06' Cove GSPOT - Chainguide set up questions

June 13, 2012, 3:46 p.m.

High,

Looking for some advice and help with chainguide set ups for my Cove Gspot 06.

I have a Saint crankset (810) with double rings and want to go single ring. Running a Renthal 32t Chainring. I believe the BB is 68/73.

I have a blackspire stinger and ring god.
I have a e13 LGS1 chainguide.
Both BB mount.

What do you think is the best to go with?
Do I need a wider BB or can I get away with what I have now?
Any advice welcome on setting this up single ring as I've seen loads of posts around forums and most confuse the fug outa me.

Thought there might be some folks here with some knowledge of the bike and guides that will work.

Thanks! k

June 13, 2012, 3:51 p.m.

I tried the same set up to no avail.

Unless you go with the 83mm bb shell and and run a ton of spacers the crank spindle is simply not long enough to reach all the way through and secure the other crank arm with the iscg adapter installed

I ended up getting a set of rf cranks as they gave a bit more room to play with spacing wise.

I can't remember exactly what guide it was…..

Try both and see if you have better luck!

Good luck!

brokezors

June 14, 2012, 11:35 a.m.

Thanks for the reply, helps.

I was planning to run sans adapter with just BB fit, either i guess will need same spacing solving.

Is it possible to run the 810 (68/73) cranks on the 815 (83) BB? as I brought the set up from ebay, almost new and the listing was 810 cranks/815 BB.

Any way to tell the BB's apart?

Cheers, K

June 14, 2012, 12:52 p.m.

I think the plastic coupling in middle is a different length… And would assume the spindle is longer as well.

It is really trial and error…. I was running the iscg adaptor on the bb.

brokezors

June 15, 2012, 12:52 p.m.

Why is there no space for the BB mount chainguide? Can you not just remove the single 2.5mm BB spacer and mount the guide there?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 15, 2012, 2:33 p.m.

It has been a couple years but If I remember correctly you needed the spacer between the frame and the adaptor due to the pivot surrounding the bb shell…..

brokezors

June 16, 2012, 9:06 a.m.

Why is there no space for the BB mount chainguide? Can you not just remove the single 2.5mm BB spacer and mount the guide there?

That is what I'm hoping to do, but as you can see in this pic, its a little tight in there with not much clearance on the suspension pivot's.

It has been a couple years but If I remember correctly you needed the spacer between the frame and the adaptor due to the pivot surrounding the bb shell…..

Going to be real tight, but looks like there is a fag papers clearance. There is no room to run the stinger plus even a 1mm spacer on the non drive side, so, will have a go.

If not I'll sandwich the middle ring with blackspire plates and try one of those bionicon chain tensions or something ghetto.

Don't want to give up the Saints, but what RF cranks did you run and guide Chief?

Cheers for the input guys.

-K

June 18, 2012, 11:57 a.m.

right, makes sense

If you could find/make something like a 1mm spacer, you could probably create just enough clearace for the guide. Having 1mm less of the non-driveside crank on spindle wouldn't make much difference.

Or… you could get a clutch rear derailleur, forget the lower pulley, and use something like this up top:

anyway, good luck!

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 22, 2012, 11:42 a.m.

Hope you got it sorted. I ended up running evolve x-type cranks. And it worked well until the bike was stolen….

The saint cranks did somewhat work but as they have pinch bolts instead of being pulled into the bb like the rf design they would rapidly loosen off

brokezors