09 Norco LT2 or 09 Pitch Comp?

May 5, 2010, 5:18 p.m.

Boom for real. I can't explain Specializeds numbers. Kind of funny though. I have nothing but good things to say about the Pitch though.

Definitely speaks to the fact you need to try before you buy.

May 9, 2010, 11:41 a.m.

I demo'd the Fluid LT2. It actually climbed ok and it really helped with the 2' drops coming down. The rear bobbed just a bit more than I'm used to but I was really impressed with the climbing. Coming down, whereas on the etsx I felt like I was really pitching forward (positioned with arms extended, way behind the seat), the Fluid took it all in stride no problems.

There were two things that I didn't like on the Fluid, although I imagine they relate to all AM bikes. First, the Fluid was not as accurate as the etsx. Generally speaking I felt like I had more control on the etsx on the flatter sections. There's no doubt that the etsx would be a lot better on xc trails. Mind you, the etsx isn't as forgiving in sticky situations. Secondly, I don't think I had nearly as much clearance with the Fluid as compared to my etsx. I'm sure a Pitch, Enduro, Slayer, etc, would all be the in the same boat, and maybe it doesn't really matter all that much anyways.

While I felt that even though the Fluid made things easier on the NS, especially on the drops, I really think that I'm the biggest, weakest link. I guess that's pretty obvious, as it's the rider that matters most. But even with the Fluid I had a lot of problems going down trails like Pingu, Pangor and less so on Severed Dick. So even if the Fluid makes the ride better I'm still not sure that I can take advantage of it. The thought of wiping out on those steep rocky sections or falling off an 8" wide log doesn't appeal to me, I already have enough metal in my arm I don't need any more!

Overall I give the Fluid LT2 a big thumbs up as a bike and now I just have to think over where I want to spend my time riding… If I really want to tackle the aggressive NS trails then I'll go with the Fluid. If the local trails are too much then maybe I'll stick with the etsx and try to find xc trails somewhere else.

May 10, 2010, 9:55 a.m.

WRT the bobbing, I have noticed it too, but if you get the propedal lever installed, it really does change the climbing characteristics significantly (I have a Roco with TST, and the difference between on and off is night and day).

May 10, 2010, 3:34 p.m.

WRT the bobbing, I have noticed it too, but if you get the propedal lever installed, it really does change the climbing characteristics significantly

+1 i had a fluid with an rp23 and the propedal was a lifesaver. a friend has a lt2 with "factory set propedal" and his suspension bobs like crazy while climbing

price you pay for the most active suspension configuration there is, i suppose

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 10, 2010, 3:44 p.m.

price you pay for a suspension configuration that is almost as active as Trek's ABP, i suppose

FYP

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com