xo everything
dhx air
chromag components
selle italia saddle
hope hubs on stans flows
maxxis 2.35 singleply rubber
LYRIK
a little carbon everywhere…

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Aug. 7, 2010, 6:13 p.m.

Only ever had one bike at a time. Been a Delirium T for the past 3 years. It works fine for everything but it's definitely a jack of all trades, master of none scenario. Suits me fine. Next frame will be lighter - Nomad, Enduro, Scratch?? - but similiar build… air, crossmax sx, tubeless, Thomson, XTR etc.

"Don't talk to me about sophistication. I've been to Leeds" - George Whitebread.

Aug. 7, 2010, 6:17 p.m.

I was totally happy with having my Reign as my one bike, and I was customizing it to make it more downhill friendly. I put on an LG1 plus a 36t ring and a Fox 36. So now it will handle descending a little better but will climb pretty much anything I was climbing before.

But that new BB7 frame I couldn't pass up! Might get used once a month but whatever…..

Aug. 7, 2010, 6:19 p.m.

In a perfect world you need have bikes (not including the cruiser/commuter side of life)

Efficient xc/trail bike.

Middle weight brawler AM/trail/Fromme/light FR/do it all rig

Big Rig.

Smart frame and parts choice would allow a huge amount of parts swapping. Thrash a wheel on the middle weight and need a quick replacement for xc ride snag the wheels of the Efficient bike, or if it's a light FR day then the wheels off the DH bike.

Pic the same drivetraian brand across all three. Try to run the same brakes or at least something that all run the same pads.

Maybe only bling out that middle weight bike because you'll run it the most. Do you need baller parts on the Big Bike if you are only going to use is sparingly.

So I'd say maybe downgrade a few parts on the Podium and give the Remedy some love.

Aug. 7, 2010, 6:28 p.m.

haha. ken, you own a bikeshop so you like to encourage bike sales! Your dream is that someone will one day walk into Oak Bay and say - "I'll take 1 of everything please and don't spare the ti bolts!!"

Only one of everything?

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Aug. 7, 2010, 6:28 p.m.

Also, does it irritate the crap out of anyone else when brakes have a banjo fitting to realign the hose, yet they still leave it with a big loop like on the rear?

If that slack were taken up, think how long it would look at the handlebar! lol! Its just a new bike from the factory. Many new bikes come with excess housing and/or hoses. The bike was likely built in a hurry.

thinkin bout bikes

Aug. 7, 2010, 6:44 p.m.

gotta have the quiver. gotta.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Aug. 7, 2010, 6:46 p.m.

Smart frame and parts choice would allow a huge amount of parts swapping. Thrash a wheel on the middle weight and need a quick replacement for xc ride snag the wheels of the Efficient bike, or if it's a light FR day then the wheels off the DH bike.

Pic the same drivetraian brand across all three. Try to run the same brakes or at least something that all run the same pads.

That's so true. Bryon Enns has a bunch of bikes from XC to DH and they all have 20mm front hubs, same brakes, and same drive train brand. Smartest thing that hobbit ever did.

Aug. 7, 2010, 7:08 p.m.

so what do you ride if you lyrik blows a rebound damper and parts are on back order for over a week in prime riding season?
if your gonna run 2 wheelset and suspension set-ups it would just make more sense to run 2 bikes…you just finished saying the Remedy is in great shape.

inless your cash situation has changed or you recently started to pay full retail for bikes, i can't find a single reason for you to sell both bikes and go to one. although, if big bike stuff is not your game lately i could see getting rid of that and getting the scratch.

the swappable parts is awesome and works really well. i used to run all the same brakes but found it so easy to swap from one brand to another, so it really isn't an issue, although i do run all the same rotor set-ups.

Aug. 7, 2010, 7:48 p.m.

I like the minimalist simplicity of the one bike programme, but the spectre of mehanical instigated downtime looms large - esp when ride time is so precious (for me anyways). perhaps a slack long travel trailbike backed up with a versatile steel hardtail might do the trick…

Aug. 7, 2010, 8:05 p.m.

gotta have the quiver. gotta.

this
sorry, but i'm not even remotely interested in having one. i like having a variety to choose from, even though i ride my ht the most.

- i like having a dj'er, it's light and easy to handle
- i like having the ht as a trailbike. going on 9yrs with this frame and i like to think it's made me a better rider. it's certainly taught me a lot and while sometimes my body aches from no suspension it puts a big smile on my face every time i get out. that and the maintenance is pretty minor for the most part
- i like having the dh bike, good for cypress and bike parks, and it's a real treat to ride

i'd like to add in:
- 'cross bike for road riding/commuting (as i seem to be driving way less than i used to)
- trail bike with suspension, likely a 6x6, for when the ht finally gets retired

i'm with bryan on one thing for sure - it's nice to have a backup if something goes wrong. i know a lot of people have to get a fork serviced and then are bike-less. no thanks.

Aug. 7, 2010, 8:12 p.m.

This post is just more undercover bike whoring. Its only been 3 months and the new bike fever has already faded and he wants a new bike again. Selling the older bikes is just trying to justify finances to have a brand new sparkler! Then he'd come to his senses and re-buy a 2nd bike. The unconscious mind at work!!!

Just kidding, Ape. Lets ride soon…

Aug. 7, 2010, 8:14 p.m.

perhaps a slack long travel trailbike backed up with a versatile steel hardtail might do the trick…

that's just the way I roll

Aug. 7, 2010, 8:31 p.m.

I rode with just one for a good long time. 6x6 with a fairly beefy build. Not a great trail bike, but not awful either. Perfect for Shore riding and Whistler. Now I have a HT and a big bike as well. I really like having options.

One bike is appealing, but a quiver of HT/trail bike, FR bike, DH bike is even more appealing. That's just me though.

Aug. 7, 2010, 9:53 p.m.

I have the perfect One bike: my slayer. Yet, it was not enough because I have more fun blasting DH trails on a big bike, and slaying flowy singletrack on my XC bike.

The one bike is, and always will be a myth.