1 bike.

Aug. 7, 2010, 5:02 p.m.

I ride bikes 4-5 days a week. My remedy sees 3 of those days minimum and I ride my podium maybe 1 or 2 days. I don't ride the park much and I prefer the super-d trail riding style A LOT these days so I've been contemplating the 1 bike idea. I can sell my 2 bikes and build 1 shit hot bike which I could swap wheels and shocks(coil[HTML_REMOVED] air) depending on what kind of riding I'm doing. It's just an idea but I can't get the image of this bike out of my head(minus all the bontrager crap).

Anyone else contemplating the 1 bike thing?

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Aug. 7, 2010, 5:12 p.m.

I am totally with you on the one bike idea.
95% of the time I'm on my 6" bike. I have 2 sets of wheels that I swap out. The big bike is basically gathering dust.
I will however always keep my hardtail as a backup.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Aug. 7, 2010, 5:27 p.m.

I thought I could with my Uzzi, now I have the Cove Handjob too.

You can convince yourself that 1 bike can do it all, but soon you'll be lusting after another.

Aug. 7, 2010, 5:33 p.m.

I have been attempting to curb my bike lust but So far the bikes have won. As far as my riding goes it's all mountain, all the time as most of the stories I'm doing these days also lend themselves to a smaller bike.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Aug. 7, 2010, 5:34 p.m.

the toughest part of the one bike idea is when parts break or need servicing. if you ride lots a 2 day turn around on a shock service means your not riding for 2 days…..oh and heaven forbid if something needs to be warrantied.

if you have parts you can swap, great, but one bike will see more abuse than 2, just in the fact that on days when the big bike could be used, you would to you a smaller bike.does this create a greater chance of parts breaking, i think so.

oh, stupidest post ape has ever made? 8 ball says likely

Aug. 7, 2010, 5:36 p.m.

oh, stupidest post ape has ever made? 8 ball says likely

especially since that bike doesn't even come "raw"

who is he trying to kid?

Aug. 7, 2010, 5:38 p.m.

I'm in the same boat, but contemplating slimming down the herd to only 3.

iforonewelcome.com

Aug. 7, 2010, 5:39 p.m.

haha. I wondered when you'd pop up considering this post flies directly in the face of all that is reasonable to you.

I wouldn't call it stupid. I have ridden the living piss out of remedy(that means it's in perfect shape when it comes to resell) and can safely claim that this has pretty much been my one bike for the last year. Socoms were stripped and sold while I waited for the Podium. I can only think of 2 times on cypress where I missed having a big rig.

Aug. 7, 2010, 5:40 p.m.

Hahaha!

Just another stage in the great circle of bike ownership. You'll have your one bike, then start riding trails where it performs mediocre. Soon you will be thinking how rad it would be to have a bike that could dominate that style of riding, and another for this style of riding….etc.

I think the best way to own many bikes and be happy, is to not lust over new gear all the time, but rather build up your stable with the bikes you need/want over several years. Especially at this point, bike are only slowly going to get better so sitting on a Knolly Podium for the next 3-4 years isn't a loss at all.

Keep what you already have unless you owe some kingpin big time and are desperate for cash.

Aug. 7, 2010, 5:40 p.m.

especially since that bike doesn't even come "raw"

who is he trying to kid?

and every bike comes in raw if you give 75 bucks to your local bead-blaster.

Aug. 7, 2010, 5:44 p.m.

I love the idea of one bike but the back-up hardtail seems a better plan. Just make sure that "one" bike is airsprung, very light and has a full seat-tube (like your picture)… can't figure out why I've got 3 more hardtails and a roadbike though.

Aug. 7, 2010, 5:47 p.m.

haha. ken, you own a bikeshop so you like to encourage bike sales! Your dream is that someone will one day walk into Oak Bay and say - "I'll take 1 of everything please and don't spare the ti bolts!!"

Aug. 7, 2010, 5:50 p.m.

Anyone else contemplating the 1 bike thing?

isn't that basically an '08 Remedy with a deg slacker ha?

a Scratch Carbon would be sweet.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 7, 2010, 5:50 p.m.

I've pretty much been riding the one bike for a year. I take the bigger bike out for Cypress days, but if I had to get rid of the Cypress bike, I'm not sure I would consider it too much of a loss, I would just find more places to ride on the main bike.
These days, I would pick an XC ride over a Cypress shuttle, so I think what you are experiencing Ape, is just a realignment of what riding means to you, and what tools are necessary to do the job.

Aug. 7, 2010, 5:52 p.m.

Also, does it irritate the crap out of anyone else when brakes have a banjo fitting to realign the hose, yet they still leave it with a big loop like on the rear?