickshanks emailed me a fabulous set of assembly tips rather than taking my money to do the job himself - "Don’t forget the seal on the i.d. of the – air, it has a hard life and likes attention" - which says a lot about his business, Fluid Function. For future thread searchers looking for expert Rockshox service, note that Shawn no longer works through Tantalus (although they can certainly get your fork to him), call him direct at 604.848.5475.

As for my used California Edition™ Revelation: Tore it apart last night. Was surprised by the low amount of oil in the lowers, and no oil in the uppers, just grease! Once apart I was amazed that the foam wipers were completely dry, and the foam wiper on the positive air piston was twisted up and also almost entirely dry too. Soaked those in fork oil, took the spacer out and slickoleum'ed everything, and put just 5ml of 15wgt in each lower using an o-ringed syringe from Shopper's Drugmart. Overall not that hard to service these things, which was a pleasant surprise. As a father and workaholic I tend to just let "the pros" deal with fork service to maximize riding time vs. garage time, but I can see keeping on top of this stuff from here on out.

Putting the Revelation on the Stumpy this morning for its inaugural BC ride (Burke). Will update the thread with a ride report in the next week or so.

July 28, 2012, 11:47 a.m.

Did you also ask about the 'upgradability' of the float rl when you were in sw? I'm in the exact same boat, and it an rrlc cartridge will fix things I think I will go that route

July 28, 2012, 5:53 p.m.

Did you also ask about the 'upgradability' of the float rl when you were in sw? I'm in the exact same boat, and if an rlc cartridge will fix things I think I will go that route

James hasn't been able to get the parts for the upper part of the cartridge to turn it into a RLC, unfortunately. My understanding is that a whole new RLC cartridge can be ordered, but the price is high enough that it stops making sense for most people.

FWIW I paid $305 for a near-new Revelation, and there's quite a few brand new ones on eBay from various US-based shops for [HTML_REMOVED] $500.

First ride is done with the Revelation (set to 150mm, initial settings largely mimic'ing Arthur's review). Stiffness wise, I couldn't tell much difference vs. the 140RL, to be honest. Felt rigid under hard braking, possibly. I did find the Revelation less prone to diving through its travel, though, and it did keep some semblance of small-bump compliance even while braking. So based on the initial ride, I'd confirm that it's an improvement over the Fox 140 RL. It's not a dramatic improvement, though. Worth noting that today's ride (Frank's Trail and Hustler on Burke) didn't have a lot of steeps, which is where the 140RL fell apart.

150mm "trail" is definitely an interesting segment of the fork market..

July 29, 2012, 4:35 a.m.

Thanks for the input. It sounds like a 20mm revelation is in my future!