11 Speed Cassette Issues

May 11, 2016, 8:03 a.m.

So I busted a spoke on my rear wheel the other day, pulled off my cassette to replace it, and when I put the cassette back on, it won't bottom out anymore. It's a SRAM 1175 11 speed, obviously going onto an XD driver. I've looked up as much as I can on this, including various youtube videos and maintenance articles. I've tried lubing everything up as much as I could, first with grease, then triflow. I've cleaned it all off and started over again. Nothing I do will let me tighten the cassette up on the driver enough so that it doesn't have a slight amount of movement (side to side rocking). Anyone have any experience with problems with 11 speed cassettes?

Oh and I don't really have access to a competent LBS within 3 hours, so that's not really an option.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

May 11, 2016, 10:10 a.m.

on a normal freehub/cassette setup there's always a tiny bit of play… not sure if this is also the case with an xd driver. could be slop in the bearing you're feeling? the littlest bit at the hub body will feel noticeable an inch+ further out at the end of the axle

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 11, 2016, 10:27 a.m.

It was a couple of mm of play at the largest cog on the chainring. I ended up pulling the whole hub apart and found that the bearings had disintegrated, which for a very new bike and maybe 100km on the drivetrain shouldn't have happened. Looking into warranty now.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

May 11, 2016, 10:30 a.m.

It was a couple of mm of play at the largest cog on the chainring. I ended up pulling the whole hub apart and found that the bearings had disintegrated, which for a very new bike and maybe 100km on the drivetrain shouldn't have happened. Looking into warranty now.

What hubs are those? Sounds like something to steer clear of…

May 12, 2016, 9:36 a.m.

What hubs are those? Sounds like something to steer clear of…

Wouldn't be surprised if it's stan's hub

May 12, 2016, 10:36 a.m.

Hope Fatsno rear. Until last year I've had a lot of great things to say about Hope hubs, but this is the second hub to die in a way like this for me recently.