1 bike.

Aug. 7, 2010, 9:56 p.m.

I have the perfect One bike: my slayer. Yet, it was not enough because I have more fun blasting DH trails on a big bike, and slaying flowy singletrack on my XC bike.

The one bike is, and always will be a myth.

End of thread.

I'm guessing this time next year, Ape will have 3 bikes instead of 2…..

Aug. 7, 2010, 9:58 p.m.

^ Like I said, if you can avoid gearwhoring every year, then you can afford to get an additional new bike every year to add to the stable.

Aug. 7, 2010, 10 p.m.

I'm guessing this time next year, Ape will have 3 bikes instead of 2…..

:lol:
we'll need to bookmark this thread for next year

Aug. 7, 2010, 10:06 p.m.

One mountain bike is easily done, esp with the 2011 offerings (scratch, range). That's my plan. At one point 6 bikes were in my basement and I couldn't believe it… road, commuter, fr, ht, dj, am fully…

The new rigs look like they fit the bill quite nicely. A bike you can ride up fromme or burke and rip down on the weekdays and take to the park for some slightly less than "no fear 18-22 year old I bounce when I hit the ground" rippin.

THAT being said, I will never own just one bike. I ride skateparks when I'm not injured and I commute, so that's two. But one do-it-all mountain bike is something I can visualize.

As for warranty and service - learn to take care of the mechanical stuff yourself. Warranty doesn't take long and if you're really sad about the 2 weeks you missed out on splurge on some lights and go for a bicycle ride in the fall.

I am contemplating the Norco Range. It fits the bill for a do-it-all and Norco is close enough that I won't be dealing with US bike manu lag-time for any warranty issues.

Aug. 7, 2010, 10:19 p.m.

I have a quiver - 5x5, HT 29'er, Freeride/DH'y 7inch'ish bike and a road bike. Truth be told the 5x5 gets the most use. The HT next, then the road bike and finally the FR/DH'y bike. But, I get the biggest grins when I hit the WBP with the FR/DH'y bike. But, I love rolling on the pavement. Oh, yeah, the HT is a blast too.

It would be really tough to make a decision to go to just one because they all do something way better than the other ones.

Aug. 7, 2010, 10:24 p.m.

Having one bike is a bit frustrating but awesome. Its a great feeling to do a top to bottom Fromme, then go on an XC ride. Or better yet, a top to bottom Seymour to XC! Not wishing for your other bike is sweet. It's hard to do, it definitely requires you knowing exactly what you want in a bike. It also requires lots of suspension fine tuning.
One bike is do able and tons of fun. The one disadvantage is that no matter how hard you try, people on XC bikes will always XC faster, and people on big bikes will always DH faster. If you dont mind working harder (it makes riding better for me, i get more out of each ride) then its a great time.

Aug. 7, 2010, 10:42 p.m.

Currently for mountain bikes I am running a:

AM hardtail (140mm fork)
5x5 Trail bike
6x6 Lite FR bike

In the future I could see running these bikes:
XC hardtail ([HTML_REMOVED]24lb)
6(talas)x5 trail bike
7x7 Mini DH bike

I could never run just one mountain bike. The variety of trails on the island would always leave me wanting another bike for the stable.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Aug. 7, 2010, 11:27 p.m.

The reality is yes, you can run one bike, but it will always be some sort of compromise. Even a 2-4 year old x-c bike will do what it's intended to do better then a light brand new FR bike.

money and space are the only 2 factors when it comes to owning one bike, IMO. Sure if you just do one type of riding and don't venture far from your local riding scene but what fun is that….shit just on Burke alone, I can enjoy riding a 5x4 xc, 6x6 AM or a 8x8 DH bike.

Sure Dave can buy/own one bike and sure he could be awesomely happy with it, but if the frame cracks and he has to wait more then a week to get a warrantied frame…or he decides to go to whistler for the day and he has to hang off the back all day long….or….

Aug. 7, 2010, 11:56 p.m.

Never going to one bike, although the concept is cool. Currently I have a full on DH rig which gets quite a bit of use, a heavily modified Norco 4X which I am using for riding which it's design was not intended and a steel hardtail which I can run single speed or geared. I also run similar brake and drivetrain setups so I can swap wheels if one bike is down for a period of time. The DH rig is going to get less love this offseason and I won't be upgrading or changing for the next couple years. I'm buying a Norco Range 1 as soon as they are available to fill the gap in my quiver. A Fromme, Burke, Eagle, Squamish, Whistler Valley trails bike and the list could go one where the 6X6 is going to be my main ride. A second (burlier) set of wheels and I'm good to go………

Shed head!

Aug. 8, 2010, 12:01 a.m.

I'm finding it extremely difficult to buy another bike with my current set up. I've got an old (but well loved) 2007 Norco Six One with two wheelsets and two forks.
A dual crown and burly wheelset for any DH/FR runs and
A lightweight single crown fork and lightweight wheelset for AM/XC duties.
All parts are compatible and the best part is that it takes an honest 12min to make the swap! Saves space and money.
I can't justify buying another bike because with the two setups I can cover a massive range of riding. Twelve foot stepdowns to Seven Summit adventures.

Aug. 8, 2010, 12:01 a.m.

Having one Bike is like marrying one woman.

Seems really great at the time, but in reality is a stupid idea.

Aug. 8, 2010, 12:15 a.m.

We praise the effects of gravity on one, and turn a blind eye to the effects on the other.

Aug. 8, 2010, 7:01 a.m.

One bike will be a compromise for sure. Jack of all trades master of none. You'll have a bike that won't descend like a dh bike and won't climb like an xc bike.

Aug. 8, 2010, 8:46 a.m.

I have been trying to do the "one bike" thing for a few years after getting rid of my glory for a snowmobile. I ran a Heckler and it lacked on the dh days, I had a reign x1 and it lacked on the xc days.

2010 brought me a reign xo, it is in my opinion the bike to own if you want to run 1 bike.

I rode it in the 24hrs of adrenaline and was only 3 minutes off the xc geeks lap times on a 18km course. It rips the bike park with only a change of tires.

I am suprised there is not more talk about the bike on these boards.

Aug. 8, 2010, 10:04 a.m.

Good input here which makes me think the 1 bike question was one worth exploring. Will I have just 1 bike next year? I don't know - I just see the current crop of 6"-7" do it all bikes as an option for those who predominantly ride all-mountain.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.