09 Norco LT2 or 09 Pitch Comp?

May 3, 2010, 10:06 p.m.

I have a 5" Rocky ETSX. I have decent balance and handling skills but I find the even the easier trails on Fromme to be a handful with the etsx. Anything slightly steep gets tricky because of the angles. I've heard that the rocky altitude is much improved over the etsx for AM riding.

I'm not sure that I would keep the etsx. I'd love to for times where it's more suitable but financially I don't think that it is realistic. I guess it also depends on how much I can get for a 2006 etsx-30 in great shape.

Where would I ride? I live in East Van and the reason I want more of an AM bike is because the most convenient places to ride are SFU and Fromme. I'd like to take advantage of those places. However, I'm sure I won't be doing anything over the top - no big drops etc. Probably nothing harder than Oil Can or Seventh Secret.

thanks

May 3, 2010, 10:23 p.m.

Sounds like either would be a good fit for what you want to do.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

May 4, 2010, 8:42 a.m.

I've spent a day on each. And I have trouble deciding. Both bikes made me feel pretty confident on the downhill sections, and both seemed to pedal well. I do have two friends with LTs and both have their fork in for warranty already. To me that would be the biggest decision factor.

May 4, 2010, 8:52 a.m.

I've spent a day on each. And I have trouble deciding. Both bikes made me feel pretty confident on the downhill sections, and both seemed to pedal well. I do have two friends with LTs and both have their fork in for warranty already. To me that would be the biggest decision factor.

Like I mentioned in another thread, if you are mechanically inclined, then the 55 is really easy and quick to service yourself, so if it does fail (normally the ATA), then you can easily fix it. I know that for some people though, they would rather send in the fork, in which case, the 55 isn't super awesome.

May 4, 2010, 10:12 a.m.

re: the 55. My dad's a tv repairman. He has an ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Seriously though, I have no doubt that I can fix the fork I'm just not sure if it's something that I'll want to deal with. Thanks for the heads up.

May 4, 2010, 10:18 a.m.

I prefer having parts I can service myself, and the ATA takes about 20 minutes to do, enough time to finish a beer, and your good to go with no downtime, but it's not for everyone.

May 4, 2010, 10:43 a.m.

If you want one bike, go for the LT. It is a really fun bike that can do a bit of everything. I had mine setup in sort of an AM light DH style and it was a blast to ride.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

May 4, 2010, 11:06 a.m.

I'm really enjoying my Pitch. I haven't ridden the LT to compare though.

If you could save $300 buying the Pitch I might suggest buying it, immediately selling the fork and getting a 160 mm fork for it. The Lyrik on mine reduced the weight and the geo difference is awesome! I think this bike should have a 160 mm fork stock.

The wheels on the Pitch are on the weak side.

It goes without saying, a thorough test on both would be a good idea. And I am sure you would be happy with either.

May 4, 2010, 1:18 p.m.

If you could save $300 buying the Pitch I might suggest buying it, immediately selling the fork and getting a 160 mm fork for it. The Lyrik on mine reduced the weight and the geo difference is awesome! I think this bike should have a 160 mm fork stock.

Ok, here's a few questions. What's the difference between a Lyrik 2-step, solo air and u-turn? The sram site gives little information. Secondly, what's the diff between a Lyrik and Pike? Finally, how hard is it to sell a new Pike (specialized fork) - I don't want to be out a bunch of $$.

The wheels on the Pitch are on the weak side.

I take it that the rims on the pitch aren't that great? I don't weigh a ton and I'm not super aggressive so I'd hope that I wouldn't have problems

May 4, 2010, 6:01 p.m.

Ok, I'll do my best here…

The Lyrik 2-step is adjustable from 115? to 160mm in one step and is air sprung. The solo air is air sprung and you can only adjust the travel internally by taking it apart and adding spacers. The coil u-turn is coil sprung and is adjustable between 115?-160mm by winding a knob many times. The solo air is lighter than the other two. The 2-step has had some reliability issues. The rebound and compression damping are the same.

The Pike has smaller stanchions, less travel and a less sophisticated damper that offers less adjustment. It is a great fork though, I just think the geo of the Pitch is awesome with a 160 mm fork.

I sold my Pike easily for $325, I had only ridden it a couple of times.

The rims just seem kind of soft. I weigh 140 lbs and the rear rim made it through a season. The metal dents really easily so any rock hits leave an impression. It sounds like you may be okay, especially if you keep the pressure up.

Hope this helps.

May 4, 2010, 7:37 p.m.

If you could save $300 buying the Pitch I might suggest buying it, immediately selling the fork and getting a 160 mm fork for it.

ugh, dunno about that - adding 25 mm to the front end of the pitch puts the hta at 66, the bb height at 14.5, the seat tube at 71. . . those are old school shore rig numbers, almost identical to the last gen cove g-spot. the pitch's numbers now are pretty solid, identical to the new gen g-spot, banshee rune, etc.

dwdw, you ride it, you like it, but adding a bigger fork to the pitch doesn't sound like no-brainer to me

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 5, 2010, 8:51 a.m.

you ride it, you like it, but adding a bigger fork to the pitch doesn't sound like no-brainer to me

I'd agree with this. The angles on the Pitch as is are pretty spot on. I am a heavy hack and I never felt the fork was too noodley underneath me.

May 5, 2010, 11:47 a.m.

Personal preference I guess. I've ridden both back to back and have a strong preference towards the 160 mm fork.

Shmish, again my best advice is to ride both. Numbers stated on company websites are often not accurate and opinions from internet retards like me are not worth much. Looking at numbers can be so deceiving. I often get a preconceived notion of how a bike will ride, and then after riding it is totally different. I didn't expect to like the Pitch, but after riding my wifes a few times, I ended up buying one.

Having said that the Norco might be awesome. only one way to find out!

May 5, 2010, 4:17 p.m.

Boom for Real,

I'm not sure where you got your numbers? Do you know this for sure? My BB is sitting at less than 13.5", with nobby nic tires. I can't see other tires adding a full inch? Also, my head angle when I measured was somewhere between 66.5 and 67 degrees. I'm not looking at starting a pissing contest, just want to give this guy an accurate picture.

Smyrly, I don't think the Pike is noodly at all. I just like the geo change. I weigh 140 lbs. Not much feels noodly to me.

May 5, 2010, 4:30 p.m.

I'm not sure where you got your numbers?

um, the interweb of course

ps: the numbers you are giving for your mod'd pitch sound rad

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave