08 66's Problems and fixes

Oct. 30, 2008, 5:44 p.m.

I have heard that the 08 and up 66's have some problems does anyone here know FOR REAL what are some of the problems and some of the fixes. Thanks.

I'm the best at being modest !

Oct. 30, 2008, 6:03 p.m.

Do you know the best solution. Get a different fork that is known to be reliable. Say that when you do here of the perfect fork, that never breaks, tell me, and I will kiss your feet. It seems all forks are have there problems. The only exception I can think of is an Avy fork.

:england:

Oct. 30, 2008, 6:27 p.m.

I understand that all foks can have some issues but I have heard that the 08 66's have left a few people putting more miles to the shop than on the trail.

I'm the best at being modest !

Oct. 30, 2008, 7:02 p.m.

I've heard of creaky crowns, and axles not tightening. As for fixes, send it back to Marz and pray?

Anyway, my 08 66 RC3 hasn't given me any trouble.

Oct. 30, 2008, 7:14 p.m.

supposedly all the bushing play from the factory is by design.

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/detailSPAFAQMTB.asp?IDFolder=159[HTML_REMOVED]IDOggetto=56248[HTML_REMOVED]LN=UK[HTML_REMOVED]Sito=usa-mtb[HTML_REMOVED]mCO=[HTML_REMOVED]mCW=[HTML_REMOVED]#37;23DQG%23weoRjjhwwl1WhvwrHvwhvr5%23LV%23QRW%23QXOO[HTML_REMOVED]mCJ=%23LQQHU%23MRLQ%23weoRjjhwwl%23DV%23weoDuhd%23RQ%23weoRjjhwwl1Lqwhur4%23%40%23weoDuhd1LGRjjhwwr%23

seems kinda lame to me. the '09 bikes that we've been building up also have the same play.

creaky crowns been seen, also you can get creaks coming out of the axle system if you get dirt in there, but a clean and grease makes things gravy.

Check my stuff for sale!

Oct. 30, 2008, 7:37 p.m.

I'm not answering your question but maybe giving you some piece of mind…The two problems I had with my 55 ATA Marzocchi Canada fixed in less than 48hrs…the fork has been awesome since the second visit. Those guys rock!!

Oct. 30, 2008, 8:26 p.m.

I've had 1 problem with my 66 ata, it sunk in it's travel. It was fixed on the spot in 10 minutes at Marzocchi and has been flawless ever since.

A question about the bushing play…is it something you can feel other than rocking the fork back and forth in the garage? I'd say, don't do that then. I've never felt anything while riding.

I don't know what is considered reliable out there these days. The Totems were a nightmare, I've got a buddy with 7 warranty trips on his Fox 36. My apparently problematic 66 ata has been a dream compared to those.

Oct. 30, 2008, 9:43 p.m.

and that could just be your luck. I don't know that the Totems were any more of a nightmare than the Marz forks that people have had continuous problems with. For each brand there have been problems. It all depends on your experiences, and those products you've had good experiences with you'll favour, and the ones that you haven't you won't. simple. But, it doesn't mean that that same fork is the same for everyone.
There is bushing play in a lot of forks that is meant to be there, in some Marz forks this year there was too much, and some a reasonable amount to not affect the performance. Just like some Totems had seal issues and some did not. So what're you gonna do, sell it right away? I guess there's no use in putting a 2 or 3 year warranty on a product then??? Chances are things will be sorted out, though not everyone is willing to wait in every situation.

.:NSTP:.

Oct. 31, 2008, 6:10 a.m.

i have 08 66 rc3s had loose bushings, axle came loose, and the crowns creaked mind you I tend to ride everything thrown in front of me. It took two weeks but in the end they just sent me brand new forks that were tuned up to say but the new ones are feeling great no probs they upgraded the axle system it has a rachet locking system so it will not back off and bushin play is almost nonexistant.

I highly recommend them sure its a new run on a fork design
and it will have some probs but they will stand behind them for 3 years

later

Dustin

Oct. 31, 2008, 6:59 a.m.

get a coil '07 66. marzocchi air sucks imho.

Oct. 31, 2008, 8:13 a.m.

I don't know what is considered reliable out there these days. The Totems were a nightmare, I've got a buddy with 7 warranty trips on his Fox 36. My apparently problematic 66 ata has been a dream compared to those.

So true, I have three friends with eithers 66 or 55 ATA forks where the cartridge has failed and the fork has sunken travel. I had an 07 Fox 36 Talas RC2 which never had any problems. Never creaked or leaked. All my bikes now have Rock Shox on them, Totem Coil, Lyric 2-step and Pike 426 Air and Coil with U-turn and none of them have given me problems. I maintain the seals and have given the Totem one rebuild. I just put 60,000 vertical feet on the Totem in 9 days recently on a trip to Peru and the fork worked flawlessly. So who is to say? Every fork manufacturer is going to have issues (some more than others it seems) and unfortunately it does not take long for a bad reputation to spread like wildfire (worse than high school). I used to ride Marzocchi exclusively and now I have switched to Rock Shox and my experience here is very good. Hopefully Marzocchi sorts out their quality control issues soon because a bad rep is sometimes hard to shake.

Shed head!

Oct. 31, 2008, 8:23 a.m.

You can get totem, 66 there isn't anything else in the market for 7" freeride SC.
You will have problems with both, but they are both easily fixable by suspensionwerx/Naz, however you should really learn how to rebuild fork yourself if you plan on investing over 1000bux on a fork.

Oct. 31, 2008, 8:38 a.m.

Hopefully Marzocchi sorts out their quality control issues soon because a bad rep is sometimes hard to shake.

Evidently not, in 2007 the Totem was pretty much the biggest joke out there. I had a 2 step that Sram admitted was a failure and could not be fixed. It was there most expensive fork that year. The other models suffered creaking crowns, seal and cartridge failures. A Totem without an oil ring on the stantion was something to talk about. Now, just a year later it seems the Totem is a good fork again and no one except for the people who paid $1000+ to do Sram's R[HTML_REMOVED]D for them remember that bad parts.

The bad rep doesn't seem to take long to shake at all.

Oct. 31, 2008, 8:52 a.m.

Evidently not, in 2007 the Totem was pretty much the biggest joke out there. I had a 2 step that Sram admitted was a failure and could not be fixed. It was there most expensive fork that year. The other models suffered creaking crowns, seal and cartridge failures. A Totem without an oil ring on the stantion was something to talk about. Now, just a year later it seems the Totem is a good fork again and no one except for the people who paid $1000+ to do Sram's R[HTML_REMOVED]D for them remember that bad parts.

The bad rep doesn't seem to take long to shake at all.

So I've heard, I missed out on all the fun with the 2007 models. My Totem came as factory spec from Norco, so I really didn't have a choice, and trust me, I considered switching to a 66 right away really hard. Fortunately I took a chance and my 2008 Totem has been a great fork. So I don't remember something I didn't experience. Like I said, hopefully Marzocchi sorts it out, apparently if you can switch it around in a year, people forgive and forget, but I won't be buying a Marzocchi fork for awhile.

Shed head!

Oct. 31, 2008, 10:54 a.m.

I've had my 08 66 RC3 for about 3 months and have ridden on it up Fromme about every second or third day. It hasn't given me one problem, yet. Like others have said, any fork will eventually give you a problem sooner or later.