$140 carbon rims

Oct. 4, 2014, 11:44 a.m.

Would probably work okay, though there is only about 100 grams difference, and for me, as my enduro has a 20mm axle, I will probably try it out on my dh bike as a front wheel as well

www.travelswithtyler.com

Nov. 12, 2014, 10:15 p.m.

I don't think it's a good rim

carbon wheels

carbon frames

carbon rims

Nov. 12, 2014, 10:31 p.m.

I don't think it's a good rim

Do you have first hand experience? I have a set of the wider 26 inch wheels and they are bomb proof so far after a season of hard riding. My frame didn't hold up,but the wheels did.

Nov. 13, 2014, 9:04 a.m.

I have beat the piss out of a set of the 35mm 27.5 rims. Rock chips and scratches but true and running great.

Nov. 13, 2014, 1:04 p.m.

Would it make sense to get a dh rear wheel and an AM front wheel?
I have taco'd one front wheel in my lifetime and my stock demo wheel is still straight as fuck from 2 full seasons of bike park hackery.

Is there a reason why this kind of thing isn't more common? Heavy duty rear wheel, lighter weight front wheel? Is it a balance thing?

ya i dunno why its not more common. Keep the front light and nimble, keep the back strong.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 17, 2014, 12:08 a.m.

I have taco'd one front wheel in my lifetime and my stock demo wheel is still straight as fuck from 2 full seasons of bike park hackery.

Is there a reason why this kind of thing isn't more common? Heavy duty rear wheel, lighter weight front wheel? Is it a balance thing?

I've always ran dh rear wheels and xc/am front wheels. Never been an issue. Great way to save weight and still keep your bike from being fragile

Nov. 19, 2014, 5:59 p.m.

I just picked up the wider 29er 35od rims…first real ride on them tomorrow…can't wait to see how they feel.

Any chance of a long term review?

 Flickr Click Here

Nov. 19, 2014, 6:21 p.m.

Via has a long term review on his site that he linked to earlier in this thread.

We have had the wheels for about the same amount of time. I have not had any issues… They have been great. I took them to get retensioned once just because, they did not need much work. A little out of true now, I bashed them pretty hard this year, so that is to be expected.

I was worried that with my hefty weight (250lbs) and hack riding style they would not last long…. But so far so good.

Nov. 19, 2014, 9:53 p.m.

Just built a 30mm hookless front 29 to a hope pro 2 with revolution spokes (288/286). Wow are these rims stiff! Super noticeable coming from an easton xct.

Nov. 20, 2014, 8:59 a.m.

a good video about carbon wheels:

http://dirtmountainbike.com/features/carbon-mtb-wheels-do-you-need-them.html

:canada:

Nov. 20, 2014, 11:20 p.m.

Hi guys, I've accumulated quite a bit of experience with a host of different carbon rims over the last few years. We've built hundreds of carbon wheels up and it's been quite the learning process.

I should be able to offer some sound advice when it comes to carbon rims, hubs, spoke choice, nipples, build patterns etc. Let me know if you have any questions.

- Trevor

NOBL Wheels
www.noblwheels.com
www.facebook.com/NOBLWheels
https://www.instagram.com/noblwheels/

Nov. 22, 2014, 11:01 a.m.

That is interesting. I find my Enve 60-40 rims stiff. They do clunk when I bottom out. But one of the benefits Zipp claimed for their 303 tubular rims was a little compliance for comfort and preventing pinch flats for cobblestone races. The sides if the rim are claimed to bow out a bit when you hit pothole or something.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 22, 2014, 11:02 a.m.

That is interesting. I find my Enve 60-40 rims stiff. They do clunk when I bottom out. But one of the benefits Zipp claimed for their 303 tubular rims was a little compliance for comfort and preventing pinch flats for cobblestone races. The sides of the rim are claimed to bow out a bit when you hit pothole or something.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 22, 2014, 9:24 p.m.

Hi guys, I've accumulated quite a bit of experience with a host of different carbon rims over the last few years. We've built hundreds of carbon wheels up and it's been quite the learning process.

I should be able to offer some sound advice when it comes to carbon rims, hubs, spoke choice, nipples, build patterns etc. Let me know if you have any questions.

- Trevor

Here's my question…why would you post this without offering any opinions or answers to many of the general questions about carbron rims posted on many forums including this one, or anything that's been asked or eluded to so far in this thread?

Nov. 23, 2014, 7:01 p.m.

Here's my question…why would you post this without offering any opinions or answers to many of the general questions about carbron rims posted on many forums including this one, or anything that's been asked or eluded to so far in this thread?

Apologies for that, I am new to forums and should have been on here a long time ago. I've picked some posts from 2014 to reply to.

they're slightly concave with rounded edges. Looks good to me.

Bryce - regarding using nipple washers with carbon rims, I am interested to hear how you made out with this. I have not had a nipples pull through a carbon rim before. Or if a customer has had that happen, I have not heard about it. So for this reason, I have not had washers as a high priority on my list. We are in retail now, so my priority for a no hassle wheel is higher than ever and I am revisiting this. Alloy nipples typically weigh 1/3 gram versus 1 gram for brass. A washer with alloy nipple might not yield any weight savings, so I suppose you were doing this for pull-through protection and not corrosion reasons? The best thing you can probably do to prevent nipple pull-through is to buy a tension meter so you know you are at the correct amount of tension.

My usual recommendation is to build a burlier rear wheel and a lighter front wheel. Whether it's alloy nipples on the front instead of brass, lighter front spokes, less spoke count, or a lighter rim, it all makes good sense to me to consider your options. I've never had anyone say "I wish we went with the burly build on the front also". If you destroy a front wheel, that "usually" means you've done something well above and beyond your normal scope of riding.

ya i dunno why its not more common. Keep the front light and nimble, keep the back strong.

I think it is not as common for 2 main reasons. The first being it costs companies more money to do a different set up for the front. For example, you could have to stock more spokes because the size or the gauge is different. The rims could even pop out of the same mould but have a different wall thickness or have less holes drilled in it. As soon as you change the item, your inventory has to increase. Inventory is one of the biggest considerations for a business because of the large financial implications. Customer service costs also rise if you offer more options for a product.

Another main reason is that customers (or the perception a business has of their customers) is that they like things to match. I like to do things like build with back brass nipples for the back wheel and black alloy up front, or thicker walls in the rear rim, or offer a slightly different spoke gauge. This way you can maintain the same look and get the weight savings.

Just built a 30mm hookless front 29 to a hope pro 2 with revolution spokes (288/286). Wow are these rims stiff! Super noticeable coming from an easton xct.

Nice build. I like building with the DT Revolution Spokes, I would just avoid using them on the rear drive side. They wind up more than a thicker spoke, but you can account for that when building. The Rev's are quite strong considering their low weight. They also stretch out a bit more than you might be used to, so you likely will have to re-tension them from time to time, but especially after the first 2-3 rides. Another consideration when building with round spokes that are 1.4-1.6 mm in the middle, is that you would typically get a length 1mm shorter than normal (where possible), due to the stretch.

NOBL Wheels
www.noblwheels.com
www.facebook.com/NOBLWheels
https://www.instagram.com/noblwheels/