$140 carbon rims

April 18, 2015, 6:02 p.m.

Damnit :(

You getting the new V10 then?

Yup, got the black one. Just waiting on hubs and headset so should hopefully have it built soon.

April 3, 2016, 6:11 a.m.

Been a while since any updates in this thread. How are `everyones rims´ holding up?

Looking at breaking my student budget on a LB wheelset for my cyclocross. 45 or 55mm high and 25mm wide (outer) u-shape disc rim on hope pro 4 straight pull and pillar aero spokes/brass nipples.
Hope hubs because they can be converted with ease. Worth the premium over Novatec hubs imho.

Was thinking about lighter 29" medium wide XC rims instead of the higher profile road/CX rims, but it would be nice to be able to run high pressure race tyres if needed.

All my hands on experience is on mtb rims/wheels, so I´m kind of lost. Some of you also ride cross/race bikes so thought I´d ask around here. My impression of NSMB is that you guys n gals actually ride your bikes when not at the computer, so more valuable input.

What wheelset would you build for an all purpose cross bike?

April 4, 2016, 10:42 a.m.

Been a while since any updates in this thread. How are `everyones rims´ holding up?

Looking at breaking my student budget on a LB wheelset for my cyclocross. 45 or 55mm high and 25mm wide (outer) u-shape disc rim on hope pro 4 straight pull and pillar aero spokes/brass nipples.
Hope hubs because they can be converted with ease. Worth the premium over Novatec hubs imho.

Was thinking about lighter 29" medium wide XC rims instead of the higher profile road/CX rims, but it would be nice to be able to run high pressure race tyres if needed.

All my hands on experience is on mtb rims/wheels, so I´m kind of lost. Some of you also ride cross/race bikes so thought I´d ask around here. My impression of NSMB is that you guys n gals actually ride your bikes when not at the computer, so more valuable input.

Hi, I just finished up a build for my cx/adventure/commuter bike with LB RM29C06's+DT240+CXray. I think for cx the wider MTB rims are the way to go for sure. Really happy with mine so far.

April 6, 2016, 9:21 a.m.

Hi, I just finished up a build for my cx/adventure/commuter bike with LB RM29C06's+DT240+CXray. I think for cx the wider MTB rims are the way to go for sure. Really happy with mine so far.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/K0rGh5ZU7PZZ6Oz0mHDyC1I1eBWQf5yn-9ITwvMr7bSMJtfaSyyFbTLeyZEixnHPdVRwuw5bPcRwn_3klWpup_Z5uSPFq706S3IIM4zvNLh8TNnB0jCoejJK7MmuDlKujC3IZ0DFwGbeVWpSC05E1Uanq-aod3Ox7CveftJptq9DmC21Vj50OwxnesRnVx1FFUUbXKizzMXw22mJHImg_4r_m_tQOYjHQ_QtoxzXWfb_OnQRWSuC7dJ3la14P6WfcUkYEBIpQ9AKVMZRz3HdxsW7ROUEk2RrOTfzPotj9J_Zhsc3fUzMoyLLeHRgPlWqx9OtrOVSUfnU_TqYA_Jc3tVDVhroSLIqd-grf_oBKl0A3UxzZZa1Di8hkhcW9aH0pinzxtLERGeYbPi3KeQd_kKxTx7diznxfj9T_o966kDMPz5y10RQfPOTVFH4pDv2mHGUgO6T8wBxFL5kurQHautz-_54PVpdnZSjL5Ci7ZKB9ncn9V0pp4qKklDQ0aAI9CiZPoZgCRAVEJEwYlSB3Q3wKCOKE4N-stiJbmXaargcjUFteUpipR7ky8hXJjQM3LSn=w605-h1075-no

Looking good! Exactly one of the builds I was contemplating but ended up to pricey very fast (hubs). What is the gramage on those? 1400-1500g?

Been looking around for the most cost effective chinese dealer carrying reputable rims. LB, yoeleo etc. Thinking of going with LB and the high profile race rim oriented approach. The bike will see mostly tarmac and gravel so…

April 6, 2016, 12:33 p.m.

A year+ of trail bike abuse on the LB 31.2mm/27.5" for me in Seattle area. They're still going, nice and true, and my alum rear rims are usually full of flat spots a year in, or fully dented and unusable. I'm really happy with them over all.

The stock build was aluminum nipples, and I've broken 3 on drive-side rear. Brass (as always) would have been a better choice. Next time I break a nip I'll replace all the drive side with brass. Front seems to be fine with alum nips.

Only beef is for me 31mm (inner) is too wide. Next time I'll go with something close to 27mm so that the original Minions work better. No benefit I see to going 30+. Minion 2.35 side knobs tear off faster with wide rims, both front and rear.

Magic Mary works great on these wider tires, so at least there's a good choice for front tire. Winter rear tires have been harder for me to get dialed in on these without going heavier. Purgatory is a great rear dry condition tire on these.

-- Founder of Abit Gear MTB shorts --

April 6, 2016, 1:14 p.m.

Only beef is for me 31mm (inner) is too wide. Next time I'll go with something close to 27mm so that the original Minions work better. No benefit I see to going 30+. Minion 2.35 side knobs tear off faster with wide rims, both front and rear.

interesting. i recently built a set of wheels with arc30s and was worried my dhr2's wouldn't play nicely with them. but, so far so good - volume/cushion is a bit better and traction, too. not looking forward to them dying earlier though :(

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 6, 2016, 4:34 p.m.

Looking good! Exactly one of the builds I was contemplating but ended up to pricey very fast (hubs). What is the gramage on those? 1400-1500g?

Been looking around for the most cost effective chinese dealer carrying reputable rims. LB, yoeleo etc. Thinking of going with LB and the high profile race rim oriented approach. The bike will see mostly tarmac and gravel so…

didn't weigh them when I got them in but my rough calculator puts them at 1318grams based off of approximations I found on the internet… they are crazy light.

weight(g) # total
spokes 4.41 56 246.96
nipples 0.31 56 17.36
rear hub 216 1 216
front hub 118 1 118
rims 360 2 720

I'd go with LB, everyone I know around here (SF Bay area) that is using CF that isn't enve is on LB. Haven't heard of issues from my friends on them.

April 7, 2016, 10:24 p.m.

I'd also point you in this direction;

http://www.wovenprecision.com/

They do a lot of CX rims. I have a set of 29er rims that have been really good and they're good guys too.

April 8, 2016, 2:16 a.m.

didn't weigh them when I got them in but my rough calculator puts them at 1318grams based off of approximations I found on the internet… they are crazy light.

weight(g) # total
spokes 4.41 56 246.96
nipples 0.31 56 17.36
rear hub 216 1 216
front hub 118 1 118
rims 360 2 720

I'd go with LB, everyone I know around here (SF Bay area) that is using CF that isn't enve is on LB. Haven't heard of issues from my friends on them.

Even if you ad some `real world weight´, that is crazy light. Def gonna build something similar for my next mountainbike build. For now I´m "stuck" with narrow but sexy mavic 26" wheels. Could be worse me being a student at the moment. First world problems etc.

I'd also point you in this direction;

http://www.wovenprecision.com/

They do a lot of CX rims. I have a set of 29er rims that have been really good and they're good guys too.

Those CX-wheels are 1300 usd not including duty/tax/shipping. Sexy though. I could build my own CK/i9 LB wheels for about the same amount, maybe less.

April 9, 2016, 2:53 p.m.

Those CX-wheels are 1300 usd not including duty/tax/shipping. Sexy though. I could build my own CK/i9 LB wheels for about the same amount, maybe less.

Prices are in a Canadian I think. They're out in Ottawa. For what it's worth. :)

April 12, 2016, 4:28 p.m.

So I´ve got a really stupid off topic question:

Does straight pull hubs with spoke holes, thats to say hubs without open channels to fit the spoke head, work with bladed spokes? The bladed part of the spoke looks wider than the hole on a pro 4 sp to me.

I do not want to place an order for a bunch of spokes that won´t fit :)

Big spoke picture is big

April 12, 2016, 6:07 p.m.

So I´ve got a really stupid off topic question:

Does straight pull hubs with spoke holes, thats to say hubs without open channels to fit the spoke head, work with bladed spokes? The bladed part of the spoke looks wider than the hole on a pro 4 sp to me.

I do not want to place an order for a bunch of spokes that won´t fit :)

Big spoke picture is big

Depends on the width of the bladed bit. I have bladed spokes with a j bend in normal DT hubs. The spokes are sapim cxray and the flat bit is not that wide and fits the flange holes. People used to have spoke holes slotted to fit bladed spokes. I suppose it could be done withstraight pull hub flanges too.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

April 13, 2016, 1:47 p.m.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 13, 2016, 3:37 p.m.

Depends on the width of the bladed bit. I have bladed spokes with a j bend in normal DT hubs. The spokes are sapim cxray and the flat bit is not that wide and fits the flange holes. People used to have spoke holes slotted to fit bladed spokes. I suppose it could be done withstraight pull hub flanges too.

Yupp, sounds logical that the holes would the same diameter as on ordinary flanges. Thx for the info!