09 Norco LT2 or 09 Pitch Comp?

May 3, 2010, 2:13 p.m.

I'm really keen on getting an AM bike. These are two good options for me I think. I think I can get the Pitch for $300 less than the Fluid. The Fluid is kitted a bit better: juicy 7 vs 5, x-7 vs x-5 shifters, x9 vs x7 rear der, etc. Maybe the Pitch has a better shock and fork though, I dunno. A lot of reviews, for whatever they are worth, mention repairs and problems with the fork and shock on the Fluid. I guess they work great as long as they don't break.

Any suggestions?

May 3, 2010, 2:21 p.m.

I'm really keen on getting an AM bike. These are two good options for me I think. I think I can get the Pitch for $300 less than the Fluid. The Fluid is kitted a bit better: juicy 7 vs 5, x-7 vs x-5 shifters, x9 vs x7 rear der, etc. Maybe the Pitch has a better shock and fork though, I dunno. A lot of reviews, for whatever they are worth, mention repairs and problems with the fork and shock on the Fluid. I guess they work great as long as they don't break.

Any suggestions?

FWIW, the 55 is really easy to service on your own if you are so inclined. Both really solid bikes. Take both out and see what works for you.

May 3, 2010, 3:45 p.m.

have you seen the 09 lt2? bike is LIME GREEN

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 3, 2010, 3:49 p.m.

have you seen the 09 lt2? bike is LIME GREEN

lol. I don't mind the green, and I think the orange creamsicle orange/white LT3 looks cool!

May 3, 2010, 3:53 p.m.

lol. I don't mind the green, and I think the orange creamsicle orange/white LT3 looks cool!

ugh. unless its something iconic like bontrager rasta colors, snooker-ball breezers or yeti teal (shudder) i have a hard time with bikes that aren't white, grey or black

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 3, 2010, 4:02 p.m.

ugh. unless its something iconic like bontrager rasta colors, snooker-ball breezers or yeti teal (shudder) i have a hard time with bikes that aren't white, grey or black

I like the grey, white, black but it is kinda tiresome. I saw a SC Blur LT the other day. Ano Brown, I thought it looked very classy. Also kinda liked the baby blue, or rather "spitfire blue" on some of the Knolly '09s - wasn't so sure til I saw one for real.

May 3, 2010, 4:09 p.m.

I like the grey, white, black but it is kinda tiresome. I saw a SC Blur LT the other day. Ano Brown, I thought it looked very classy. Also kinda liked the baby blue, or rather "spitfire blue" on some of the Knolly '09s - wasn't so sure til I saw one for real.

My 09 LT1 is the same ano brown as SC uses, and it's nice, but the green is still cool.

May 3, 2010, 4:15 p.m.

That is a nice lime green. My 08 Six is a pretty ugly green, but it POPS in pictures.

May 3, 2010, 4:23 p.m.

My 09 LT1 is the same ano brown as SC uses, and it's nice, but the green is still cool.

Norcos - I like the brown LT, the green I could live with. On the '09 Fluids (non-LT) I liked the colors - but, I wasn't so keen on the big white loud stickers that were smacked all over them, it looks Euro-roadie style. It makes me think of the folks who ride around wearing advertising for companies that don't even exist in North America. Not that I'm down on Spandex.

May 3, 2010, 4:24 p.m.

oh man i've totally derailed this thread towards aesthetics - the op must be pissed!

i've heard bad things about the lt2's fork and shock. i don't think i'll buy a marazzochi for a while with all the qc problems they've had. whereas the pike on the pitch is pretty bomber - never really heard anyone complain about those forks. and fox rp's are the $hit. the rest of the parts are a pull imo - juicys are juicys, and you can get a full x9 dt for ~ $300 - but suspension is a pretty big thing as it can take a while to get warranty and parts sorted and during this time you're without a bike, and upgrading/replacing is $$$

personally i'd go with the pitch - 6" xc bikes on steroids like the lt are popular but they don't do it for me - too tall and steep. my $0.02

May 3, 2010, 4:47 p.m.

personally i'd go with the pitch - 6" xc bikes on steroids like the lt are popular but they don't do it for me - too tall and steep. my $0.02

The specs are pretty close.

LT- HA 68, bb 355mm
Pitch - HA 67, bb 356mm

Neither are exactly tall and steep when it comes to AM rigs on the market. Only bike I can think of off the top of my head that is steeper and lower is the new Spitfire. Some people are running SS and 4X bikes as AM bikes that are lower and steeper, but those make some serious pedaling compromises.

May 3, 2010, 4:50 p.m.

I'd get a blue one for sure!

May 3, 2010, 4:55 p.m.

I agree with boomforeal. Do you already have a bigger bike? If so that helps with choosing the lighter bike.

The Pitch is 33.5 lbs vs. the Fluid LT2 is 34.5. Lighter will help with the climbing. Pitch is slacker by a hair LT:68 and Pitch:67 which helps with the descending (maybe). I rode the LT2 and it felt too heavy and sluggish. I bought a Fluid as an all mountain bike.

300$ before tax is alot of money - you can use that for upgrades and replacements when you break stuff!

May 3, 2010, 5 p.m.

Dirt called the Pitch one of the best trailbikes they have ridden.

I used to own a Fluid LT (and am now on a Fluid), and it was a pretty killer bike. My 5" travel Fluid is stiffer out back than my brand new DH rig.

I think it comes down to where you're riding. I have a DH bike, so for me, the trail bike is meant to be ridden on trails. I found the 6" bike was just too much bike to feel comfortable pedalling all day when most of my friends are on 5" bikes. There's also less overlap between the DH and the 5" bike.

If it's going to be your only bike and you're riding somewhere steep or rocky, I'd definitely go for the 6" (LT). If you're riding smoother trails with more berms and features, the Pitch would probably be more fun.

SOR

May 3, 2010, 6:03 p.m.

I'm loving my Fluid LT. Worried it wouldn't be slack enough but really haven't found to be. But it is a one bike kinda bike. As others have said I think the Fluid LT might have too much overlap with other bikes in you quiver if that is the story.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"